Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Finished" Image - B&W Transparency
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: "Finished" Image - B&W Transparency Reply with quote

Here's a little more finished image, compared to the "raw" scans in the Oversize Gallery.
This is from the black and white transparency, processed by dr5.

Scanned in Silverfast with Ilford B&W emulation.
In Photoshop - Cropped slightly, Very Light Unsharp Mask @20:1:0.

There are still some anomalies and artifacts from the web sizing,
but this is getting closer to what I want.

I am pleased with the tonalities of Ilford's Delta 100.
I was a bit worried about the low ASA causing some flatness
to the contrast, but after scanning, I think the contrast is extremely
close to what I saw. Of special merit to me, is the
delineation between tones in the foreground trees against
the forested hillsides. There is not a lot of difference in tones
there, but the low ASA produced minimum grain, which pulled
the subtle differences out. Accordingly, this caused better
depth overall. The transparency is cutting-edge sharp. Smile

There were various views of this pocket glacier along the trail I was traveling.
I actually turned around a came back almost two miles to get
back to this perspective. Shocked I liked the way the glacier was only
showing a crescentric bit of its lower lobes, and thus it did not dominate
the image, but actually acted as a balance to the image (in my mind).
The glacier still showed a certain power though, as if the ice was a
plasticine presence, carving and crawling in its inexorable quest to flow.

Interface: Ice, Rock, and Trees -- Mount Anderson
Mamiya Sekor RB67 Pro-S
Sekor 180mm prime lens
Ilford Delta 100 @ASA40
f:16, 1/125th

Last edited by Laurence on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:31 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It leaves me speechless. Ansel Adams at his best...

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

Ilfors Delta 100 is a very nice B&W film, if you want even less grain you could try Fuji Neopan 100 Acros (it's harder to scan though) and I never tried to develop it under its nominal ASA.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beautiful landscape and I beautiful photo.

I think I would probably prefer the color version. I seem to like B&W for some portraits and architectural shots, but love color for landscapes.

That said, a great photo is a great photo and this is a GREAT photo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
It leaves me speechless. Ansel Adams at his best...
patrickh

Geeze patrick! Shocked Uhhh...not Ansel by a long shot...but I'll take a compliment for sure! I am happy with the b&w transparencies, which seem to scan very well. Thanks as always, patrick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Fantastic!

Ilfors Delta 100 is a very nice B&W film, if you want even less grain you could try Fuji Neopan 100 Acros (it's harder to scan though) and I never tried to develop it under its nominal ASA.

Hello Alessandro: First of all, thank you.

There is a "problem" with Neopan under the dr5 process, in that their labs can only process it in Developer #2, which gives a sepia tone only. Of course, if one is looking for sepia, that is a good thing.

Regarding the nominal ASA, almost all of the black and white emulsions have a lowered ASA recommendation with the dr5 process.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
This is a beautiful landscape and I beautiful photo.

I think I would probably prefer the color version. I seem to like B&W for some portraits and architectural shots, but love color for landscapes.

That said, a great photo is a great photo and this is a GREAT photo.

Thank you Mike! I didn't get the color version of this particular shot, as I left my pack almost two miles up the trail, and came back with just the RB67 and tripod, loaded with the Ilford film. I sort of wished I had brought the film insert with Provia with me, but I'm still glad I did hike back to this spot.

I too, love color for landscapes, and generally prefer it. But I'm finding exciting possibilities with black and white for landscapes. It seems "harder" to me somehow, and that is probably because it's tough for me to visualize something in black and white. This particular image was "easier' to envision though, simply because it held obvious contrasts from hot white to very dark.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive photo of an impressive landscape.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive landscape! is this glacier that dark or did you enhance contrast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
Impressive photo of an impressive landscape.

Thank you Sven!

Would you believe that when I was in my late 20s (a LONG time ago), I joined two others in a climb of the buttress in the left foreground (goes up behind the trees)? Shocked I won't be DOING that kind of stuff any more. I remember it was pushing the limit of our ability, and we took great pains to protect our moves with piton belays and chocks for security.

There are larger glaciers on the north side, we are looking at the south face of the massif.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
impressive landscape! is this glacier that dark or did you enhance contrast

Hello poilu! The glacier is spot-on to what was seen with my eyes. There are some ablationary surfaces there, where the firn snow has melted back to uncover the extremely hard ice below. It holds a darker tone because the ice is mixed with rock that was plucked from the headwalls at the upper cirque of the glacier.

This small glacier actually spilled over the cliffs below earlier in my life. I wish I had a good shot of it from then (early 1960s). The recession of the glaciers is a sort of "sad" thing, although I do know it's simply what the Earth does naturally.

I didn't adjust contrast on this one, poilu. I did sharpen ever so slightly, and also cropped out some sticks from the right side and from the lower edge.