Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.8 Rollei Sony A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.8 Rollei Sony A7R Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy lady Like Dog Like Dog and great photo Friends

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot! And a question I have. The last month I analized the QUANTITY (not quality) of the background blur, based on my own experience and some calculations, and I have now the impression, that no wider aperture than 2.8 must be used in close portraits (head+shoulder), regardless 85mm or 200mm or whatever is used... At 1.8 or less the DOF is so thin that my wife prohibited me to take shots of her. Maybe the main reason the mass zoom lenses by all brands to have 2.8 as aperture and focal range of 70 to 200. Under 70 the perspective distortion is more visible (while I like to use even 35mm), and over 200mm (on my first 200mm session the last week) I found I cannot communicate with the model, so far she was in the full body shots. Still new in the both manual and tele lens.

Cheerz
Friends

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you!

baychlen wrote:
Great shot! And a question I have. The last month I analized the QUANTITY (not quality) of the background blur, based on my own experience and some calculations, and I have now the impression, that no wider aperture than 2.8 must be used in close portraits (head+shoulder), regardless 85mm or 200mm or whatever is used... At 1.8 or less the DOF is so thin that my wife prohibited me to take shots of her. Maybe the main reason the mass zoom lenses by all brands to have 2.8 as aperture and focal range of 70 to 200. Under 70 the perspective distortion is more visible (while I like to use even 35mm), and over 200mm (on my first 200mm session the last week) I found I cannot communicate with the model, so far she was in the full body shots. Still new in the both manual and tele lens.

Cheerz
Friends

Just beginner shoot at wide open with fast lenses every scenes, bokeh has secondary importance in portrait photography. In general one stop down helps to every fast lenses to get clear , sharp images, plus DOF is deeper so you have less chance to miss focus important part EYES! if eyes unsharp picture is practically garbage, any other part of the body can be blurry depend from scene, frame etc.
Use aperture what you like and you satisfied with result. Most of the zoom lenses what I use was way behind prime lenses, I did give up all zoom lenses, I never want to use any of them to shoot people.
Before I get actual experience what I have. I always made shoot at F8 at least I had a sharp series and I didn't have shame before model I couldn't capture even a damn sharp frame Smile next series was done around f2.8- F4 that is still safe zone with most prime lenses. Finally if I had enough time and model face was parallel with front of lens I did capture a series one stop down at F2 , basically I never made any shoot wide open , except I would show lens performance at wide open , which is so non professional , just most amateur like to know it.

If distance is high because long lens in usage for full body shoots, use walkie talkie ... seriously .. every scenes require different focal length and apperture, close part of head shoot require 200mm lens at F8 , classic portrait 85mm af F4 etc I use 35mm to get longer legs etc etc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I used shorter lens all my life and was just afraid to use the longer I had. Maybe 70-200 stabilized will take place soon, but let see what happens with the manuals first. Speaking about sharp focus, my daughter yesterday succeed to make 80% sharp manuals with 140/1.8 with the help of focus peaking and external monitor. While 70-200 are enough heavy too, she will not go shoot habdheld with such a weight, even stabilized. Me probably shall.

About the bokeh in portraits - I dont like too, one eye focused and another blurred. Most people say 85 1.2 is the perfect portrait lens, and it cannot be used in close plans fuly opeden, nor even f2. There is no perfect focal distance for me, as I do use now the full spectrum from say 10mm to 200mm (my 10 to 85mm lenses are all autofocus, but already using them always in manual mode, or 90% of the cases).

And yes, I bought some years ago walkie-talkie for sesions, but not to communicate with the models, just when moving across off-road locations. The idea to command a model when shooting 200 or 300 must be tried sure. I use now my daughter to command models (and translate to spanish and catalonian, because Im not a good spanish speaker).

Cheerz!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty good ratio with 140mm f1.8 , 85mm f1.2 a stunning portrait lens indeed, but only stupids use it always wide open, lenses has aperture must have to use right aperture depend from scene.