Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Biotar 58/2 T (M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: CZJ Biotar 58/2 T (M42) Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy CZJ Biotar 58/2 T for M42. Does anybody know current price of this lens? And price of Biotar 70/1.5? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 100 and 400-500 USD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find old Biotar 2.8/5cm - this is not red T but this is also outstanding performer. I paid for mine $60 in mint condition

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one on ebay - $156 + $23 for shipping and still more than 60 minutes to the end Shocked

I can buy T for about $25, but it needs some servicing. Focusing is a bit stiff and two screws are missing on (I don't know, how is the part called in english) back-stop ring(?). I could obtain one more Biotar (without T) for $35 and use the crews from it, but I'm not sure, if both version use the same screws (hope so).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay # 290252458849. $65 including shipping

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived Very Happy

wide-opened:

f/8 (1:1, RAW, sharpness = 0)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats no-X! beautiful lens!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Are they all "preset" aperture lenses?

Thanks...(I have Exakta mount one.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No , they have different variants.

I have
Exakta with external bumber
M42 pre-set
M42 auto lens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila, can you tell which aperture this biotar 58/2 has?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380056131427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

I like Biotar 58/2, but preset is a bit too much for modern usage. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an auto lens, push pin do work with blades.Lot more worst than pre-set on DSLR. Best one to use on DSLR Exakta with external bulb.
I found Biotar really same than Helios-44 , Helios 44 has A/M switch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
preset is a bit too much for modern usage. Very Happy

I much prefer preset lenses when I'm using a DSLR with an adapter. Auto lenses are only useful on cameras that have the bar to press the pin and close the blades, such as Spotmatics or Prakticas. On a DSLR with the aperture pin pressed in permanently the lens is in Manual mode - you have to focus wide open and then set the aperture dial afterwards. A preset is not a lot better, but it does allow you to set the aperture before you focus and then turn the stop down ring without needing to look at the dial.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, the only Biotar 2/58 in M42 that will work on the EOS 5D is the semi-auto version as fitted to some of the Pentacon FM cameras but the M42-EOS adapter really needs to have the rear ring to press the stop-down pin in for reliable operation.

The preset is a no-no as it has a rear "nose" that fouls the 5D's mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK. My saying "preset" is to change aperture I have to push aperture ring before rotating for EXAKTA 58/2 I own. Some "preset" lens such as Takumar Macro 50/4 works fine, and also if you take out the stopper pin from OM->EF adapter you can set an aperture first and just before shooting you press shutter button you press also aperture button on the lens, this works well too. Life becomes too complicated these days. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Biotar 58/2 T arrived on Friday, together with a Tessar 50/2.8 T, Sonnar 135/3.5 and Flektogon 35/2.4 MC

Today I had an hour of time to test mainly the Biotar in a park nearby, and I was really impressed by how well it behaves on the D3. Still waiting for the non-glass adapter, the slight loss of detail with the Bower M42 to Nikon mount adapter I found looks acceptable.

The rest of the test shots in original size here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the last one! You got a great batch of lenses, congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Attila, yes I'm thrilled Razz

I actually owe the batch to you, as I wouldn't have dared to buy 4 lenses from the same seller unless he came strongly recommended, and you gave the eBay seller of these fine instruments a very high score in another discussion here on the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which seller ? Exaklaus or grizzly ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stil22

Exact descriptions, excellent condition of lenses, fast replies, promptly shipped, well packaged... He even messaged me in my mother tongue (Swedish), which is outstanding since he's Greek.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! He is one of the greatest seller on Ebay, I don't how can able to get those beauties.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
He even messaged me in my mother tongue (Swedish), which is outstanding since he's Greek

Lot of Swedish woman stay here after trying local flavors Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yes, he evidently has a very developed taste, be it women or cameras. Just bought a Pentacon 135/2.8 from him, these should keep me busy and away from eBay for a while Very Happy