Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar 16mm Fisheye
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Zenitar 16mm Fisheye Reply with quote

Hello all MF addicts,

I recently acquired a zenitar 16mm fisheye and really enjoy it. Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened, but it looks like there is a "hole" in the lens and it lets light flares in. Its really not cool during the day as it adds this purple dot to images. I tried cleaning it with just a cloth and rubbing in small circles around the lens, but i still see this 'spot' which i think is where the light comes in at.

My question is, how can I fix/clean that? and I THINK the lens is MC.. so is there a way to fix it with some solution? or do i have to find some camera shop and let them play with it?

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know what... I think you're right...Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to just be an unevenness/spot in the coating. Knowing the quality control issues typically associated with the lens, this is probably a manufacturer defect. It's odd that it would affect your pictures in such an extreme way but unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a sample of the problem images? I can't see that coating fault causing much of a problem, so I suspect different cause.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

video that shows it too - http://www.kastromedia.com/vids/flare.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar 16mm is not a fisheye.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How so?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Que? I'm shooting on a crop sensor which makes it ~28 so the distortion is not as great..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

I have the same lens and I can assure you it is a fisheye. Maybe the fish effect is not so obvious nowadays on a cropped body.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a bad pixel?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean guys, but when I see the the pics taken with a peleng, then I feel like fish.
Nothing against you Paul Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Could it be a bad pixel?

Naw 'cause when I shade it, it goes away.. I'm going to try an alcohol based cleaner and see if maybe that'll do it..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys have talked about using a black texta on surface cracks or dings on the front elements I am not sure if that would work with this issue?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try something really non-drastic. Punch out a circle of black matte construction paper and stick it over the hole. Just a tiny bit of water will hold it there long enough for a test. If the flare still remains, then the problem is elsewhere. If it's gone, maybe search for a more permanent solution to cover the hole.

Quote:
I'm going to try an alcohol based cleaner and see if maybe that'll do it

I don't truthfully believe any amount of cleaner is going to do the job for this. Unless there is something in that picture that I don't see, it looks as if coating is missing, not dirty or something similar. Cleaning doesn't recreate coatings unfortunately (oh how I've wished that).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

It is!

On fullframe (what those lenses were made for) The Peleng is a circular fisheye and the Zenitar is a diagonal fisheye (that fills the whole frame).

On Crop the Zenitar turns into a wide angle with heavy distortion, but still is is a fisheye lens, and the Peleng turns into some kind of diagonal fisheye (like the Zenitar on fullframe, but with even heavier distortion).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00Iqb2

Sorry, if this post sounds like a lecture but we cannot leave your statement uncommented, since it is wrong. Wink