Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Domiplan Revisited
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Domiplan Revisited Reply with quote

In another thread we discussed the qualities of the Meyer Domiplan and the general opinion was not overwhelmingly positive.

For the fun of it I combined the Domiplan with another cheap item, namely my Soligor 2x TC just to see how bad it would get.
To my surprise I think it actually improved the performance. Bokeh got much better and I even think the shots came out a bit sharper (still quite soft though).
Judge for yourselves.

The rather strange looking combination

Domiplan + TC

Domiplan by itself

Reference shot with the SMC 2/50

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, stick to the SMC Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, maybe it was a bit unfair to bring that shot into the comparison. Striking isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of "shorted" telephoto lenses (135mm) are of a similar formula relevant ... A triplet with a negative rear double element ... If you can experiment this, do it : you take off the rear element of a "shortened" 135 mm , then put the lens on an extension tube and what you get ? Almost the same 135 mm with a normal mount length ...
So the tc is like the "rear" element ... However , it is not exactly the same formula.
So triplet + tc is a theoric "not so bad" formula.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,
Thanks for the explanation about the optics. Thought that there could be some phenomena like that when I posted the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is extremely interesting! Now the Soligor TC is just a 3 or 4 element design that serves, like you say Helios, almost like a "rear" element. Would a better quality TC such as a 7 or 8 element design serve the same function or would it almost negate the odd "phenomena" and retain the domiplan's original qualities? Obviously it is just theoretical...but this is truly one of the most fascinating ideas I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm ...It is not really true . The tc "negative" formula is more "powerful" than the similar (not identical, the optical register is not the same !) rear group of a "short" 135 mm .The 2 elements rear group of "shorterized" telephoto lenses are calculated for the triplet which is the basic formula of these lenses.
"normal" TC's are not dedicated to a particular lens formula , but they often give better results with a simple lens formula (achromatic doublet or triplets)
A six or seven elements modified gauss (1,4/50mm) with a seven elements TC can give a 14 elements 2,8/100mm horror ...