Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak 3A Specials
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Kodak 3A Specials Reply with quote

I am rather fascinated with these creatures.
The 3A was an enormous folding "pocket" camera, made for the postcard-format, 3 1/4"" x 5 1/2" (9x14cm). This format was one of if not the most popular amateur film format in the first two decades of the last century.

"3A" was the Kodak general size code for cameras that shot postcard-size, on either plates or 122 roll film. "3A" was used as a designation for whole ranges of amateur cameras, most of which were very basic machines equipped with simple meniscus or Rapid Rectilinear lenses in Kodak Automatic or Ball-bearing shutters. The huge film format aside, they were just the usual sort of mass-market Kodaks.

And then there were the "Specials". Kodak made "Specials" across several of its ranges, equipped with the top lenses and shutters of the day, and advanced features as well as top-quality fit and finish. They shared the same chassis as the regular cameras, but otherwise they were entirely another order of beast.

This is the first of my 3A Specials - When I got it its bellows were hopeless, and it otherwise needed a good cleaning. I took a set of bellows from an "ordinary" 3A that had a wrecked standard, and a bit of tinkering and its all working. This one is typical of the specials pre-1917. Since this type was made from 1910, its quite possible this thing is 100 years old. It has rack&pinion focus, rise/fall and shift movements, and a bubble level (still full !). Why movements on a folder ? See below.

The lens is a Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat f/6.3, about 170mm, normal for the format. It is of course a Tessar. This is definitely a pre-1917 camera as German patents lapsed in 1917, and Kodak was no longer obligated to credit Zeiss after - and I suspect that this lens was actually made by Zeiss. The shutter is a Deckel Compound, either made under license by Bausch&Lomb, or more likely just rebranded by them. Both indicate a long-standing situation in the lens and shutter business - Deckel actually based the design of its shutter on an American patent by Ilex, but Deckel could produce its shutters more cheaply than any American maker. Hence Kodak was buying German lenses and shutters where it could not obtain a cheap American alternative. The Compound was an air-regulated shutter that controlled its slow speeds with a piston. The much more common later Compur shutter is extremely similar, the main difference is that clockwork is used instead of a piston. Early Compound and Compur shutters are very easy to fix, btw., and they seem to last forever.

There were many lens and shutter variants. Some used US-made Optimo shutters, Bausch&Lomb Tessars, Cooke and Ross lenses are sometimes also seen. Later 1920's models had an f/7.7 Kodak Tessar and the Kodamatic shutter.

The "Specials" also were better finished than the usual Kodaks - these could be had with options like Morocco leather, like on this one, or sealskin.

There were generally two focusing scales - the top one flipped up to reveal a separate scale for plates, as there was an optional back that had a groundglass and took plate holders. It could still use roll film, but obviously no plates could be used with roll film in the camera ! Because of the groundglass option it was reasonable to provide movements on the front standard.

The back removed - a huge film gate. I am planning to make a reversible setup to use 120 film, a 6x14 format. Note that there was no pressure plate. I wonder just how flat that film was, and whether the fine lenses were all that effective on roll film.

Another "Special" - this one has the same Zeiss-Kodak f/6.3 lens, but in a Wollensak Optimo shutter - and there are other differences. This one also has very bad bellows, which I will have to replace. The Optimo was also an air-regulated shutter, but it could go to 1/300 where the Deckel was limited (in this size) to 1/200. Its also a very reliable long-lasting shutter. I also think this camera is pre-1917, but perhaps a little later than my first one.

This is one of the first cameras -maybe the first mass-produced type - to be equipped with a coupled rangefinder ! Unfortunately on this one the rangefinder is damaged. I have ordered some half-silvered mirror material to attempt a repair.

Instead of the simple rack&pinion of the other 3A, this one has nice smooth focusing rails on the bed. Necessary to maintain accuracy with that rangefinder I suppose.

This one came with the famous Autographic back - the Autographic feature was very common on all sorts of Kodaks though, not just the specials.

The Autographic cover plate flipped open - one could write notes on the special Autographic film with the stylus.

I have another special coming in with the groundglass back. I suppose I will have to find bellows for that one also.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifull old stuff! I am curious if you can get it at work with 120 film!
Getting the film flat will be a challenge, to get maximum results of the lenses, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groundglass back came in, with a two-sided plate holder, and perfectly good "ordinary" 3A (Rapid Rectilinear lens) with its own spare regular back. At this point I have four of these things, one being just for cannibalizing parts, and a spare Zeiss lens in Compound shutter.

The back -

The groundglass was not provided with a hood or cover. The idea I suppose was to keep the whole thing as slim as possible.

The plate holder - I only have one unfortunately, and I gather these things are as rare as hens teeth, this being an odd size. People kept 4x5 and 3 1/4x4 1/4 plate holders as they fit other things, but not this.

It came with two glass plates in it, which may be helpful if I want to load photo paper in there. One, oddly, is a developed plate. The photo seems to be of a sprinkler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely reported Luis,these kodaks are one of the most common folders on Australian ebay...not the specials.... although they may be as I have never looked further than the Kodak Autographic designation in the ebay title.
The bellows seem to age badly with these kodaks..and that stylus/scribe looks to be very fancy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice older camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the amount of variation in these cameras never ceases to amaze me, it seems like just about every bit that could be tried, was. Gives me a feeling of looking at dinosaur evolution, foreshortened as it is by so much time.

The Specials indeed are special, the lenses especially...