Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Those of you who have Rokkor 58/1.2, show your pics...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Those of you who have Rokkor 58/1.2, show your pics... Reply with quote

I find mine very sharp, even wide open....
I don't know how to make a 100% crop, I think this must be close to it...
I've tried to focus on "2".
What do you think?
Is it sharp enough for f/1.2?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sharp; indeed you should take a more distant subject to have more deep of field for the sharpness test.

On some other forum there is a thread dedicated to this wonderful lens, and people are saying sharpness at full aperture is subject to copy variation. So you may be lucky Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Yes, sharp; indeed you should take a more distant subject to have more deep of field for the sharpness test.

On some other forum there is a thread dedicated to this wonderful lens, and people are saying sharpness at full aperture is subject to copy variation. So you may be lucky Wink

And as I have pointed out on that same "other forum" on numerous occasions, the Rokkor is highly over rated, has bokeh issues and is now far too expensive....Heres a similar shot from my cheap Canon FL 55mm f1.2 @ f1.2:

And a 100% crop:

...Now thats sharp! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculators? Is this a new testing method Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DSG. Can you be more specific?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis wrote:

To be fair, I dont have a Rokkor myself (I dont see the need to get one when I have the Canon) so I am going strictly on the many pics that I've seen posted on the "other forum" that many there seem to inexplicably and IMO incorrectly gush over as examples of lovelyness, compared to similar pics taken with my Canon FL.
The Rokkor bokeh issues I speak of are not so much the quality of the Rokkors blur itself, which can be very nice indeed, but its the tendancy for the lens to show very distracting OOF highlights where there is anything remotely reflective in the background, even when a flash is'nt used! These can of course be cloned out with PS but obviously that takes time and its better to use a lens that is'nt as prone to the problem to start with...My Canon FL does'nt suffer from this problem and I can honestly say Ive never had to clone out a single distracting OOF highlight from any pics Ive taken with it so far.
Also I have seen a tendancy of the Rokkor towards the so called "swirly bokeh" effect which is extremely unattractive IMO.
You may recall my recent Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* vs Helios 40 85mm f1.5 comparison where the Helios had near identical bokeh to the ziess as long as there was'nt much fine OOF detail in the background, but where there was, the Helios also suffered from swirly bokeh at the corners showing how superior the Zeiss was....The Rokkor can suffer it right across the frame though!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:

To be fair, I dont have a Rokkor myself (I dont see the need to get one when I have the Canon) so I am going strictly on the many pics that I've seen posted on the "other forum" that many there seem to inexplicably and IMO incorrectly gush over as examples of lovelyness, compared to similar pics taken with my Canon FL.
The Rokkor bokeh issues I speak of are not so much the quality of the Rokkors blur itself, which can be very nice indeed, but its the tendancy for the lens to show very distracting OOF highlights where there is anything remotely reflective in the background, even when a flash is'nt used! These can of course be cloned out with PS but obviously that takes time and its better to use a lens that is'nt as prone to the problem to start with...My Canon FL does'nt suffer from this problem and I can honestly say Ive never had to clone out a single distracting OOF highlight from any pics Ive taken with it so far.
Also I have seen a tendancy of the Rokkor towards the so called "swirly bokeh" effect which is extremely unattractive IMO.
You may recall my recent Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* vs Helios 40 85mm f1.5 comparison where the Helios had near identical bokeh to the ziess as long as there was'nt much fine OOF detail in the background, but where there was, the Helios also suffered from swirly bokeh at the corners showing how superior the Zeiss was....The Rokkor can suffer it right across the frame though!

Can you post examples? I think that I have seen pictures of the Canon with the swirly bokeh you describe. I am not sure if it was a 58mm or a 55mm though. Somehow from the 2 pictures above I prefer the Rokkor.

P.S.
I am not sure about sharpness (too small images, different cameras and processing) but I don't like the Canon areas which are just out of focus (keys like sin, hyp, pos). They are a bit fuzzy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Rokkor examples
X500 wide open, velvia 50

On my Olympus
wide open

2.0-2.8 I am not sure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the Canon that can have bokeh problems is the 55mm 1.2 Aspherical. I think the standard 55/1.2 is fine, and the 58/1.2 is even better. I've never used any of the three, but this is what I remember from posts in various forums. Can any one confirm or deny that my memory is correct on this?

--Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PapadakosPanagiotis"]
DSG wrote:

P.S.
I am not sure about sharpness (too small images, different cameras and processing) but I don't like the Canon areas which are just out of focus (keys like sin, hyp, pos). They are a bit fuzzy.

Maybe, but they are a lot less fuzzy that the OOF keys in the Rokkor image.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcrimmins wrote:
It seems like the Canon that can have bokeh problems is the 55mm 1.2 Aspherical. I think the standard 55/1.2 is fine, and the 58/1.2 is even better. I've never used any of the three, but this is what I remember from posts in various forums. Can any one confirm or deny that my memory is correct on this?

--Geoff

Your probably right about the Aspherical...It has a rear mounted Iris and aperture dial where the FL 55mm f1.2 has a front mounted Iris and aperture dial...Front mounted Iris's aparently give better bokeh than rear mounted Iris's.
The FL 58mm f1.2 is an older model than the FL 55mm f1.2. The 58mm is single coated but the 55mm has at least two coatings...How much difference that makes to the bokeh of the 58mm, I cant say.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I think you should have both lens to make a certain verdict on the lens.
I'm not a pro, so my picture taken with Rokkor may not have nailed the focus to be used as a valid candidate for a test.

There are so many people who like this lens, including myself, and there must be something to it...
For me, its sharpness, coloring, and the awesome bokeh (I really don't find them distracting.)

I'll tell you this though...I've never bought same lens three times, until I met this lens, and trust me I'm not an invester.... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all 3 lenses, and try to find , which lens is the best.
IMO : FD 1,2/55 SSC aspherical shows me more details (wide open),
MC 1,2/58mm Rokkor sharpness same like aspherical(wide open),
FL 1,2/55 less details (wide open) , may be I have a bad copy !.

If you find, some lens has so called "bokeh problem", replace it.
Everyone can use every lens and can build his own opinion.
See at my flickr link

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sharpness test with Rokkor 58/1.2...wide open and a crop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post also a photo from your Pentax 1.2?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one from the pentax SMC-A 50/1.2, wide open at ISO 1000.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your impression compare with Rokkor ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pentax SMC-A 50/1.2 is little bit sharper than the Rokkor 58/1.2, but I still prefer the Rokkor.
Rokkor lens is a bit more contrasty, and it gets razor sharp at f/2 and on.
The Rokkor has that characteristic that i can't spell it out.
I'd just say....it's my kind of lens.... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
I think Pentax SMC-A 50/1.2 is little bit sharper than the Rokkor 58/1.2, but I still prefer the Rokkor.
Rokkor lens is a bit more contrasty, and it gets razor sharp at f/2 and on.
The Rokkor has that characteristic that i can't spell it out.
I'd just say....it's my kind of lens.... Laughing

Thank you! I kept Pentax because was the sharpest at wide open what I know.I keep fast lens to use below f2 , to use above use less so many cheap can do same. What you think ?
A Nikkor 50mm f2 is razor sharp at F2 for 20 USD Wink