Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 200mm F2.8 M42 - s/n 0009 question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Sonnar 200mm F2.8 M42 - s/n 0009 question Reply with quote

Dear experts at the MFlenses.com forum, I need your help. I have read through most of the posts on this forum regarding Carl Zeiss Jena lens serial numbers, including the thread "Carl Zeiss Jena lenses Issue date by serial number," and I am coming to you with an unusual puzzle.

I own a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm F2.8 lens with an M42 mount, and it has a very uncommon serial number. The serial number of this lens is "0009." I’ve read that four-digit serial numbers are from lenses made after 1980, but what exactly does 0009 signify? Could this be a test batch of lenses?

I would greatly appreciate any help identifying which batch this lens comes from or what the serial number 0009 specifically means.

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
miazgator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome miazgator!

Another new member has a new online tool for lens serial number lookup. Input 0009 gives "The serial number is below the minimum range for Carl Zeiss Jena (1890-1942)". Not much help here. Maybe later... https://forum.mflenses.com/wip-vintage-lens-serial-number-lookup-tool-t85365.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a pototype lens this is. Is there any other marking on it like "V" etc.??
Add some pictures please!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure:

Carl Zeiss Jena 200/2.8 Sonnar MC electric M42

Anyone help?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome miazgator!

Another new member has a new online tool for lens serial number lookup. Input 0009 gives "The serial number is below the minimum range for Carl Zeiss Jena (1890-1942)". Not much help here. Maybe later... https://forum.mflenses.com/wip-vintage-lens-serial-number-lookup-tool-t85365.html

Nice tool didn know that, TY!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can help here?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show a picture with that serial# number please!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact the guys behind zeissikonveb.de.

Lots of knowledge there!

S

EDIT:

1) the CZJ lenses from the late 1980s have a different SN scheme than the earlier continuous SNs at CZJ
2) during the transition from CZJ to Docter some lenses with four digit SN starting with zero were made

https://zeissikonveb.de/start/objektive/wechselobjektive-1980er/carl_zeiss_jena/

It seems your 2.8/180 Sonnar is from that transition period.

S