Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

paper wasp, a behavioural study in 55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: paper wasp, a behavioural study in 55mm Reply with quote

we noticed this paper wasp at its nest. it would wonder around, then stop and start flapping its wings. I am guessing this was a form of temperature regulation. mosst of the cells have eggs in them as you can see in the last picture. the paper wasp collects its wood fibers from both living trees and wooden fences then together with saliva make these rather intricate designed nests...

I'll be keeping an eye on the nest and the eggs and hope to get the eggs as they hatch and then some feeding shots... I love being surrounded by nature

55mm nikkor micro used.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm!! How close were you to mom? erm auntie?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my imagine train consists of a 3x TC so i was a good 20cm away Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"flapping its wings. I am guessing this was a form of temperature regulation"

Temp, and ventilation. Oxygen in, bad air out. Imagine them a while later after they make a big ball of a nest. Deep down inside, in their tunnels, they fan the air to move it through the tunnels.

I took my wasp pics with a new lens as my first experience with it. Consequently, I did not take any pics except at f1.2, because hey, it was my first f1.2 lens. The lens actually had fungus separation of the rear el, so f1.2, wide open, all the fungus, fuzzy pics.

You have all the detail there, and no fear. I had all the fear, no sharpness. They kept looking at me from the flight deck. Was he starting his engines, or just ventilating and regulating out of habit? I was sure he was looking at me and starting his engines.

I got a new real element from Zuiko, fifty years after the lens was made. At this point Zuiko service treats me 10-30% better than Zeiss service, as far as factory auth in the US. 100% done means more than 10-30% better. Now I can photograph wasps. Macro? Not without a tent.

Actually the insects slow down as the weather gets cooler. I might get close in the autumn, or on a cool morning. There is a yellow jacket nest in the ground, I might try that now in October. Or we could smoke them like beekeepers do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:
You have all the detail there, and no fear. I had all the fear, no sharpness. They kept looking at me from the flight deck. Was he starting his engines, or just ventilating and regulating out of habit? I was sure he was looking at me and starting his engines.
lol, she was definitely ventilating or temperatute regulating as she was doing this before i approached Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ving
You're braver than I

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either than or stupider... compliment or not that is the question :p

rofl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice capture Ving!
we will wait the feeding shots in the near future Very Happy