Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikonta 533/16 BII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Zeiss Ikonta 533/16 BII Reply with quote

So, I have an opportunity to buy one of these: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22458665@N05/4758422678/ for less than £99

This seems a great price, but I was wondering if there are potential issues I should look out for before committing. Allegedly the light-meter works, and as far as I can tell it is in good cosmetic condition.

If I do get one I am tempted to actually use it for medium format photography, so I am curious if anybody has any experience with this model. The lens is a Carl Zeiss Tessar (Red T) , 2.8 80mm, coated. Which seems like a great lens to me. (I love my Tessar 50mm)

R

(Edited for accuracy)

Last edited by rudolfkremers on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a great camera.
I'm not an expert on these, but I guess this may be an useful read before you buy http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-buy-a-folder-camera-t36489.html, especially if you have the chance to check it live before buying it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Ikonta and love it, it's a superbly built camera and a pleasure to use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of that Smile

What is your workflow wrt to film processing etc? Outsourced or all diy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikonta 533/16 BII Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
So, I have an opportunity to buy one of these: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22458665@N05/4758422678/ for less than £99

This seems a great price, but I was wondering if there are potential issues I should look out for before committing. Allegedly the light-meter works, and as far as I can tell it is in good cosmetic condition.

If I do get one I am tempted to actually use it for large format photography, so I am curious if anybody has any experience with this model. The lens is a Carl Zeiss Tessar (Red T) , 2.8 80mm, coated. Which seems like a great lens to me. (I love my Tessar 50mm)

R

that is medium format camera 6x6, not large format
if you can check it first hand, then look at the lens , is it clean, then check that the bellows are not torn. try cocking and firing the shutter at all apertures

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikonta 533/16 BII Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

If I do get one I am tempted to actually use it for large format photography, so I am curious if anybody has any experience with this model. The lens is a Carl Zeiss Tessar (Red T) , 2.8 80mm, coated. Which seems like a great lens to me. (I love my Tessar 50mm)

R

that is medium format camera 6x6, not large format
if you can check it first hand, then look at the lens , is it clean, then check that the bellows are not torn. try cocking and firing the shutter at all apertures

Gah, of course. (Fixed original message to reflect that)

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is! (Sorry about smart phone photos)
It seems in very good condition. Can't wait to get started...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks beautiful, congrats!
I love folder camera's, though just for display, never actually used one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Looks beautiful, congrats!
I love folder camera's, though just for display, never actually used one.

I'm gonna give it a go as a portrait camera. It's a perfect focal length and I crave the authenticity of film.
Also, I know a LOT of creative types that would probably react well to being portraited (Yes I made that word up) with it.

I may start a "pay what you want" portrait hobby for my friends. :_)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was finally ready to start using this beauty, only to find I can no longer prime the shutter release button.

I can wind the film spool until it resets after 12. I then move the shutter lock button in position, after which I should be able to advance the film by only 1. It's supposed to click and lock so one has to take a photo before one is able to advance the film again. However I can just keep advancing the spool and the release never locks. I can't press the shutter button down ever!

Anybody know what caused this issue?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You haven't, first take a thorough read on this.
http://www.davidrichert.com/zeiss_super_ikonta_ii_533_16.htm

Erecting the camera and opening the film chamber door may help. I don't have an identical one at hand, but there may be a roller which turns when the film travels over it. No film, no turning.

Nice camera and great lens. These 50+ folders are almost always in need of CL(A). The old grease just isn't what it was then. Of the multitude of folders that have been in my possession, until today, only one was in 100% shape upon arrival, to just load it and start shooting. All others, how clean and great looking otherwise they were, had at least some issues just because of the age factor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I printed that out a while ago and used it to get to know the camera.
Thing is, I could cock the shutter as intended without issues for a while, but suddenly it doesn't work anymore. Rather than the double exposure protection stopping the turning wheel, it keeps just turning and counting up the numbers.

It did work once, after I followed your suggestion, and opened the back to try it with the back open. But since then no go.

Maybe it will work properly with film in it now, but it used to work without film. Also, I have no dummy roll, only non-exposed film, and it seems a bit risky to just try Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were mine, I'd look carefully through those instructions to see what - if anything - needs doing to the camera before loading a film. Then, after making sure sure those instructions have been carefully followed, I'd load a film and proceed as the instructions say. If it works, they great! If it doesn't, it's going to need a trip to a competent repairer and, sad to say, the cost of the film will soon seem very small indeed.

I used to have the 12-on model without the meter, many years ago, and I'm fairly sure it didn't really want to work without a film in it. But the interlock setting was very diffferent to yours.

When you do get to take some pictures with it, you may find the lens isn't particularly sharp or contrasty wide open. I had a 16-on model as well with the 3.5/75 Tessar which certainly gave more sparkling B&W negs. The 12-on model always needed a harder grade of paper. Having said that, it was a much nicer camera to use than the 16-on model . . .

I hope it works okay when you load in film in - good luck !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks, sound advice I think.

I will try that this week, and maybe it's ok.

I suspect the meter is going to be tricky though. For one thing it has no numbered markings at all, just the diamond to align with.
I may need to get a proper light meter and use that instead.

All this is making me pretty interested in buying a good medium or even large format camera that is a bit more user friendly.
I have been going over Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places again and I am just blown away each time.(I think that was a 4x5 though)

I am also pretty curious about Pentacon six, because I like some of the lenses a lot... and it just looks great Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other things to consider.
Check if the self-timer and flash dials are as they should be. Also if there is a T or B selected accidentally or the dial is just 'in-between'.

What You've wrote here, gives me a hint that there might be some intermittent mechanical problems. Try to find someone local familiar with these kind of cameras, better yet if there is an old school clerk still working in some photo-shop. The camera is sometimes mentioned as the 'best' among it's peers. It is well worth an overhaul.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamera wrote:
Some other things to consider.
Check if the self-timer and flash dials are as they should be. Also if there is a T or B selected accidentally or the dial is just 'in-between'.

What You've wrote here, gives me a hint that there might be some intermittent mechanical problems. Try to find someone local familiar with these kind of cameras, better yet if there is an old school clerk still working in some photo-shop. The camera is sometimes mentioned as the 'best' among it's peers. It is well worth an overhaul.

I think I know a local place and will get somebody to look at it. Smile

What do you mean by T or B selected? I don't see any of those marked anywhere...
The self timer seems fine btw...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many leaf shutters one can cock the self-timer only partially and often this prevents any further action before it has been done completely and the shutter released. With T and B I mean the long exposures where you either keep the shutter release pressed or one push opens the shytter and another closes it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamera wrote:
In many leaf shutters one can cock the self-timer only partially and often this prevents any further action before it has been done completely and the shutter released. With T and B I mean the long exposures where you either keep the shutter release pressed or one push opens the shytter and another closes it.

Ok understood. I checked all those things and that wasn't the issue. I suspect it is just old grease etc. and need s a service/repair, so I ordered one.

In other news: I ordered a bunch of Kodak Portra 400 and batteries for my Olympus OM-2 camera.
I am pretty excited Very Happy