Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 28/2 vs Rokkor 28/2 vs Vivitar 1 28/2 wide open ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Zuiko 28/2 vs Rokkor 28/2 vs Vivitar 1 28/2 wide open ? Reply with quote

Hi !
these are some variants for a normal fast on APS_C .What do you think?
especially for low light or night city photo on my new nex3 Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Series 1 Vivitar a 1.9/28?

Anyway, I guess the Zuiko probably is the best one, the Rokkor surely not bad and the Vivtars as well as the Kiron also perform great on APS.
Esp. for the NEX I like the Zuikos a lot, because of their compact size.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Isn't the Series 1 Vivitar a 1.9/28?

Anyway, I guess the Zuiko probably is the best one, the Rokkor surely not bad and the Vivtars as well as the Kiron also perform great on APS.
Esp. for the NEX I like the Zuikos a lot, because of their compact size.

Thank you ! I was thinking the same . It is a vivitar series 1 indeed . Probably cheaper than the Zuiko and Rokkor . The Zuiko is indeed, more compact .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar also produced an f/2 version of the Close Focus model, which might be better than the Series 1. All are good lenses; the Series 1 probably has more CA based on my Series 1 experiences. If I were you, and may be a NEX owner in the near future, when given a choice of lenses that are all good, I would consider the mount that would not force another purchase. I expect I would have a Rokkor adapter (only because I have old collection still) and then try to limit the others needed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you mean this MD W.Rokkor 2/28mm.. this is a perfect lens !!

I converted this Rokkor to Canon EOS and it's on par with an Elmarit 2.8/28mm !! The Bokeh is great and gives stunning results..

Me, i would prefer this lens. Cant remember a better one in this class.

All pics taken at f2 !! On a NEX outch.. this lens is better for FF use.. !
But for sure the lens will do it as nicely as on FF.. but to use the Lens only on a NEX will bring tears in my eyes.. Crying or Very sad

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker , in fact it is a MC 28mm f2 , I think it's a little bigger and heavier than the MD 28mm f2.Don't know about the coatings , it's possible that the MD have better coatings than the MC (my MC 24 flares a little too much )
woodrim, in fact I have the MC 24mm f2.8 ,MD 28mm f2.8 and the 45mm f2 Rokkors that share a brand new adapter and a silver nex 3 Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a test comparing these lenses: the Minolta MD 28/2, Vivitar 28/2 CF and Vivitar 28/1.9. I just don't have experience with the Zuiko....but I can say that the Minolta is absolutelly STUNNING wide open, the Vivitar 28/2 CF is also very nice wide open but suffers from CA, and the 28/1.9 is a little soft, but has a nice character and nice bokeh.

I doubt the zuiko is better than the Minolta, because the minolta is so sharp wide open....and closed to f/2.8 is one of my sharpest lenses.

I'll have to look for my test and I will post here

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found it... full res samples...all wide open

Minolta 28/2 MD
http://www.ivanlee.com.br/photos/min28.jpg

Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus
http://www.ivanlee.com.br/photos/viv28cf.jpg

Vivitar 28/1.9 Series 1
http://www.ivanlee.com.br/photos/viv28s1.jpg

if you need more samples I have here...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have those samples? Please re-post, it would be nice to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice question. Very instructive, thanks.

I can see a strong CA in the 1 and 3 images from hinnerker.

And he said the lens is a perfect one.

The CA is "normal" in so good wide lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread. Since my last post, I have acquired a Vivitar Close Focus 2/28. WHile I have no Rokkor to compare with, this Vivitar is wonderful. All taken wide open...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, the sharpness is impressive, especially the banknote. Hard to believe they were taken wide open. Is it made by Komine?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Komine. Each shot was a test of wide open when I first got the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those really are very impressive Woodrim!

My Vivitar 2/28 is the one made by Kiron, it doesn't say 'close focus' ( nevertheless focuses down to 30 cm ) and from what I read it's possibly the fast 28mm Vivitar that is regarded the least of all, however I have found it very sharp too.
Wide open possibly not as impressively so as the Close Focus by Komine but imo still quite good for a 2/28 wide open, a test shot I just did in the garden:

100% crops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to use it on crop sensor none of them is good enough. But you can buy Mitakon Lens Turbo II and one AF-S Nikkor 35 1.8 and it will be something like 28 1.2 on your nex and cheaper too. Optically - better than all 28 2.0.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be selling my Rokkor 28/2 shortly, since getting my K3 I'm not finding I use my minolta glass very often.