Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

Just bought this box camera out of curiosity and also because I wanted to take 6x4.5 photos without spending too much for the camera. Here is the camera. It needs a little cleaning and it is kind of stiff.
On the back are two red windows for counting the 4.5 size photos. I am not sure how to use them so I will have to read up on that. Also I wonder if I should cover the holes while shooting. Any way I bought a roll of film and will
take it out soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is hard to imagine that this is the technology that our parents and grandparents used on special occasions, I have pictures of myself as boy that my dad took nearly 60 years ago which are wonderful. And he was officially the worlds worst photographer! Laughing

I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Windows work thus: wind the film until you see the number 1 in the window nearest the film. Take the photo then wind it on until the no 1 appears in the next window. And so on.

If you use film with a black backing paper it may be hard to see the numbers so be careful. Kodak helpfully had yellow backing paper with black numbers, but all and 120 I bought recently has black paper - dunno about 127.

Keep the windows closed unless you're winding on the film. But having said that I have used cameras without the red window shutters and it doesn't make any difference, the backing paper is designed to be light proof.

I was looking at one of these earlier, in mint condition. But declined because of the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Just bought this box camera out of curiosity and also because I wanted to take 6x4.5 photos without spending too much for the camera. Here is the camera. It needs a little cleaning and it is kind of stiff.

That reminds me on my first trials of photography when my father gave me a Zeiss Tengor "Baby Box" 6x9 camera loaded with B&W film when I was a little boy. We produced only 1:1 contact pictures in the darkened bath room by turning on the light. No enlarger was available, as it would have been far too expensive. Wink

However, it produced pictures in the size of 6x9 and I was very proud of it.....

So actually a monster like this (even bigger) was my first camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Keep the windows closed unless you're winding on the film. But having said that I have used cameras without the red window shutters and it doesn't make any difference, the backing paper is designed to be light proof.

I'm out of date and out of touch with modern roll films, but I remember when we we did indeed get fogging through (and round) backing papers using fast films ( ISO 400) in bright light . . . maybe the light was brighter back in the 1950s and 60s Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
The two Windows work thus: wind the film until you see the number 1 in the window nearest the film. Take the photo then wind it on until the no 1 appears in the next window. And so on.

If you use film with a black backing paper it may be hard to see the numbers so be careful. Kodak helpfully had yellow backing paper with black numbers, but all and 120 I bought recently has black paper - dunno about 127.

I was looking at one of these earlier, in mint condition. But declined because of the price.

Thanks for the advice. Now I found a problem with this camera. The film advance does not grab the film
spool because it is round and does not grab the spool. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

That reminds me on my first trials of photography when my father gave me a Zeiss Tengor "Baby Box" 6x9 camera loaded with B&W film when I was a little boy. We produced only 1:1 contact pictures in the darkened bath room by turning on the light. No enlarger was available, as it would have been far too expensive. Wink

However, it produced pictures in the size of 6x9 and I was very proud of it.....

So actually a monster like this (even bigger) was my first camera.

Thank you for the history. That larger size Tengor is quite a bit bigger so it must have been something for you to shot with. The camera I have is a very good size and comfortable to use. Much lighter and smaller than most 6x4.5
cameras besides folding ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

That larger size Tengor is quite a bit bigger so it must have been something for you to shot with.

It certainly was.

I must ask my mother whether a picture still exists which is showing me with the Tengor or the Tengor with me. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

That larger size Tengor is quite a bit bigger so it must have been something for you to shot with.

It certainly was.
I must ask my mother whether a picture still exists which is showing me with the Tengor or the Tengor with me. Wink

That would interesting to see. Smile

I kind of solved the problem with my camera. There was a pin that fit in this hole that would catch the
film spool. So I only need to find a replacement for it and fasten it in. I am thinking a piece of a nail would work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
I am thinking a piece of a nail would work.

I am rather sure. Just insert the shortened nail and fix it with super glue. Should be good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54...6x4.5 Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:
I am thinking a piece of a nail would work.

I am rather sure. Just insert the shortened nail and fix it with super glue. Should be good enough.

That's what I thought, too. Glad to have you confirm it. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one with the lens with some fungus near the border.

Do the tungus make any effects in the image of 6 x 9?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using 100 ISO B&W film. On hopefully a sunny day. The shutter speed is about 1/30 of a second.
Aperture is 11 or 22. Any suggestions for aperture? Thanks anyone.