Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Novicar 50mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Novicar 50mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Here are some test photos taken with a little Novicar lens. There doesn't seem to be many adapted ones out there. This one isn't adapted yet, it's just placed in front of a m52 helicoid.
It has beautiful triplet rendering. Or is it a tessar?

Taken with a Sony a7. Edited for more contrast.

2#

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

nice job!

I have one question. picture №10! what is the aperture shape of this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

nice job!

I have one question. picture №10! what is the aperture shape of this lens?

Thanks!

2 oddly shaped aperture blades that makes a perfect square at f/11, rectangle at higher numbers, and a four pointed star shape at lower numbers.

Image 10 is f/8 or 5.6, almost square.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

2 oddly shaped aperture blades that makes a perfect square at f/11, rectangle at higher numbers, and a four pointed star shape at lower numbers.

Image 10 is f/8, almost square.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 The variable shape aperture is intriquing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like 1 The variable shape aperture is intriquing.
Indeed. Here is how it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp.
Is it a tessar design?
Very nice results indeed
Tom

PS Edit:
I did a little googling and discovered that it is probably a triplet and from the ZEISS IKON COLORA F camera.
Doesn't matter - it shows a very nice rendering in your images
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very sharp.
Is it a tessar design?
Very nice results indeed
Tom

PS Edit:
I did a little googling and discovered that it is probably a triplet and from the ZEISS IKON COLORA F camera.
Doesn't matter - it shows a very nice rendering in your images
Tom

Thanks!

I removed the lens myself, it had a sticky shutter so it needed fixing anyway. Got a Lanthar 50mm 2.8 and Ektanar 44mm 2.8 the same way. Just need to glue them together with some 42mm rings and they're good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots and nice adaptation. Your images really show off the character of the lens. It will be interesting to compare your results from this lens to the Lanthar and Ektanar - those are definitely triplets.! Also if you want a cheap source for a nice Kodak tessar type, try a Pony IV with the 44/3.5 ANASTAR - it's a decent lens.

Here is an interesting copy of an old ad with info on the lenses for a handful of Kodak cameras that are easy to find and cheap - all of these had serviceable front element focusing lenses:

https://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/camera-3941-Kodak_Pony%20IV.html

-Paul Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Great shots and nice adaptation. Your images really show off the character of the lens. It will be interesting to compare your results from this lens to the Lanthar and Ektanar - those are definitely triplets.! Also if you want a cheap source for a nice Kodak tessar type, try a Pony IV with the 44/3.5 ANASTAR - it's a decent lens.

Here is an interesting copy of an old ad with info on the lenses for a handful of Kodak cameras that are easy to find and cheap - all of these had serviceable front element focusing lenses:

https://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/camera-3941-Kodak_Pony%20IV.html

-Paul Like 1 Like 1

Thank you!
Here is an quick test with the Ektanar alone:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=158051784%40N03&view_all=1&text=ektanar

I'll be looking for those Pony's. I'm always looking for Kodak stuff but even cheap broken ones from the US are around $60 with shipping, taxes and fees. It's quite hard to find them here. But I was able to find a broken Instamatic 814 with an Ektar 38mm 2.8, not sure how to remove it though, it's really well bolted onto the camera Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set of photos with the Ektanar. That is some really wild bokeh. I never saw that in prints taken on the original camera!

-Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely looking examples, congrats!

While a separation of in-focus and OOF areas is not a strong side of triplets, they are capable to create an instinctively simplier, not that "distant" feeling, something that is well shown here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nice set of photos with the Ektanar. That is some really wild bokeh. I never saw that in prints taken on the original camera!

-Paul

Thanks. It was samples on flickr that made me look for one. I don't think the Signet camera can take that level of closeups!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Very nicely looking examples, congrats!

While a separation of in-focus and OOF areas is not a strong side of triplets, they are capable to create an instinctively simplier, not that "distant" feeling, something that is well shown here.

Thank you! I need to get it adapted ASAP.
Yes it's hard to explain, but it is an unique look indeed!

Now I've uploaded a few of the photos in full resolution
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=158051784%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=novicar&view_all=1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Question about disassembly of lens Reply with quote

Hi! Smile

Im new to all this photo adventures and vintage lenses.

i got and old carl zeiss colora camera for 4$ from a thrift shop

how do i get the piece of metal of the lens that not at part of the lens.
do i need special tool. does it screw clock-wise or anti clock-wise.

i hope you can give me some answers Smile

Regards B