Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Duds?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Duds? Reply with quote

I bought two lenses for what I thought were bargain prices, but now I'm leaning more towards that it was "you get what you pay for" prices.

The first one is a Takumar Bayonet 2.8/135 at 40$ and the second one is a Meyer Domiplan 2.8/50 for 4 $ (less than a hamburger).

The Takumar looks solid and works perfectly from a mechanical point of view, but I'm not happy it's sharpness and color saturation. It can also produce CA in some situations.
I had less expectations on the Meyer and it's probably still worth more than a hamburger, but it's rather soft and I will probably not use it much. It had a stuck F-stop mechanism, but I managed to take the blades out and de-grease them, so that part works now.
Anyway, are these lenses known to be less than average performers or did I just get bad samples?

Some samples
Takumar

Meyer (This was before blade cleaning so the lens is wide open)

Picture resized - click on the image for the full size. Please observe the max width of 900px or post large images in the Oversized Gallery. Thankyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The domiplan I have is crap others feel the same
That Bayonet Takumar was a low price line from Pentax also known to be crap

Thats a lot of crap you should hold your nose on the way to the bin
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplan can be pretty good one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I have tried to sell my Domiplan for 10skr and failed. And to be honest, it's not worth it.

Stick to Super Takumars :p. The bayonet ones are black sheeps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to get carried away.
And you seem to be proud owners of Domiplans as well Smile

I will try them out bit more, but generally most pictures are worth a better faith than being shot with an inferior lens.
At least I didn't spend a fortune.

Thanks for your replies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always think of those lenses as sort of having a built-in soft-focus filter...Sort of a "glass is 1/2 full" sort of thing. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
You can always think of those lenses as sort of having a built-in soft-focus filter...Sort of a "glass is 1/2 full" sort of thing. Smile

Some say the glass is half-full,
Some say the glass is half-empty,

I say, the glass is too big for its purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/domiplan_50mm/meyer-optik_gorlitz_domiplan_50mm_f2_8-11.jpg.html

This is my experience , I think not worst than any other common 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there could be a variation between samples of the Domiplan.
When I took it apart I noticed that the positioning of rear lens didn't look very reliable, only 3 tiny screws fitting into a v-grove both for centering the lens and for positioning it longitudinally. Maybe of no significance but it could also indicate a build standard which could be less repeatable.

Like the soft focus idea!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer made their best lenses before war, I have a few pre-war copy with excellent quality. They made good lenses with stable quality before "Pentacon" years. Yes, Domiplan quality can be very vary, it was a cheap budget lens for that price every copy was ok in any quality. If somebody would take better lens many excellent one was available.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Domiplan is simply awful. It was the cheapest option kit lens for my Praktica in 1967, below Tessar and Pancolar. I never took one good picture with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably a 135/2.5 Takumar Bayonet, which was made from 1980 - 1988. It's a simple 4-element lens. I got mine for $30 (plus shipping).

I did some tests on this Takumar Bayonet. Basically any Takumar Bayonet is a consumer lens. But it's still mechanically very good, to be honest I can tell no difference between this one and an SMC-Pentax M mechanically.

Here's my test: http://orlygoingthirty.blogspot.com/2008/08/pentax-135mm-lens-comparison.html

compared to the SMC-Pentax M 135/3.5.

Seems that at f/4 the Tak-Bayonet is sharper than the SMC-Pentax M.

Or is my focusing off? I put a split-image screen in my K10D but I am not entirely sure if I'm focusing critically enough (the K10D's AF module is also known to be not that accurate so I can't rely on AF confirm).

I also compared the Takumar-A 70-200/4 to the SMC-M 135/3.5 at 135mm and the Tak-A seemed just as sharp.. so either (1) my MF skills really suck; (2) my split-image screen is incorrectly placed (it's a cheap Chinese one and I used tape to adjust it); (3) I have a horrible 135/3.5; or (4) I have a really excellent 70-200/4 which seems unlikely..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the auction and it was in fact a 135mm 2.8 takumar (bayonet).
Never saw one of those before.
The 135mm 2,5 takumar (bayonet) you talk about have a bad reputation but I must say that my copy is excellent. Seems to be in line with your observations. Maybe some CA to mess things up in bad situations. I don't have the 135mm 2,5 k-mount to compare to though.
I will post a few pictures taken with my 135 2,5 (bayonet) if anyone is interested.

/Jan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a Super-Takumar 135/2.5 (screw mount) which goes for a heck of a lot more money than the T akumar Bayonet Confused

it's also supposed to be much better than the Tak Bayonet, , but to be honest at f/4 i can't say my copy is bad (compared to the 135/3.5 which supposedly has a great reputation "sharper than the Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 some people claim).

here's another test I did:
http://orlygoingthirty.blogspot.com/2008/07/more-lens-testing.html

of course this is only center performance, wide-open at 200mm and f/4 on both lenses.

this photo #1 was taken with the Canon 70-200/4 L IS on EOS 400D.

this photo #2 with the Takumar-A 70-200/4 on Pentax K10D.

The photo from the "L" looks better to me.. by how much I don't know. What do you guys think? of course the "L" costs $1000 and the Tak-A 70-200/4 cost something like $40 (I forget the exact value).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormhandler wrote:
I saw the auction and it was in fact a 135mm 2.8 takumar (bayonet).
Never saw one of those before.
The 135mm 2,5 takumar (bayonet) you talk about have a bad reputation but I must say that my copy is excellent. Seems to be in line with your observations. Maybe some CA to mess things up in bad situations. I don't have the 135mm 2,5 k-mount to compare to though.
I will post a few pictures taken with my 135 2,5 (bayonet) if anyone is interested.

/Jan

It is indeed a 2.8 and I think I have seen two auctions with it (could be the same lens).
I haven't given up on it yet. Stopped down a bit the sharpness is acceptable. My main concern is CA in high contrast motives and that the colours often come out a bit dull.
Made a "non scientific test" half an hour ago comparing it to my Nikkor zoom at 135. Not much light now and I shot hand held so motion blur may play it's part. F-stop is 5.6 on both and ISO is 200.
Not much difference except for the colours which could be the two cameras handling the white balance differently.

Takumar

Nikkor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

here's another 135/2.8 Takumar Bayonet.