Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina Voigtlaender Apo 90/3.5 SL - A 5-Star Lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
laurence i dont know what to say, except the beauty of the colors almost brought a tear to my eye--best of luck and please, more more more!
tony

I certainly agree about the colors. As I said, I LOVE the neutrality of
the colors, as well as the richness and depth of colors. Of course, some
of that has to do with the film, and some with the lens. I am
anticipating good colors from the Provia.

I wonder what would happen with this lens matched to an SD14? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cosina Voigtlaender Apo 90/3.5 SL - A 5-Star Lens! Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Laurence wrote:
I can't express the limits of my excitement! I received this lens from
a benefactor on this forum Shocked who has a heart of gold. This came
as a total shock to me, and I'm blown away by the generosity.

I'm excited to think of such a good lens in your hands. (And my congratulations to the benefactor for such a magnanimous gesture).

The test images are really very nice. i look forward to your next photos with this lens!

Thanks Chris. And thanks for the complment on the test image. Of course,
that's all they were, "test images". I hope to get some good images from
my beloved rain forests. I will be heading to the Quinault Valley over the
Christmas break.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, if the apo concept is fascinating, what about "Superachromats" Max Herzberger at Zeiss developed a few
years ago and was put into reality for three lenses of the Zeiss Hasselblad series of lenses?
Not only three wavelengths are perfectly corrected but four (even the IR index is obsolete on these lenses)!
An interesting read about ultra precise workmanship:
http://www.zeiss.de/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/ff8a7b7a369c1549c12570fb0048e952
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/0DD27E34D317C555C12569770054C1A4

A very good read Klaus,
Now the ultimate fantasy has changed for me Smile !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

well if you want to find out let me know, as i just got a 5d and if things work out as i think, i may be parting ways with the sd14...
t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, that's superb lens and dangerous one (to my pocket).
Smile Mike

Last edited by djmike on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I wonder why they stopped production? Perhaps a business move to make
the lenses more "rare"? Hard to tell what their motive is.

Maybe it was because of the deal with Zeiss Sad
Laurence wrote:

I use the 125/2.5 version on SD14 and I like it:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I wonder why they stopped production? Perhaps a business move to make
the lenses more "rare"? Hard to tell what their motive is.

Cosina is certainly an intriguing firm when it comes to marketing. Like most folks, I only know what I read, either on the web or in photo magazines, and have no insider information at all. My feeling is that "Mr Cosina" has a shrewd mind that's highly attuned to the prevailing market and that his firm has the sort of set up that lets him switch quickly and easily from one line to another.

I think that if Cosina has a steady seller - like the 12mm rangefinder super-wide which has no competition - they keep it going, If (when) orders fall away for something, then it gets removed and whatever machinery is involved gets re-deployed to something else, possibly its replacement. That's maybe happened with the 15mm and 25mm RF lenses which were replaced this year with modified versions which would appeal to a (slightly) different clientele.

Some lenses are introduced and marketed as 'limited editions', meaning - I guess - limited to what Mr Cosina thinks can be sold at a premium price. If that intial batch really storms of the shelves, then he brings out a slightly different version - as with the recent 50mm Heliar - at a similar pricing level. The Zeiss-branded lenses I suppose will follow a different philosophy. Zeiss actually sell them, and as long as Zeiss keep ordering, no doubt they'll stay in production.

None of that directly addresses the question as to why the Apo-Lanthar in SLR mounts disappeared, but I don't think it's principally to do with making them scarce in the market place. Mr Kobayashi might simply have wanted to turn over whatever machinery was involved to producing something that was expected to sell faster or more profitably, maybe even the Zeiss-branded ones. If you can sell 20 or 30 Apo-Lanthars in a given period but 200 or 300 "Zeiss" ones, then it would be an easy decision to drop one in favour of the other. Kobayashi has to be a hard-headed business man rather than the "Fotographer's Phrend" and, for all I know, his factory may not be a large one. But who knows, maybe there'll be a re-incarnation IF he thinks it's going to be worthwhile. Or if the Zeiss orders dry up!

Better say that I like CV lenses - I have two CV rangefinder lenses, the now discontinued 35/1.7 (which is technically excellent and photographically a highly sensible design, and also now discontinued, replaced by a faster model) and 21mm f4 screw mount which I bought recently because I'm convinced that production has already ended in favour of the much more expensive re-mounted version. I quite fancy the RF Apo Lanthar, but I suspect manufacture has already been stopped - time CV had a "Speed Giant" 85 or 90mm in their range! And CV lenses never seem to get sold-off cheaply, do they?