Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weird artifact when stopping down lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Weird artifact when stopping down lens. Reply with quote

Hi, here is a really rough test shoot. When the aperture is stopped down smaller I get an ever increasing bright spot in the centre of the image... Or a big vignette, whichever way you look at it. What is the cause of this? lens is stopped down in order of 2.8, 11, 22.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagne that it's some kind of stray light perhaps caused by worn apeture blades?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also having the same artifact when doing reverse macro at f:16 with both Kiron 28/2 and Minolta 50/1.4, I guess it is light related stuff cause I got it most of the times but also not in some of my shots.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffureel, you don't say what lens this is. I had a similar problem with a Jupiter 21m 4/200 which I put down to internal reflections but I couldn't work out what was causing it as someone before me had stripped the screws trying to open the lens. Using a hood improved it a lot, have you tried one?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this just a dirty sensor? The spot on the center is dust and you can see other small particles of dirt too. It becomes more visible at small apertures.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was actually a volna 80mm pentacon 6 lens. Mounted to a 5d with a tilt adaptor, no tilt. I get it too with the flektogon 50mm pentacon 6 mounted on there too I have noticed today...

Either it is two lenses with something different with them, something inside the adaptor bouncing light, or just because I have odd lenses mounted on the wrong system.... I am not sure.

It is easy to Photoshop out I guess, would like to know what causes it though. Smile

Does not happen on my standard 35mm mount lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffureel wrote:
something inside the adaptor bouncing light..

Does not happen on my standard 35mm mount lens.

I think you're right about the adapter. Is it completely matt black inside?