Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit photosniper + TAIR- 3Phs 4.5/300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Zenit photosniper + TAIR- 3Phs 4.5/300mm Reply with quote

Hello folks

Yesterday I got this piece of Russian craftsmanship delivered to me. It`s a 1970 Photosniper.

I payed ~ 100$ ( with shipping ) for it. This set has a Zenit- ES camera, Industar 50-2 lens, TAIR- 3Phs lens, 5 filters, 2 film cases , lens caps and the weapon part - handle.

The condition of it is 7/10. Lenses are clean and work properly,however the camera needs to be repaired ( I have one more in mint condition so no worries Smile ) and the screwdivers are missing .
This set ways 5.3 kilos and ,when put together is ~ half a meter long.

The most interesting thing about this set is the TAIR- 3Phs f4.5/300mm Lens. The lens is coated and shimmers lightly yellowish. The closest distance is three meters, focussing is done with the focussing knob at the front of the lense. The TAIR als has a tripod mount, unfortunately with the old 3/8'' system. But with a converter you can use it with common 1/4'' tripods, too. The diaphragm has to be cocked and released manually. Focusing with this lens is very comfortable ,however working with the diaphragm can be a pain in the neck.
I can`t actually tell you much about this lens , nor can I show sample photos just yet ( need to borrow a dslr first ) , but in the upcoming week I think I`ll show you what more or less this lens is capable of.

If someone has or had any experience with this lens/set please post your photo samples, give comments Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a gray version of photosniper, but i haven't really tested the lens yet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here .... http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-s-and-birds-of-the-lake-t36983.html
A lens that I really like, use it for so long without a tripod is difficult (it is heavy). Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to use a different later model Tair 300mm back at art college 20 years ago. I remember it was sharp but wasn't as contrasty as the Nikon 300 the college also had, I think that was partly due to the Nikon having a dep purple coloured multi coating and the Tair having the older less effective yellow coating. The Tair was good though, but very very heavy, you need a monopod if you want to handhold it for more than 5 mins otherwise you'll be needing to see a chiropracter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there another 300mm that comes close to this Tair's size and weight? Does anyone know why this is so big? Was it the fastest 300mm available when it was introduced?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danikatia wrote:
................A lens that I really like, use it for so long without a tripod is difficult (it is heavy). Very Happy

Yes. It is heavy, but well balanced, because the focusknob is wayout front on the lens and so is i.m.o. not difficult at all to use without a tripod! Most of my birdshots were made with this Tair (see also my avatar left). Here are some examples (all without a tripod):

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie, you have some fantastic bird shots Smile

I also have this outfit and the focus method is very nice. It's a shame it isn't used more often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sample pic and the info. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples Bgie!
In your avatar you push the shutter release on the camera directly. Dindn't you manage to shoot the camera with the trigger of the sniper? I think that would make it easier to balance the set and use for such picture taking?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Great samples Bgie!
In your avatar you push the shutter release on the camera directly. Dindn't you manage to shoot the camera with the trigger of the sniper? I think that would make it easier to balance the set and use for such picture taking?

Using the complete snipergun has i.m.o. a number of disadvantages:
1. it ads extra weight;
2. it hampers me in moving the camera while following a flying bird;
3. in these uptight times we life in I don't want to end up in jail! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Great samples Bgie!

Unless you are using the Zenit body that comes with the "rifle" it isn't easy to make use of the trigger. It acts on a secondary shutter button on the bottom of the camera body (as well as tripping the cocked aperture of the lens). Very Heath Robinson Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Unless you are using the Zenit body that comes with the "rifle" it isn't easy to make use of the trigger. It acts on a secondary shutter button on the bottom of the camera body (as well as tripping the cocked aperture of the lens). Very Heath Robinson Smile

True, but I know a guy who has taped a wireless release to the gun it seems work fine for him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:
Yes. It is heavy, but well balanced, because the focusknob is wayout front on the lens and so is i.m.o. not difficult at all to use without a tripod!

+1 (if otherwise you might consider doing some pushups Wink )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Bogie wrote:
Yes. It is heavy, but well balanced, because the focusknob is wayout front on the lens and so is i.m.o. not difficult at all to use without a tripod!

+1 (if otherwise you might consider doing some pushups Wink )

It is not difficult to use it (maybe I have not explained well .... Smile ) I think using it for a long time is tiring ....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I remember shooting a concert with Jupiter-6-2. My arm was sore for a three days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Sure. I remember shooting a concert with Jupiter-6-2. My arm was sore for a three days.

Laughing Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the standard Tair 300 ( non sniper ) and it's a great lens, but not one I use a lot because of its weight.
I do most of photography when I'm out walking, and I can't afford a Sherpa to carry the damn thing ! Laughing
For that application I use an old Soligor 300, which is a 5.5 instead of a 4.5 and slightly smaller and lighter, but the Tair has the optics.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
Bogie, you sure handle your equipment very well !
Very good results for a Taïr-3 on a K20-D !
Congrats.