Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re: Film processing . . .Need help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Film processing . . .Need help Reply with quote

As most of the regulars know, I'm a follower of Larry, in the Contaflex126 area. I've just run into a problem . . .
When I received my Contaflex126, Larry sent a cartridge of B+W film with it - old stock that he has had good luck with, now the problem . . .

My regular processor of 126 colour film can't do B+W Mad , so he sends it out to be done. Well I got a call saying my film was returned as they no longer handle 126 format Mad Sad

I guess this means I need to mail it away Confused I've checked a few sites and am in a quandry. . .
Is it worth the risk of being sent south - with the envelope heavily labeled DO NOT X RAY, or keep it in Canada?
Any advice or referrals appreciated, thanks!

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, sorry I can't help with commercial labs your side of the pond, but have you thought about processing it yourself? 126 film is exactly the same width as 135 film, only the perforations are different, so you could use a standard reel. It's fun! Smile

Basic info here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not even expensive. Just bought a tank and spiral with 12 € and the chemicals are about 10-20 €. Don't need even a decent darkroom, a dark toilet with running water is enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the developing of B+W 35mm in school - 25 years ago. I realize that it doesn't take much but . . .
A- I don't know how much B+W I'm going to do, and since I scan my negs I won't need to do the enlarger and prints schtick.
B-I don't know what my wife would say about the chemicals in the house.
C- These days I'm getting a tad bit more eco friendly - so flushing chemicals when disolved silver nitrate is toxic is questionable - at least commercial operations reclaim the crap.

So in a nutshell I don't know, if this is an option.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim! Send it to me! I'll get it done for you... Very Happy That is...if you want to take a chance with x-rays. Does Canada post x-ray all packages?

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
. . .Does Canada post x-ray all packages? . . .

Not that I know of, hence my option of keeping it in Canada. The concern was more due to a couple vintage film processing firms in the US, who caution senders to heavily mark parcels Unexposed Photographic materials, DO NOT XRAY (I guess due to security issues Confused )

[quote="Laurence"]Jim! Send it to me! I'll get it done for you.... . . ./quote]
Embarassed Sorry I didn't think of you first. I have to retrieve the cartridge from Peterborough yet, don't know when I'm there next Mad I think I'll take you up on your offer, we can sort it out via pm or email. Thanks! Very Happy

Jim