Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta's best
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember my alpha converted HH 1.8 ever suffering any vignetting either on my A900 or A77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Apparently, Asian tastes differ as to colour rendition, particularly in Japan. In Europe, light bulbs tend to be of the warm spectrum, 3400-4200K. However, in Asia, they prefer cooler ones in the 5600-6400K range. I read this a while back when researching lighting types for a job I had at the time.

Anyways, it's a factoid, for what it's worth.

Interesting. Since 6400k is equivalent to bright sun, to me, this means that Europeans prefer the warmth of early morning/late afternoon lighting, whereas the Japanese (and other Asians) prefer something closer to mid-day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Don't remember my alpha converted HH 1.8 ever suffering any vignetting either on my A900 or A77

Not if stopped down to f/2.8 or further. True. But heavy wide open, at least on my copy: MC W.Rokkor-HH 35 mm f/1.8 review

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
Tervueren wrote:

Not if stopped down to f/2.8 or further. True. But heavy wide open, at least on my copy: MC W.Rokkor-HH 35 mm f/1.8 review

That's the problem with reviews of older lenses, product variation especially with older glass as we are not aware of previous use/misuse although I've yet to find a really bad Minolta lens, I would like to say that yours had a problem but it might just as well be that mine was better or endured a kinder life lol, incidentally mine was ok wide open Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
That's the problem with reviews of older lenses, product variation especially with older glass as we are not aware of previous use/misuse although I've yet to find a really bad Minolta lens, I would like to say that yours had a problem but it might just as well be that mine was better or endured a kinder life lol, incidentally mine was ok wide open Smile

Yeah. If you look at the picture of mine, you can certainly conclude that it barely survived the years Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses i like most in the Minolta SR System (see also http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive):
* MC 2.8/21mm
* MC 2.5/28mm (radioactive)
* MC 1.8/35mm
* MC 1.2/58mm
* MD 1.7/85mm (or MD 2/85mm, if u prefer high micro contrast at f2)
* MD 2.5/100mm (5L)
* MC/MD 4/200mm (early MD only)

Minolta AF system (see also http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sony-af/objektive)
* AF 2.8/20mm
* AF 1.4/50mm
* AF 1.4/85mm G
* AF 2/100mm
* AF 2.8/200mm G HS
* AF 2.8/300mm G SSM
* AF 2.8/70-200mm G SSM

Greez, Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The lenses i like most in the Minolta SR System (see also http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive):
* MC 2.8/21mm
* MC 2.5/28mm (radioactive)
* MC 1.8/35mm
* MC 1.2/58mm
* MD 1.7/85mm (or MD 2/85mm, if u prefer high micro contrast at f2)
* MD 2.5/100mm (5L)
* MC/MD 4/200mm (early MD only)

Is there any reason other than the smoother focus rings to prefer the MC versions?
I've been trying to find the lightest versions (usually the MD-IIs), here's what I've got:
    MD 24/2.8 (MD-II version)
    MC 28/2.5 (MC-X version)
    MC 35/1.8 (MC-X version)
    MD 35/1.8 (MD-II version)
    MC 50/1.4 (MC-X version)
    MC 58/1.2 (MC-X version)
    MD 85/2.0 (MD-II version)
    MD 100/2.5 (MD-III version)
    MD 135/3.5 (MD-II verion)
    MD 200/4.0 (MD-I version)
    MD 200/2.8 (MD-II version)
    MD 300-S

I'll be selling these:
    MC 35/1.8
    MD 100/2.5
    MD 200/4

I guess it's time to get an A7...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:

I guess it's time to get an A7...

Indeed.... i feel the same! Just too many Minolta and Konica which mostly get used on film right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the "usual" assortment of Minolta MC/MD lenses, plus these I've mentioned before:

Minolta MD 85mm F2

Minolta MD 100mm F4 Macro

I've recently acquired an MD 16mm F2.8 fisheye

Very, very nice on a Sony A7. I will post some shots.....

