Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Triotar 85/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Triotar 85/4 Reply with quote

Richard wrote, in the Trioplan thread: The club that begins with Tr..?

I had a thought in my head about making a joke out of his statement, and was going to say, "Oh yeah! The Triotar, I've heard of that!" Laughing

So, of course, that got me to thinking. The camera club that I "sort of" belong to (though I haven't gone to meetings in a while Embarassed ) has a print on the wall taken with the old 85/4 Triotar and Contax (I think) camera.

I do remember that the print was simply wonderful, in a sort of offbeat, "softish", glowing way, and was VERY three-dimensional. In fact, I'm going to go to the next meeting just to take a look again.

I DO remember that it impressed quite a few of us members. It's probably about a 16x20 good sized black and white print, and the subject had a dog in it.

In fact, in talking with others who were viewing the print, we all mentioned that it wasn't particularly sharp, but at the same time "not particularly soft", but that it was simply a beautiful work in any case. I actually DO remember that I made some kind of comment about the beauty of the out-of-focus background...but's that about all I can remember at this point.

Now that my curiosity is starting to gnaw at me, I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the Zeiss Triotar 85/4?

I'm finding a Meyer Triotar at 85/4.5 on the MFLenses site, but no Zeiss Triotar 85/4.

I'm wondering if this 3-element lens might have some of that "glow" that the Trioplan has? Or maybe something else equally as cool? Cool

Hmmm...food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triotar is Carl Zeiss name, and not available in 85mm , I saw only 13,5cm and 135mm f4 Triotar lenses. This lens a budget Sonnar , less good than Sonnar 135mm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triotar yes about same level quality than Trioplan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triotar and Trioplan are both (as the name suggest) based on the Cooke Triplet scheme.

I personally find the images made by Trioplan slightly more pleasing.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Triotar is Carl Zeiss name, and not available in 85mm , I saw only 13,5cm and 135mm f4 Triotar lenses. This lens a budget Sonnar , less good than Sonnar 135mm.

Hi Attila, do you mean the 85mm is simply no longer available? Because it was definitely produced back in the 40s by Zeiss. Here's a site: http://elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/triotarfeb2006/

Bokeh looked nice in the images presented, and at least this person, Mike Elek indicated: I feel safe in saying that the Triotar will easily beat the pants off almost any other triplet on the market and give other lenses a run for their money. Sharpness from edge to edge is very good to excellent, regardless of whether I was shooting from closeup or at a distance. Distortion is very well controlled to the point where it's negligible and not an issue.

Here's one of about 4 or 5 for sale on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Carl-Zeiss-f-Contax-IIa-4-85mm-Triotar_W0QQitemZ280171436318QQcategoryZ17693QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best in this forum I always learn something new, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is the best in this forum I always learn something new, thank you!

I do too, Attila! For a relatively slow lens, it is steeply priced. Shocked

Euro 99 to Euro 600!

It's these kinds of "finds" that really interest me. Makes me consider giving it a try (except for the mount). Would there even be an adapter for Contax mount to Olympus/Canon/Pentax/M42?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask camera club if I may take an image of the enlargement on their wall.

I am curious too, if I will still think highly of the print from six or seven years ago when I last saw it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the 80 or 85 lenses in general.

After all, this forum has given me "different eyes" for judging prints and scans. That is why this forum is so incredibly enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Yashica/Contax adapter to my Olympus I guess this lens is not SLR lens so useful only for close up shoots only if you able to mount. Seller is well know for sky prices. He collect all rare lenses and selling for long time them.This lens has mm scale so I guess made around '50 , but I am not sure at all. Trioplan , triotar never been top lens so pay high price not a smart idea except if missing part from a collection. If you need great 80mm lens for low price. Take a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 P6 mount lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have Yashica/Contax adapter to my Olympus I guess this lens is not SLR lens so useful only for close up shoots only if you able to mount. Seller is well know for sky prices. He collect all rare lenses and selling for long time them.This lens has mm scale so I guess made around '50 , but I am not sure at all. Trioplan , triotar never been top lens so pay high price not a smart idea except if missing part from a collection. If you need great 80mm lens for low price. Take a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 P6 mount lens.

Yes, I see your point and agree totally. I borrowed the Biometar for my Pentax 645 from another Pentax user, up on Hurricane Ridge one day. It produced SHARP transparencies.

I personally wouldn't want to spend top dollars simply for collection. I need my money for good lenses that will work well for me! Smile The Triotar is a curiosity that is is fun to read about, simply because I am usually curious about the "lesser quality" lenses.

But, as Orio alludes to, the "quality" is more about the "personality" of the lens, than the extreme sharpness of a lens.