Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

native Zeiss lenses for EOS cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: native Zeiss lenses for EOS cameras Reply with quote

sounds interesting

http://proimaging.blogspot.com/2008/08/propix-news-carl-zeiss-for-canon-eos.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this be?
I thought there was a licensing battle between these players Confused Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this on other forum, and many people who read think that it's a false rumour.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... aren't we already using these lenses on Canon bodies... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read elsewhere, the patent on the EF lens mount is supposed to be about to expire. Since Canon, unlike Nikon, refused to license their lens mount to Zeiss for one, this alleged expiration may be the basis for the conjecture about there being Zeiss Oberkochen lenses with an EF mount in the pipeline.

In the end though, does it really matter since we can already mount Zeiss on Canon as Ballu says....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that this would still be a roumor grade news and I wont hold my breath until I see an official anouncement.

But the benefits are a few compared to using an adapter such as correct distance positioning, possibly registering the aperture, snug fit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotal wrote:
But the benefits are a few compared to using an adapter

to be able to focus wide open and let the camera stop down is a nice benefit in low light

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Fotal wrote:
But the benefits are a few compared to using an adapter

to be able to focus wide open and let the camera stop down is a nice benefit in low light

I dont think there will be any communication between Camera and lens. Is there any in Nikon mount Z* lenses??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ZK lenses definitely have full "A" functionality on Pentax (e.g. stop down works, open-aperture metering works). But then Pentax has mechanical stopdown.

If the ZE (?) lenses can transfer their EXIF information and focusing distance to the camera, then stopping down is trivial, since Canon lenses have an electromagnetic diaphragm and stopdown is done via electrical command.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
the ZK lenses definitely have full "A" functionality on Pentax (e.g. stop down works, open-aperture metering works). But then Pentax has mechanical stopdown.

If the ZE (?) lenses can transfer their EXIF information and focusing distance to the camera, then stopping down is trivial, since Canon lenses have an electromagnetic diaphragm and stopdown is done via electrical command.

The ZF lenses are fully mechanical, AIS lenses with no electronic coupling to the camera. Unlike the Voigtländer lenses made in the same factory ... on Nikon bodoes that have mechanical coupling (D200 and up) the aperture info is indeed conveyed to the camera (the focal length and max aperture must, alas, be input by the user).

I would guess therefore that fully manual, mechanical operation is somehow seen to be part of the Zeiss 'thing' and that any future EOS lenses would similarly not have electronic coupling. But my understanding is that, since Canon moved from FD to EF mount and jetisoned MF lenses, there is no equivalent mechanical coupling for Canon cameras. So perhaps they would have to use an electronic coupling, just to be able to work efficiently (and indeed just to get focus confirm!).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Chris,

I guess that's one area where Pentax is advantageous. On the "A" lenses the maximum aperture is communicated to the body by a set of (passive) pins: basically if there's metal, that means something, if there's no metal (plastic plug) that also means something. Other than that, there's no other electrical coupling.

So on "A" lenses you have to dial in the focal length (needed for the image stabilizer) but nothing else: all functionality except AF works (the TAv mode is pretty sweet).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems real enough

http://www.zeiss.com/cln

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also revive the Distagon T* 2.8/21 Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, "the legend was dead - long live the legend"
http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/DDF7CD30A02E840BC12574C5004278BF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a Planar T* 1,4/85 in ZK mount, but alas I already have two 85's does one need another, a Zeiss?

would look good on a Pentax body though, especially my MX.