Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss legend and 1982 Yashica rarity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Zeiss legend and 1982 Yashica rarity Reply with quote

There was always a lot of wholly misplaced snobbery about Zeiss lenses made in Germany/West Germany compared with those made in Japan. Even today a MMJ (Multi-Mode Japan) lens will command a lower price than an older, AE German version and often much lower than a MMG (Multi-Mode Germany) where all three versions of the same lens can be bought.

Perhaps the lens that did most to challenge the false perception of the Japanese-made ones being inferior was the 21mm f2.8 T* Distagon MMJ. The reviews which greeted its arrival created such a demand that Zeiss was obliged to switch production resources to produce the extra glass. Today, the lens still commands a high value. The first time I saw it in a glass case, I mistook it for a new mid-range telephoto, so long is its barrel. Its length is perhaps not surprising when you realise that it contains 15 elements in 13 groups and that includes internal focusing and a floating element.

What makes the photo of the lens unusual is the camera to which it is attached: the uber-rare Yashica FX-A. I first saw it, alongside the Contax 137AF and 3 Zeiss AF lenses, at Photokina in 1982. Sadly for the photographic world (and ultimately both camera brands) this was at the time that Kyocera was in the process of acquiring Contax/Yashica. They abandoned the Contax AF system (which could actually use the same C/Y bayonet mount, unlike the much later N-series) and cancelled the Yashica FX-A. Luckily, about 800-1000 or so FX-As had already been manufactured and the majority were bought by US Government agencies but a small number made it across to Europe; none was sold in Japan. What made the FX-A unique was its use of Honeywell's Focus Confirmation module. It is still easy to use - when looking through the viewfinder there are three symbols in a line - with the centre lighting green for correct focus and the two outer ones showing a red for under- or over- the correct focus. It all pre-dates the Contax RX's Digital Focus Indicator.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting camera indeed (uo to now I didn't know it), and a most beautiful vintage superwide!

Thanks for sharing the information and the corresponding image!

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Interesting camera indeed (uo to now I didn't know it), and a most beautiful vintage superwide!

Thanks for sharing the information and the corresponding image!

S

I'm pleased it was of interest to you. Sadly, not many people got to enjoy the little FX-A but they do pop up from time to time in Europe, though finding working ones is becoming harder.