Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eneloop (Sanyo) AA NiMH batteries...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Eneloop (Sanyo) AA NiMH batteries... Reply with quote

I'm probably the last one to switch over to these, but since I have several
cams including a DSLR that take these, I decided I'd better get some better
batteries. I like the fact they hold their charge far better than the standard
NiMH fare.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they have torque. On my camera, they may start to show half battery... but if I stop shooting for a minute or two, the indicator goes back to full battery. I've occasionally managed to run a set down, but that with great effort. Laughing

The nicest thing is that they hold their charge when unused, unlike the regular rechargeables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, positively recommended. They keep their charge for a year, behave very consistent across one batch, and are slow at losing capacity.

While they are not quite up to industry grade NiCd and high-current NiMH cells as far as current is concerned, that is rarely a concern - few devices taking AA or AAA cells were ever designed to make use of special high-current cells, most stuff expects old consumer NiCd, NiMh or Alkalines, which were/are all below the Eneloop specs.

Sevo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best rechargable there are!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duracell and Rayovac make hybrid batts that are spec'd the same as
eneloops, come precharged. Walmart sell the Duracell for $12.97 for 4.
I just bought a MAHA smart charger that analyzes and conditions/charges
8 batteries at a time off ebay.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eneloop (Sanyo) AA NiMH batteries... Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I'm probably the last one to switch over to these, but since I have several
cams including a DSLR that take these, I decided I'd better get some better
batteries. I like the fact they hold their charge far better than the standard
NiMH fare.

Bill

The Sony "Cycle Energy" batt's are the same as the Eneloops. Just rebranded.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Bill

Right, Bill.
I think the key for keeping the batteries running for long time is the charger. Cheap chargers that recharge the batteries in batches (2 or 4) do not take into account the differences among them. It's not adequate to try to charge two batteries with different charge load at the same time inside the same circuit. Having a charger that charges them individually for sure will extend the life of them.
And is mandatory to have a switch-off-at-the-end-of-charge function. The cheap ones that remain charging the battery until you remove it are real battery killers...

I've been using GP batteries and GP Powerbank chargers for a long time and they have given me a very good service. But they do not store the charge for more than a couple of weeks, so maybe is time to move to Eneloop as well.

Thanks for sharing!-

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Bill

Right, Bill.
I think the key for keeping the batteries running for long time is the charger. Cheap chargers that recharge the batteries in batches (2 or 4) do not take into account the differences among them. It's not adequate to try to charge two batteries with different charge load at the same time inside the same circuit. Having a charger that charges them individually for sure will extend the life of them.
And is mandatory to have a switch-off-at-the-end-of-charge function. The cheap ones that remain charging the battery until you remove it are real battery killers...

I've been using GP batteries and GP Powerbank chargers for a long time and they have given me a very good service. But they do not store the charge for more than a couple of weeks, so maybe is time to move to Eneloop as well.

Thanks for sharing!-

Jes.

Yes. A slow-smart charger is very conducive to battery life longevity. Don't go with the "fast" chargers.

KK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Yes. A slow-smart charger is very conducive to battery life longevity. Don't go with the "fast" chargers.

KK

In my experience, intelligent pulse chargers are best, but to be intelligent, they have to be at least somewhat accelerated - ΔV detection (the only safe way of determining charge status in a NiCd or NiMH) does not work reliably if the charger is not charging at one fourth of the capacity per hour or more. Given the recent increase in cell capacities, old turbo chargers or a recent semi-fast charger would fit the bill - but old slow intelligent chargers cannot detect the status of current cells any more, as 100-200mA is below detection limits on modern cells with more than 1800mAh.

Sevo