Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom Nikkor AiS 80-200 f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Zoom Nikkor AiS 80-200 f/4.5 Reply with quote

So having looked at the bank balance and decided that a period of calm and moderation was needed to make up for festive season excesses - I just bought a lens on Ebay. Oops. Didn't actually think my bid would win.

I had the winning bid on a Zoom Nikkor AiS 80-200 f/4.5. And 30.50 euro was a pretty good price. Cosmetic condition is 'well used' but it should be okay optically.

Any experiences with this lens? Yes, its a zoom and won't be up to the performance of a prime.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried any Nikkor zooms ,because plenty of primes available. I tried many Tamron SP zooms they are decent performers, some of them good as or better than many prime. I am curious to your experience with this lens, thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Chris. You could have got it for even less. I was the one bidding against you. This lens is legendary but like you I decided on some restraint - I would buy it if I could get it for a song but not otherwise. If I had not just purchased a few lenses I probably would have gone higher. So I suppose the bright side is that you still got a legendary lens for a song.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
Sorry Chris. You could have got it for even less. I was the one bidding against you.

Heh! Well, no wories, i still can't complain about the price.

peterm1 wrote:
This lens is legendary

Well, thats good to hear. I was wanting something longer (I have a 24-120 VR but its MF action is awful and its f/5.6 at the long end) and this will do nicely at a price I can manage.

peterm1 wrote:
but like you I decided on some restraint - I would buy it if I could get it for a song but not otherwise. If I had not just purchased a few lenses I probably would have gone higher. So I suppose the bright side is that you still got a legendary lens for a song.

Yes, my good luck and I hope another turns up that you also get for a song. Having bought the CV40 in December I wasn't supposed to be buying anything else at all ....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The successor to this lens (80-200/2.Cool is one of the best lenses they ever made although the newest version has its dedicated followers. If you like zooms, a combo of the nikkors 35-70/2,8 and the 80-200 is a match for almost anything out there. You should be very happy with your purchase - that is a very fine lens and the price is almost a joke for the quality.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it (I've got the 2.8 AF in this range) but it has a very good reputation. I look forward to seeing some shots.