Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon A-G Dresden Kinostar 12cm Series III
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon A-G Dresden Kinostar 12cm Series III Reply with quote

I've had this for a while now, bought it originally to resell but there are some separation bubbles in the front element around the edges so I'm keeping it.

So what I've been thinking of doing is converting it to use as a tilt/shift lens but I'd like to know if it will be worth it. not much info that I've been able to find other than it might be a petzval designed projector lens.

there is no indicator as to what speed it is either that I can see anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a speed around f/2.0 or a bit darker.
Petzval lenses have normally small image circles - so not very good to make a tilt/shift lens - as long as sharp images are wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its quite a big lens 10cm from top to bottom and by looking at the image circle it seems to be around 7-8cm wide with a registration distance of 6cm,

I was thinking its enough room to play around with to make an adapter using a car CV rubber boot and some legs from a generic gorilla tripod stand for MFT.

thanks for the speed guess I reckon you may be right looking at the size of the glass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 about F2.0 don't make any mods rare item , don't ruin it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a Petzval. Could be some sort of double gauss.
If it has an image circle as said, this could cover 6x6 and possibly be mounted on a 645 camera or a Speed Graphic.
Would likely make a very interesting portrait lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
+1 about F2.0 don't make any mods rare item , don't ruin it

lol I wouldn't dream of it, even if I am more of the rip the camera apart type of person, always good to hear something is rare!!Smile

Luis I'd did have to take it apart to clean out the elements, the front has 2 elements bonded together and the back has 2 elements but they are separate from one another if that helps determine the lens type.

I can also take pictures of them, its quite easy to disassemble.

Last edited by Layer-cake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at this schematic it would say its closer to a petzval design than the others.

if you look at the lens on the far right mine has a more flattened surface on the lens facing out and. the second lens is a bit more convex, the group on the left is pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather Petzval, not Double Gauss, the latter was used for the Visionars, not earlier from my docs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
its quite a big lens 10cm from top to bottom and by looking at the image circle it seems to be around 7-8cm wide with a registration distance of 6cm,

Sorry, I have not written it exact enough: Small sharp image circle. Image field curvature which is one reason for small sharp image circle could probably be not a big problem for a tilt lens. But I still doubt it would be useful as a tilt lens for 24x36 or crop 1.6 sensors. Probably for crop 2 or more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i see your point, I was thinking it could give the pics a petzvalish type effect with the right angles being used.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12cm Petzval may, depending on the degree of field curvature, show an effect on a 35mm or APS-C format.
There were some Russian projection lenses shown here that do have such intense curvature and give a recognizable Petzval effect on digital.

Petzvals are sharp in the center - big deal, who wants that. We want sufficiently fuzzy edges away from the center for "the look".

Its more likely that that thing, if a Petzval , will give you its maximum Petzval quality on a format closer to its maximum coverage, which would be about 6x6.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks luis, that puts it into a good perspective for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for information related of Kinostar 10cm ,but cannot find any pictures taken with this lens, is it a triplet or not? The pictures that have been posted before , are not available anymore,do you guys have this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pretty good Facebook page where the guys do loads of conversions to these projector lenses.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161767920526039/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also see kodak retinar s-av 150mm 2.8 bgoing very cheap, but cannot see any pictures taken with this lens adapted
thank you for the link, amazing shots definteley