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:

Is there any reason other than the smoother focus rings to prefer the MC versions?

I prefer the haptics of the early MC-X lenses - focus is super smooth and they simply feel rock solid. MC-X 3.5/135mm and MC-X 4.5/200mm are typical examples, along with the first version of the MC-X 2.8/24mm.

That said, several MD-III lenses are optically superior to their MC-X counterparts. The following MD-III primes are among the very best contemporary MF lenses:

* MD-III 2.8/16mm Fisheye
* MD-III 2.8/20mm
* MD-III 2.8/24mm
* MD-III 2/28mm
* MD-III 1.8/35mm
* MD-III 2.8/35mm
* MD-III 1.2/50mm
* MD-III 2/50mm
* MD-III 2/85mm
* MD-III 2.5/100mm
* MD-III 4/100mm Macro
* MD-III 2/135mm
* MD-III 6.3/600mm APO

S

EDIT: 2.8/35mm added

Last edited by stevemark on Thu May 09, 2024 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually quite like how latest MD lenses handle. Yeah, there's plastic, but it feels nice and the focusing is very smooth (of course, if the lens in question is in good condition, goes without saying).
I.e. I don't mind how MD-III 50mm F2 feels, it's very solid, lightweight and it just feels "right". I wish the aperture ring felt more "MC-ish", but that's about it.
Of course, nothing beats how a good copy of MC 58mm F1.4 feels, or even older Minolta lenses, yet I'd never confuse more plastic MD lenses with modern entry level Tamrons, Samyangs, Viltroxes
or even Sony lenses etc.
To most of us that's obvious, but it's worth saying for those who didn't feel the difference and may avoid all "plastic". There are also "metal and glass" lenses that feel less solid.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I actually quite like how latest MD lenses handle. Yeah, there's plastic, but it feels nice and the focusing is very smooth (of course, if the lens in question is in good condition, goes without saying).
To most of us that's obvious, but it's worth saying for those who didn't feel the difference and may avoid all "plastic". There are also "metal and glass" lenses that feel less solid.

True. And unllike the few cheaper MD-III prime lenses (such as MD-III 2/50, 1.7/50 and 2.8/28 [5/5]), all MD-III lenses in my above list are mainly built from metal. Soemtimes the Aperture ring is plastic, but that's it.

S

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple that I really like......

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the Tele Rokkor 100mm f/2.5, the 5/5 version. So either the last MC version (which I have), or the MD version. Sharp from corner to corner, but more importantly, one of the best bokeh lenses I know.

MinTeleRokkor10025Irene_11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MinTeleRokkor10025Irene_18 by devoscasper, on Flickr\

MinTeleRokkor10025Irene_14 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MinTeleRokkor10025Irene_10 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I can recommend the Tele Rokkor 100mm f/2.5, the 5/5 version. So either the last MC version (which I have), or the MD version. Sharp from corner to corner, but more importantly, one of the best bokeh lenses I know.

It is indeed a very good lens when used with a good deep hood. Without a deep hood it is prone to flare and loss of contrast; in that sense the MDIII 75-150/4 is more forgiving.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember 55/1.9 the most.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sergun
I’m not aware of the 55mm f/1.9, but your images definitely look good. I have the 55/1.7, 55/1.8 and 55/2, of which the last one is probably my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
@Sergun
I’m not aware of the 55mm f/1.9, but your images definitely look good. I have the 55/1.7, 55/1.8 and 55/2, of which the last one is probably my favorite.

That particular lens was used on the first production run of the SR T 100 which was a USA request so this lens was sold as a kit lens for that particular body only in North America at that time. When that body was later offered all over the world, it was now sold with the MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm F 2.

It was the first lens with a rubber grip, only had feet on its distance scale which is standard for the USA and was the first lens to have its serial number removed from the front ring (in this case the serial number was at the edge of the filter ring at the bottom of the lens when the lens was mounted on camera, and you can add to this that it is engraved there with no paint so it is very difficult to see/read).

