Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stopping the camera race...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Stopping the camera race... Reply with quote

When almost everybody is hurrying up to get the latest zillionmegapixel bogomips camera, I feel mine are plenty of capabilities and not feeling the need to change.
I keep the Canon 350D because the amount of adaptors for the nice Manual Focusing lenses. I got not long ago a second hand digital SLR body, a Pentax K10D that is still surpassing me.
Yesterday I went accidentally to the first basketball match of my son. This year all the team players are 18 or over, and this means age majority in Spain, (they can vote, drive cars and go to jail). So my responsibility as a supporter has (teorically) ended.
My son called me yesterday from the place they meet before leaving to outside matches, near to their training pavilion. They had not enough cars to move the team, so he requested my help "this time only". Since it was a little late to get to the match in time, I just picked the camera bag without caring which lens was in. (At the end it was the Pentax DA 16-45, not a fast lens...).
After one hour driving to an small village in the nearby of Manresa, we got really in the neck of the time, just a few minutes later and the match would not have been performed.
So I patiently sat without any hope of taking pictures. The place was dark as a wolf's mouth. After my experiences past year with the Canon 350D I didn't have much expectations, because the high ISOs.
I got really surprised when I came back home and saw the results. I didn't take too many pictures, just some samples, but the difference in noise at ISO 1600 against the Canon is huge.
Just as a sample, (not trying to show any artistic capability on the picture). It was shot at f/4.0 and ISO 1600. The lens wide open and the maximum ISO level. The stabilizer on, to try to help. The light meter was giving me measures that allowed for speeds between 1/180 and 1/350, that could be enough for the purpose.
Here you have an unretouched sample, just converted from RAW to JPG by Picassa (I know, I have to move to Lightroom Smile ).

This seems promising to me. Next match I'll be ready with a faster lens, the 135mm Tammy that is 2.5... Just in case they need a spare car "this time only"...

And I have got a camera for many years... Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I zoomed in on the blue sign at right of screen...a good indicator of noise and did not find any...nice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good for 1600. My Oly could never manage that.

Don't be embarrassed about Picassa - I find it very capable for quick web stuff and previews, although it makes a hash of my SD14 images.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right, Jes.
The main reason why I have bought my 40D was not the increase from 8 (350D) to 10 MPix. You can hardly see that. It was the concept of the cam that was created to last longer than a 350D.
This alone shows that I plan to use the 40D for a loooong time. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Pentax sensor was wonderful in low light. Too bad they're not releasing a full frame camera though, otherway the choice would be a no-brainer one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I knew Pentax sensor was wonderful in low light. Too bad they're not releasing a full frame camera though, otherway the choice would be a no-brainer one.

From what I hear, Samsung might be the ones that release it. The close partnership between Samsung and Hoya (Pentax) seem to have took the turn that they will split up the market between them.

Hoya will stick to the APS-C cameras. But they will also come out with a digital medium format. Samsung has interests in the micro fours and FF cameras.

Leading me to the conclusion that in the future it will be;

Micro 4/3 : Samsung
APS-C: Pentax
Fullformat: Samsung
Medium Format: Pentax

Hoya have stated that they will not enter the fullformat race, because there are not enough consumers for a market with Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Sony and then Hoya on top of that. Pentax also claimed that since it's impossible for the PK mount to be stabilized in the house, they would go that route. Now, the last point seem scary to me, because that means that Samsung wont stabilize the house either or modify the PK mount so that it's not compatible with earlier PK mounts. *shiver*.

On the other hand, since Pentax is dead, perhaps Hoya decides that they don't care about compability with the previous K mounts and just start a new mount.

Also, I doubt that the Digital Medium will be a new Pentax 645. It will most likely be a completly new system with the Pentax brand stinging the eyes of those that have Pentax 67 or Pentax 645 systems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear colleagues, thanks for your comments.

@CraziestOzzy,

Maybe the image has got some improvement when being reduced to fit the forum laws of picture size...

This is a 100% crop of the area you mention:

Not bad, to my taste, specially if compared to the 350D one...

@Xpress
I was doubtful about the Pentax because the light measuring behaviour, but all the other features (body stabilizer, focus confirmation, etc.) compensate the minimum adjustments needed when measuring light.

@Carsten:
I didn't think of you when writing this. I understand an occasional change, (I did myself buy a Pentax Smile ). I was thinking on local colleagues that recently passed from a 350D to a 400D, to a 40D and now to a 50D. The second hand market is becoming crazy thanks to these guys...

@Alessandro:
You're right, a FF Pentax with this sensor technology would be a killer...

@zewrak:
I didn't know about that news. Even at the risk of abandon for the K-mount, there will be K-lenses for long time, (much more than I expect to last Wink ). But if the new owners of the Pentax brand are clever, won't lose the current market share. Pentax followers are very faithfull to the brand.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

@zewrak:
I didn't know about that news. Even at the risk of abandon for the K-mount, there will be K-lenses for long time, (much more than I expect to last Wink ). But if the new owners of the Pentax brand are clever, won't lose the current market share. Pentax followers are very faithfull to the brand.

Jes.

Yes, and thats why they will stick to APS-C. Smile I don't think Hoya want's to shoot themselves in the foot. And if Samsung decides to do a fullformat with a new mount. I am sure that they will get the most of the technology from Pentax anyways. So will practically be the same as if Hoya did it.

Will be interesting to see what Hoya makes for a medium format though.