Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss perfection...100mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Zeiss perfection...100mm f2 Reply with quote

There are some lenses which simply excel - their reputations, hard earned, simply never dim. One such is the Contax Zeiss 100mm f2 T* Planar.

I bought one in the early 1980s as part of a sports book project, along with a number of Zeiss' fastest lenses. It's edge-to-edge sharpness, even illumination and high contrast remain hard to better even today so I decided to see if it could pass muster with today's digital sensors. I popped it onto a Fuji GFX 50S using a Fotodiox Pro adapter and grabbed a few snaps - a 50Mp sensor should be a tough test.

The image of the end-of-season blackberry bush is an 80% crop from the original as the file size was far too large to upload but I think you can see the quality of the lens. The hand-held shot on a very cold morning was taken at 1/250s, f2 and at ISO800. One of the benefits of f2 is the shallowness of the dof which has helped isolate the berries from the rest of the image.

The photo of the lens shows it attached to a Contax AX - always a winning combination.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss perfection...100mm f2 Reply with quote

biggles3 wrote:
... The hand-held shot on a very cold morning was taken at 1/250s, f2 and at ISO800.

So the aperture of the CY 2/100mm isn't completely open at f2?
Or why are the background highlights not round, but polygonal ...?

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of F/D lenses do that to me in the cold- with the cause being less than clean aperture blades.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I've had a couple of F/D lenses do that to me in the cold- with the cause being less than clean aperture blades.

-D.S.

I've never seen a c/y Zeiss with oily blades neither with aperture not working properly, in this regard probably they're amongst the best (same as good focussing grease over the time) - totally contrary to m42 Zeiss

I'm curious if that hood is for the 100mm lens ? It seems like an ultra wide angle one , I might be wrong though,but it's weird that the front element is very exposed and that how would not help much I guess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I've never seen a c/y Zeiss with oily blades neither with aperture not working properly, in this regard probably they're amongst the best (same as good focussing grease over the time) - totally contrary to m42 Zeiss

I'm curious if that hood is for the 100mm lens ? It seems like an ultra wide angle one , I might be wrong though,but it's weird that the front element is very exposed and that how would not help much I guess

Hi there,

The hood to which you refer is actually the Contax 67/86 Adapter Ring to which the Metal Hood No.4 is usually attached, but if the hood was in place, you could not see the front element and lens bezel.