Seeing you are from the Netherlands, it is likely very difficult to find in Europe or Asia.[img]

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelb wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
@Sergun

That particular lens was used on the first production run of the SR T 100 which was a USA request so this lens was sold as a kit lens for that particular body only in North America at that time. When that body was later offered all over the world, it was now sold with the MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm F 2.

It was the first lens with a rubber grip, only had feet on its distance scale which is standard for the USA and was the first lens to have its serial number removed from the front ring (in this case the serial number was at the edge of the filter ring at the bottom of the lens when the lens was mounted on camera, and you can add to this that it is engraved there with no paint so it is very difficult to see/read).

Seeing you are from the Netherlands, it is likely very difficult to find in Europe or Asia.[img]

Interesting, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
I remember 55/1.9 the most.

Great captures! Like Dog

michelb wrote:

Fascinating bit of history! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So great to see the 55mm f1.9 mentioned! My first SLR was an SR-T100 with 55mm f1.9 that my parents gave me when I went off to college. I used it for several years before selling it to buy Nikon gear when I got into J-school. At the time, I thought it just wasn't cool enough of a camera and lens, though in retrospect I should have been thinking less about the gear and more about the images.

Today, I've got as many Minolta lenses as I really need -- I even recently sold my 28mm f2.5. Last weekend, I shot with an SR-T100 and a 100mm f2.5 MC Tele Rokkor PF that I found dirt cheap at Goodwill. I didn't even try to clean them up before I took them out. We'll see how the images are.

There are five Rokkor lenses that I return to for the beauty of their images on film and handling, in no particular order.

28mm f2.8 MD Rokkor-X
35mm f2.8 MD Celtic
50mm f1.7 MD Rokkor-X
100mm f2.5 MD Rokkor-X
135mm f3.5 MD Rokkor-X (perhaps the most underrated Rokkor, so good)

But I also like these lenses, just for the pure joy of using them not for ultimate sharpness.

35mm f2.8 MC W Rokkor HG
58mm f1.4 MC
100mm f2.5 MC Tele Rokkor PF (I now have two of them)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
So great to see the 55mm f1.9 mentioned! My first SLR was an SR-T100 with 55mm f1.9 that my parents gave me when I went off to college. I used it for several years before selling it to buy Nikon gear when I got into J-school. At the time, I thought it just wasn't cool enough of a camera and lens, though in retrospect I should have been thinking less about the gear and more about the images.

Today, I've got as many Minolta lenses as I really need -- I even recently sold my 28mm f2.5. Last weekend, I shot with an SR-T100 and a 100mm f2.5 MC Tele Rokkor PF that I found dirt cheap at Goodwill. I didn't even try to clean them up before I took them out. We'll see how the images are.

There are five Rokkor lenses that I return to for the beauty of their images on film and handling, in no particular order.

28mm f2.8 MD Rokkor-X
35mm f2.8 MD Celtic
50mm f1.7 MD Rokkor-X
100mm f2.5 MD Rokkor-X
135mm f3.5 MD Rokkor-X (perhaps the most underrated Rokkor, so good)

But I also like these lenses, just for the pure joy of using them not for ultimate sharpness.

35mm f2.8 MC W Rokkor HG
58mm f1.4 MC
100mm f2.5 MC Tele Rokkor PF (I now have two of them)

That's interesting. I was wondering how you reconciled working with two different systems in your sig line- and then the word film. Which reminds me I have to drop off a roll shot with the old F2- should probably do it today before I forget.

I am particularly impressed with a lot of the imagery I've seen by others made with the shorter Minolta telephoto's. I think I'll probably find an avenue for that, using film hopefully. Just a matter of patience and timing, and being in the right place at the right time...
An endeavor to think about for the future.

-D.S.