Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 to Nikon adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: M42 to Nikon adapter Reply with quote

Hi,

I´m interested in buying M42 lenses for my Nikon D200, but I´m not sure about the quality of adapters (with an auxiliary lens to enable infinity focus). Has anybody made some comparisons about these? Or shot the same lens with a) a Nikon body with an adapter b) some other body not needing an adapter with glass?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 to Nikon adapter Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Hi,

I´m interested in buying M42 lenses for my Nikon D200, but I´m not sure about the quality of adapters (with an auxiliary lens to enable infinity focus). Has anybody made some comparisons about these? Or shot the same lens with a) a Nikon body with an adapter b) some other body not needing an adapter with glass?

I've only used the non-infinity glassless converter. Longer lenses give a reasonable field of focus this way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used on of the "glassy" adapters - do NOT bother. The quality is dreadful

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some useful results

http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-37a-first-outing-t9430.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments.

I have read a favourable comment of Kood brand glass adapters from a Finnish user, so maybe it´s the one to buy.

Maybe I´ll start with a glassless one. One more question, if the lenses won´t focus to infinity, will they focus closer than normal? Like having a small extension ring?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
One more question, if the lenses won´t focus to infinity, will they focus closer than normal? Like having a small extension ring?

Yes, exactly. 135mm lens come like a 85mm portrait lens.

Nikon D50+M42 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm glass free adapter.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/135mc/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further point. The "glass" adapter acts like a weak teleconverter. One supplier suggests a factor of ~1.2 for the Kood converter. I did a rough calibration, using my 55-200 Nikon zoom as reference, and found a value of ~1.1 for a 135mm lens - which effectively became a "150".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a colleague the same question about a month ago. He told me the Kood glass adapter "is a piece of crap, don't bother". I thought they can't be worse than teleconverters so I ordered the Bower (B&H Photo sells it) and 2 weeks ago showed him some initial results. The next day he sent me a message that he had ordered a Bower adapter for himself. Yes, we're both Finns but he isn't the Kood seller Mark is referring to Very Happy

This isn't a scientific comparison, rather just lots of samples in original size. My intent is to map the performance of these lenses and put them into field use later, so bare with the boring test compositions until later. These are all taken with a Nikon D3 using either a Bower infinity focus adapter or a no-brand mechanical adapter. They're almost exclusively shot wide open or stopped down by 1 f-stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/72157607140210153/

Vilhelm

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox

Thanks so much for sharing. I for one will wait to see what you come up with, but so far looks good. If those Bowers are any good I may well get one

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Vilhelm for your magnificent pictures. Now I´m sure that there are good quality glass adapters in the market!

You also has an impressive set of glassware there, no sense to try save a few euros buying an adapter. On the other hand, I´m planning to buy those 10 Euro lenses and see if I can find any positive surprises there... so maybe I´ll start with a glassless one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome, happy to see I'm not the only one interested in using M42 lenses on Nikon (D)SLR. I would greatly appreciate any info you can share on how these five lenses perform at various apertures.

The Bower adapter (with glass) fits all lenses perfectly, but the no brand adapter (without glass) only fits the newer lenses ie Pentacon 135/2.8 MC, Flektogon 35/2.4 MC and Sonnar 135/3.5 (preset?). The Tessar 50/2.8 T and Biotar 58/2 T both protrude about 3mm above the thread and they only accept the Bower glass adapter.

I've just uploaded more in original size; two Flektogon 35/2.4 shots (monochrome RAW to JPEG) and three Pentacon 135/2.8 shots, if weather permits I will shoot and upload more this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is as bad as it can get... Bower M42 adapter (with optical glass, lens set to infinity, D3 body on aperture priority matrix metering).

(Original size, click ALL SIZES for original resolution)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/2853461109/

[/img]