Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP MF 17/3.5 vs Tamron SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP MF 17/3.5 vs Tamron SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD ? Reply with quote

I couldn't decide because I can't tell the difference between two Smile
Tamron SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD is new with 260-300USD
Tamron SP17/3.5 is 230-250USD.
I was just giving 251USD as max. bid for one 17/3.5 then thought that this wasn't a low price and made some more research and found this AF lens. OK, hands down this one is plastic but faster and I'm concerned about the picture quality, if AF one gives more than I can easily choose the AF one. And for concert like environment zoom is allways means more flexibility. Anyways I'm confused so need some help in decision making process Smile

Btw 28mm is even very wide on 5D! As I haven't used my kit lens on 400D I didn't see how 18mm on crop can be wide Smile Using 17mm on FF body will be a hard task Smile

AF one, it looks promising and my vote is likely going to this one Smile:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17_35_review.html
http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/0804sb_tamron/index.html
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Tamron-17-35mm-f28-4-SP-AF-Di
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/tamron/17-35_f28-4/17-35_3.html
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=191&sort=7&cat=43&page=1
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/48/sort/2/cat/23/page/1
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/spec_sheets/17-35mmDi.pdf

Last edited by yalcinaydin on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not suggest to take any of them, buy a Zenitar 16mm or if you have a bit more money a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm or NIkkor 20mm or Olympus 21mm any of them better choice than Tamron. I have all suggested lenses include Tamron SP 17 all of them perform better on digital body than Tamron.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the Tamron SP 3.5/17 is said to be the best of the "affordable" superwides... Wink
Several tests in old magazines state that this is an excellent lens, on the same level like Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal experience it is not reach Nikkor level.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from shutterbug:
"Particularly in the 17-30mm range of focal lengths, and especially at f/8, image quality is superlative with edge sharpness matching central sharpness. Flare was very well controlled, a real benefit on sunny days in the Valley of Fire State Park, even in extreme sidelighting. In all of my images, brightness is consistent across the entire frame, at all focal lengths, by one stop down from the maximum aperture. My best digital images made for exhibition quality 11x17” ink jet prints and my Velvia 100F slides are also technically exceptional."

By the way let me add a few thing:
1) In concerts center is important, corners can be easily ommitted and I hata shooting whole group images in an environment I'm already crawling for more light! Speed is more imposrtant than the corner sharpness.
2) shooting landscapes? Who chooses f:2.8 for landscapes? There won't be much need for this kind of shooting and I'll have my tripod with me and will stop to f:8-16 and will use long exposure.

Last edited by yalcinaydin on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have an $$$ camera and you planning to use with affordable lenses ?! Come on! Wait a bit and buy a good company for this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You will have an $$$ camera and you planning to use with affordable lenses ?! Come on! Wait a bit and buy a good company for this camera.

Ok Attilla, you got me there Razz
If I buy this I'll use Nowebers budget and my American friend will take it with him to here so I've the opportunity to sell it here if I have a better optics Smile Maybe I musn't buy anything and wait a bit more, more confusions Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already 28mm Zuiko it will show a whole new world on full frame, price difference is not too tight between Tamron and Nikkor or Olympus 21mm f3.5 till you have enough money make a compromise and use 28mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You have already 28mm Zuiko it will show a whole new world on full frame, price difference is not too tight between Tamron and Nikkor or Olympus 21mm f3.5 till you have enough money make a compromise and use 28mm.

My 28mm Tamy and Zuiko will be here tomorrow, let me test them first and then decide to spend or not to spend more for getting extra wide.
There was a Zuiko 21/3.5 ended with 290USD this week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

290 USD gift price ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
290 USD gift price ...

yep I especially watched it after hearing from you how excellent it is to see the final price but I don't have that much this month so just watched Smile
And here it's:
Click here to see on Ebay
I'm a good watcher (have a nice price watch list), now looking for the market prices of Leicas Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best wide angle lens what I have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yalcinaydin - I have some sympathy with you. I've just returned from a short trip. I only took 4 lenses with me - Tokina 3.5/17, MIR 2/35 a 50 and a 135. I spent most of my time switiching between the two wides - if you can call a 35 mm lens wide on a crop camera. A 17-35 zoom would have been nice but I'm not sure that there is an affordable (for me) zoom which can match the quality AND the feel of my two primes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend more than $100 for the Tammie.
If you take it for that amount it is OK. Not bad at f8 but usable.
The prices you quoted are way too much for this lens.
I'm completely with Attila expensive camera deserves "QUALITY" glass.
The Zuiko 3.5/21 is a perfect match for the 5D.
Super for landscapes and Architecture or street.
It is like taking the best from the 2 fleks (f2.8 and f4) and putting it into a tiny package.
The best 21mm under $500 without question.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Yalcinaydin - I have some sympathy with you. I've just returned from a short trip. I only took 4 lenses with me - Tokina 3.5/17, MIR 2/35 a 50 and a 135. I spent most of my time switiching between the two wides - if you can call a 35 mm lens wide on a crop camera. A 17-35 zoom would have been nice but I'm not sure that there is an affordable (for me) zoom which can match the quality AND the feel of my two primes.

John,
my wide Zuiko and Tammy are coming from very from your country, Dundee/Scotland, and changing the lenses continuously can become a real pain, especially during the concerts on small venues. Carrying 2 lenses is ok but more than that is a little less practical so I've sympathy with fast zooms and especially want a Tamron SP 2 80-200/2.8 LD and a wide zoom but Atilla confuses my mind Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Don't spend more than $100 for the Tammie.
If you take it for that amount it is OK. Not bad at f8 but usable.
The prices you quoted are way too much for this lens.
I'm completely with Attila expensive camera deserves "QUALITY" glass.
The Zuiko 3.5/21 is a perfect match for the 5D.
Super for landscapes and Architecture or street.
It is like taking the best from the 2 fleks (f2.8 and f4) and putting it into a tiny package.
The best 21mm under $500 without question.

Ok guys you're likely convinced me to wait, make enough money and look for another Zuiko 21/3.5 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your position entirely. I was out on a country walk and I had plently of time to change lenses. Even so it was frustrating. AND of course there's the dust. I don't usually have much of a problem but after looking at some of my pictures I will be busy with the clone stamp.