Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss flektogon, different versions - A/M switch
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Zeiss flektogon, different versions - A/M switch Reply with quote

Hi, I have a question:

the different types of Zeiss lenses are listed here, by attila: http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/15/29/

I'm still looking around on ebay for a good deal on a 35mm flektogon M42.

I was wondering, I didnt see a Auto/Manual switch on any of the zebra finish 35mm's, does it have one?

If not, then I can take these off my watched items list...

Thanks,

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have a push button to close aperture blades manually with you fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attile is right but it's embarrassing so you have to block somehow that so called switch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like more than switch , if in right position more pleasant to use than switch, because you can get right focus at wide open and need to keep pushed only for exposure time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like more than switch , if in right position more pleasant to use than switch, because you can get right focus at wide open and need to keep pushed only for exposure time.

You have to build discipline though, and be focused. That is, always remember to push.
Else you end up shooting a lot of wide open pictures thinking that you have done stopped down.
It happened to me a lot of times Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me too Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, exactly what I needed to know Smile

thanks guys!

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zebra Flek for sale if you are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I have a zebra Flek for sale if you are interested.

A 4/20?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ TDN: I don't know if this is a consideration or not, but of the two Flek 35 variants - earlier 2.8 and later 2.4, only the 2.4 can be used on a 5D without hitting the mirror. I can verify myself that the 2.4 does not foul the 5D's mirror.

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html

I removed the stop-down button on one of my M42 Flek 4/20s to make it totally manual - very easy to do, hardly noticeable and completely reversible.

@ Orio: Something else I noticed was that if the pivot pin for the stop-down button was loose, the resulting sloppiness in the mechanics caused the aperture blades to stick or be sluggish.

Might be worth a look since I believe you had this problem with some of your Fleks....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

@ Orio: Something else I noticed was that if the pivot pin for the stop-down button was loose, the resulting sloppiness in the mechanics caused the aperture blades to stick or be sluggish.
Might be worth a look since I believe you had this problem with some of your Fleks....

Thanks, yes the black one has this problem. But I am not going to try to open it to fix it. Sooner or later I will send it to the service.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio: All you need to do to check this is lay the lens face down on a flat surface - remember the cap... Remove the two screws that secure the rear cover on the lens and lift it off - you should then see the stop-down mechanism.

All you do now is locate the pivot pin which also doubles as a mounting point for the rear cover and ensure it's tight - do the same for the other cover mounting point which also doubles as a tension spring locating pin.

If that then fixes the sticky aperture, why pay someone to do something that you can do yourself in two minutes?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
e, why pay someone to do something that you can do yourself in two minutes?

Because I may screw up a great lens completely? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ TDN: I don't know if this is a consideration or not, but of the two Flek 35 variants - earlier 2.8 and later 2.4, only the 2.4 can be used on a 5D without hitting the mirror. I can verify myself that the 2.4 does not foul the 5D's mirror.

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html.

ow! I did not know that! Is this problem limited to the (larger) 5D mirror, or does it persist on crop cameras aswell?

I wouldn't want to ru?n my pentax *ist DL by hitting the mirror with that pin...

Maybe Bob can shed some light on this...

@Bob: yes, i saw it in the marketplace, but I just spent about 70 euros on a Tamron 60-300 with adapter, and can't squeeze out another 50 pounds Rolling Eyes So, sorry, but I'll have to pass...
I'm more just hoping for a lucky ebay strike...and it isn't urgent or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:

ow! I did not know that! Is this problem limited to the (larger) 5D mirror, or does it persist on crop cameras aswell?
I wouldn't want to ru?n my pentax *ist DL by hitting the mirror with that pin...

It's a problem with the 5D mirror, and not all of them either.
The crop cameras are safe. I know for sure because I mounted the MIR-1V on my 400D without a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because I may screw up a great lens completely?

I understand Orio - sometimes it's better to leave well alone if one doesn't feel confident about the task. I have an electronics and mechanical background, and I tend to forget sometimes that others may not be so fortunate.

@ TDN: Like Orio says, and I should have expanded on it myself, crop cams are OK as the mirror is smaller. I believe the problem with the 5D's mirror is not just that it's bigger, but that it also moves forward towards the lens as it flips up.

It seems that for some lenses - in particular some Leicas I think - Orio may be able to confirm/deny this, you can have a situation where a given lens will foul one 5D's mirror, but not another's.

Generally speaking, for M42 lenses it's not the stop-down pin that the mirror contacts, but the rear of the lens itself when the lens is set at infinity - some lenses extend into the mirror box at infinity, but retract as you focus closer.

But since you have a Pentax, all this is academic.