Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera cases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Camera cases Reply with quote

I've always kept and used my cameras in the normal 2-part ER hard cases, but they don't supply them with DSLRs any more so I bought one of these soft neoprene cases and the camera normally lives inside it except when I'm actually using it.

But I just found that the on-board flash on my 400D has stopped operating - maybe I knocked it but I don't remember doing it. I'm not too bothered about it, now I can pretend it's a 5D Smile, but maybe I need to keep the camera in a tougher case.

What do you use?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really used traditional ER cases although I did make an exception for the soft ER case that came with the Sigma Zoom Master 35-70 I got years ago as it wasn't as bulky and ungainly.

I had thought of getting a couple of those Zing cases but never really got round to it.

At the moment, my 5D + AF lenses live in a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW and everything else resides in a couple of Lowepro Commercial AW bags.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm suffering from low biorhythms today. I'm trying to parse "ER"
cases, and can't figure what an Emergency Room has to do with cases...LOL

But you guys seem to know what you're talking about, so I guess it's OK! Laughing

Just checked the Zing covers, look pretty cool!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER = Ever Ready case.

They were more generally nicknamed "Never Ready" cases because by the time you got the damn thing open, you'd missed the shot.

And no, they didn't take batteries either Bill.... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just equate Ever Ready with batteries, not cases.Wink And I have heard them
called "Never Ready". Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bothered with ER cases, but I seem to have acquired a few of them now with various cams. One MedFormat folder case in particular (the Agifold) is very useful, as the Agfa Record will slip nicely into it and the Braun Paxina goes in with a bit of a fight. It's handy though, because it means I can carry any of the folders in the glove box, which is why I bought them.
In general I usually carry a smallish shoulder bag of the day with cam and two or three lenses max. I rarely use my large shoulder bag - a LowePro Nova- as it's too tempting to fill it and it becomes a bit of a nuisance lugging it around all day. It's very comfortable, even loaded up, but not really all that convenient.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nicest case I've ever seen is the beautiful black leather and chrome case for the Contaflex 126. I sent a Contaflex kit to another forum member and sent him the case as well. I hope he can show it on here, as it is really a finely crafted piece of work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a variety of Lowe Pro cases depending on what I am carrying.

Peter if a lightly used top loader is any use to you Pm me your address

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice thing, Peter!

I normally use bigger bags where I put my cams inside.
Depending on the gear I bring, I use a Kata Kalahari K-22, a LowePro Mini Trekker or a Samsonite Trekking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use case with my leica M4. I used a leica case for the camera and three lenses (the mount was stuk to the base of the case and you put the lenses as do to the camera).

It was beautifull. Not before, not after, not cases for me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
I use a variety of Lowe Pro cases depending on what I am carrying.

Peter if a lightly used top loader is any use to you Pm me your address

Wow Richard, that's a very kind offer indeed! I didn't expect that. PM is on the way.

At present I hang the camera (in its case) round my neck and keep all the other gear in an ordinary 3-pocket rucksack - one for lenses, one for "other stuff" and the small pocket for my glasses, pen and notebook, phone etc. I'll need to change my MO! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems I'm the only one who uses ER cases. Force of habit I guess, but it does protect the camera, especially when I used to take it into derelict buildings and construction sites. I use a P&S in my pocket now, or sometimes even my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: 35 mm Scanning Cheap Laboratory Reply with quote

Ken Rockwell is 90% of time a "cazzaro" (as said in roman dialect), a "sbouron" (in dialect of Bologna) or a "patacca" (in dialect of Romagna), alas a bigmouth guy. But this time something interesting could come out from him too.

Just look at the news on his site today http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm and you'll get an example of a 35mm Velvia 50 scanned by a US laboratory for a very honest price, 12 $ for roll.

The quality is pretty outstanding and I think our US friends could try it. I think I'd shot no digital for fun anymore if I had such prices here in Italy.