Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS, now in SA mount...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS, now in SA mount... Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK DSG now show us samples. BTW How on earth did you mount it on that Sigma? The 35/1.4 is one of nikon's best and I really love that lens. I shall be fascinated to see how it renders on the foveon.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
OK DSG now show us samples. BTW How on earth did you mount it on that Sigma?
patrickh

I'd like to say it was easy but it was'nt...Its taken many hour of work to finish the job.
The aperture dial is attached to a sliding part inside that works the iris mechanism via two tiny screws.
I needed to remove the aperture dial to file down the two raised sections on the rear face so I undid to two tiny screws but as I did so bit that the part pushes against, sprung back, though I did'nt notice at the time.
I filed the aperture dial file down and went to replace it but could'nt get the two tiny screws back in because the part was now flopping about inside...Eventually I worked out that I could use a couple of sewing needles to prise it up into position, after which I could replace the screws.
Only problem was the iris no longer working when I turned the aperture dial!...I tried not to panic and had a Tea break.
When I came back to the lens, I had a hunch that the aperture lever on the top must be held back, against spring pressure, whilst the aperture dial is secured to the part at the same time. This was'nt easy to do at I had already snipped the aperture lever with some tin-snips..And I only had one pair of hands!.
Luckily I have lots of parts from lenses I have dismantled at one time or another and I found a small metal iris actuation bracket which I figured should be just right to hold the snipped off lever back...I had to drill a new hole in it and twist it with some pliers so it fitted perfectly then I screwed it in place with a single 10ba lens screw.
After that it was a doddle to screw the aperture dial back to the part.
When I tried the aperture dial the iris now worked! Very Happy
Then I had to saw off the short bayonet tube section of the Nikon mounting plate and using it as a drill template drill three new securing holes in the SA mounting plate, which I then countersinked.
Unfortunately I got a bit enthusiastic with the bit on one of the holes and accidentaly opened it out too much to hold a 10ba screw head.
So I drilled another hole through both plates and into the lenses mounting boss to a depth of about 2-2.5mm. Then I tapped the new hole with a 10ba tap and countersunk the new hole in the SA mounting plate.
Then I replaced the Nikon mounting plate, place the SA plate on top, screwed it down with three slightly longer screws and voila!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! what a story!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was some pro job! Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu and Carsten echo my sentiments exactly. Have you tried the lens yet?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I forgot about the silly size limit here so expect these to be moved to the oversize gallery soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Done.

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-35mm-f1-4-sigma-sa-samples-t11542.html