Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 6x4.5 quite strange specimen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 6x4.5 quite strange specimen Reply with quote

Recently I have obtained the camera (for something around $21).

It is in the very good shape, and the working order is very good.

Some problems with shutter T, and B speeds (needs cleaning), but the automatic ones works well.

Somebody modified it for the flash synchronization, and added the “cold shoe”, but it was done very accurately. And anyway it is able to be taken away very easily.

First I thought it is kind of Super Ikonta A (or 530).

However, I discovered that it has some diversities from the common model of the class.

First, the inscriptions are quite different. No inscription on the front side of the camera. And the very strange way of inscription on the back.

Second, it has only ONE window for the film numbers (commonly the cameras of 6х4,5 have TWO windows).

Third, the back screw nut on the shutter has two additional slots, which are very helpful in the disassembling, which is very uncommon.

Also, there is absent the stand at the front, which is very common on all models.

In addition the number on the lens (1565070) points to the year 1931. However, the starting year for the Super Ikonta production is indicated for 1932

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ikonta

So, I started to consider, would it possible to be the kind of the preproduction model?

Is anybody able to identify for me the particular specimen?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase!
Sorry I don't have any special knowledge of this camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, maybe a prototype specimen, hard to believe of a fake camera of this model, I have seen a lot of fake Leicas but none of this before.
With a CZJ Tessar in the front, it is hard to believe that bad photos will come,
Congrats, it's a good news that the "public" doesn't felt in love by these foldings yet, there are a lot of interesting samples on the market these days,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else it's missing, which is something of a standard for Super Ikonta models -- that is, unless you've folded it out of the way. And that is the little round window on its extension that sits out at the front of the lens, used for focusing with the rangefinder.

You're right about the inscription on the back -- I've never seen one with that same size font. And I'm also used to seeing 530 or 531 (later ones) impressed into the back leather with regards to Super Ikontas and even Ikontas.

Also, the shutter looks early. It should be a Compur Rapid, but it may have an earlier styled plate differing from the later ones. Might it possibly have an earlier lens, say from a plain Ikonta? This would be one possible answer to your 1931 date.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Something else it's missing, which is something of a standard for Super Ikonta models -- that is, unless you've folded it out of the way. And that is the little round window on its extension that sits out at the front of the lens, used for focusing with the rangefinder.

No, it is present

cooltouch wrote:
Might it possibly have an earlier lens, say from a plain Ikonta? This would be one possible answer to your 1931 date.

It may confirm an idea concerning the preproduction (transitional) model

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
hard to believe of a fake camera of this model,

There had not been any copies of Zeiss Ikon Super Ikontas 4x6.5 rangefinder cameras in the USSR production, which might be used for fakes (like the “Moscow“ copies of 6x9 for example). So, I don’t believe it might be the fake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked Hansz of Zeiss Historia if he'll look at it. His website is here. I'll let you know when he replies

http://www.zeisshistorica.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I've asked Hansz of Zeiss Historia if he'll look at it.

The greatests thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hansz thinks it could be a 'Versuchsmodell' an experimental model or prototype. But unfortunately he will be holidaying in Switzerland for the summer. It may be a couple of weeks before he can get back to me. I'm very interested in this.

I think it's possibly a rare item. Of course after the war, many German camera manufacturers put together odd combinations of prewar and post war parts to sell cameras to make money to re-build the company - it could be one of those. But I'd go with the Versuchsmodell simply because of the back with only one window.

Watch this space.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend asks: "can you ask the guy about the production number - if provided: one letter and 5 digits (max)"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
my friend asks: "can you ask the guy about the production number - if provided: one letter and 5 digits (max)"

No. There isn’t any other number on the body, only the number on the front of the lens - 1565071