Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Planar Rollei 85mm 1.4 htf
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Zeiss Planar Rollei 85mm 1.4 htf Reply with quote

Hello, recently I found a Zeiss Planar Rollei 85mm 1.4 htf lens, sadly i don't know very much about it or what it is even worth, I was hoping you all cound give me some info it, it has a really interersting 3 blade aperture.

I ordered the Rollie to EOS adapter for my 7D but it hasn't arrived yet.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
How much did you pay for it?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General information on the lens by Marco Cavina:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_Planar_85mm_1,4/00_pag.htm
(use google translate if you don't understand italian)

The "Best of Lenses" gallery thread dedicated to this lens:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-planar-hft-1-4-85-rollei-sl-t39760.html

In short: the lens is a classic design, first realized for the Contarex line of lenses by Heinrich Basista and Bernhard Sonnenberg, under the supervision of the genial Erhard Glatzel, in the end of the 60s.
The design was so successful that is was later ported over to other line of lenses, such as the Arriflex line for movie cameras (see in Marco Cavina's article some images samples taken from the movie "Taxi Driver" that used this lens), the Rollei SL line for SLR cameras, and the Contax line, also for SLR cameras. It's later incarnation is in the Z line of lenses for SLR cameras, currently in production.
While the Contarex, Contax, and Z lines exemplars have a (more or less) normal iris shape, the Rollei and Arriflex version use the triangular iris shape.

My personal impression of the lens:

1- it has slightly more CA than the Contax exemplars (but it might be my copy). It is not however a major issue for me (for some people it is, especially those who make studio work with the lens wide open).

2- depending on the camera you use, it might be impossible to reach infinity focus with an adapter. For instance, I use the lens with the EOS 5D Mark II and it can not reach infinity focus. I don't care because I don't take landscape images with this lens. But if you do, this might be an issue for you.

Under all other respects, the lens renders identically to the commonly known Contax version.
The triangular highlights can be annoying, or they can be a plus, this depends on your image. For instance, I think that with traffic lights in the evening they look very cool Smile :
(I missed the focus in this image, but it conveys the point)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT, i am constantly amazed at the depth and quality of knowledge we have on this forum, and how much time people like orio take to share that knowledge with others.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
OT, i am constantly amazed at the depth and quality of knowledge we have on this forum, and how much time people like orio take to share that knowledge with others.

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks for all the great info!!!!!! I'm learning a lot about the lens!

Himself wrote:
Welcome aboard!
How much did you pay for it?

I paid 100 dollars for it, but I think i will sell it. Dose anyone know what this lens is going for? I would like to at least get what I paid for it back.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielV wrote:
I paid 100 dollars for it, but I think i will sell it. Dose anyone know what this lens is going for? I would like to at least get what I paid for it back.
oh man! if youre fine with getting back what you paid for it Ill grab it from you immediatelly! Smile but I think the real price is more than 100usd Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielV wrote:

You won't have any trouble getting several times what you paid. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wouldn't sell it again for less than $500-1000, if it is in good condition.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 dollars? Shocked
This lens is commonly sold around 600 Euros!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Cistron wrote:
Yes, I wouldn't sell it again for less than $500-1000, if it is in good condition.

It is, Ive been using it on my 7d, it looks amazing. I think I'm going to ask $600 for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it man! $100 for the best ever portrait lens is a sign providence is smiling on you, and one should never kick providence!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
keep it man! $100 for the best ever portrait lens is a sign providence is smiling on you, and one should never kick providence!
+1, unless you hate using it and need the money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally love the 3 bladed aperture, it's a very interesting effect, and definitely gives the lens a lot of character. on top of that, you got it for a killer price! i agree with rbelyell and Cistron -- keep it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those cases that neither your nor the original owner knew what they were buying and you were the one that came out on top.. I envy you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Still interested in selling Reply with quote

Hello,
Do you still have the lens and are you interested in selling for decent price...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mention that 3 blades would be less complicated and more durable needs to rest. I had the situation where I had to open one of this, and it has in total 9 blades where the triangular part is because only the outer blade shows. So it's 9 in groups of 3. I've read Marco Corvina guess that the mechanism in Contaflex would benefit and that maybe this design minimized the torque needed for each blade. However, there being 9, I am not so sure this is the explanation. Also, this lens appeared on Rollei 1 year before Contare, and Contarex had about 400 units produced while Rollei about 4000.

I'd like to ask the designer regarding the triangular aperture. It is really unique, and having cleaned one, i'd also venture the mechanism on Rollei was also in need of something that would require less torque. The mechanism resembles that of the Rollei Tessar 200mm 4.0 and 35mm f1.4 Hopefully, you'll never have to deal with it. It really was hard to put back together, and had to learn it because of my love for this lens. It was 3 days of learning and extreme patience.