Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

zeiss distagon 35mm f1.4 flaring very bad
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: zeiss distagon 35mm f1.4 flaring very bad Reply with quote

Hello

I buy a contax zeiss distagon 35mm f1.4 few weeks ago and send to repair shop to re grease the helicoid (was very hard).
I didn't test it before but now it flare very bad in direct light with a very big blue/green halo :

another test with vivitar 24mm and olympus 35mm f2.8

Maybe the repaire shop don't mount the lens correctly (specialy the floating front element)

What did you think please ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a sensor reflection to me. I don't know if there is more than one version of the C/Y Distagon 35/1.4, I'm assuming it's this one:

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/distagon1-4_35mm_e.pdf

Maybe the repair shop monted the rear element the wrong way around. Looking at the lens diagram, that could certainly cause some sensor reflections.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the rear element, it is well mounted.
I can see clearly that the front element was unscrewed. It is a floating element so maybe the distance after the repare was bigger/smaller than the orignal and create this flare. i remember getting this kind of flare with UV filter in the night.
But the sharpness is good wide open so i don't know.

Maybe the T* coating is not so good ( i can't see coating on the lens in fact like i get on other brand )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare. The coated of Zeiss may be the best or among them

Can be useful some pics of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably no coating left Sad you never know a valuable lens how polished Sad and this lens has big front element , probably more sensitive to flair than others.
Say thank you to those idiots who count every small mark , and may somebody polished front lens to keep value of lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see coating like on other brand tell me too lens is missing coating.

May coated uv filter help with flare.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Can't see coating like on other brand tell me too lens is missing coating.

May coated uv filter help with flare.

Quality filter is excellent idea Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the UV coated advice, i will look about it. can you recommand and affordable one ? ( i get the lens for 100e + 80e for re greas it)

the front element is cristal clear. I can't get any color in the reflexion like my other lenses.
What the T* color is ?

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 euro for it! Rolling Eyes
Maybe that's why it cost you so cheap?
It's worth 1000$ Smile

According to the photo front element is clearly without coating Sad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i know i get it bargain Wink It cost me 200e at all but if it flare cray in low light i can't use it in night like this.

i'm going to try a coated UV in this 2 days, I will update the resuslt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch Smile How about flare at the daylight? Does it flare on sunlight so much as it does at night?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you how it flare on sun when the sun show itself Wink ( it is cloudy/raining since few days )

some shoots in day light but undear a tree

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114394093@N05/28490630843/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114394093@N05/28490631023/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114394093@N05/29076748396/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114394093@N05/29076748346/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114394093@N05/28490632063/in/dateposted-public/

I notice that sharpness at close distance is lower than in far distance

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Like 1 small
Any examples wide open? Just curious how is the sharpness at f/1.4 Smile)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

Your outdoor baby shots look nice and sharp and contrasty. The lens itself looks coated to me - I see some color in the reflections, although they could be digital artifacts, I suppose. The photo of the lens looks very similar to my T* 50mm f/1.4 Contax in MM mount.

My assumption is that you are using this lens on an adapter mounted to a digital camera. In any case I had a similar problem with my Leica R lenses when I mounted them to my A7II via a cheap Contax->Sony E adapter. I got the same kind of "flare", but only with strong light sources directed right at the lens. It was evident on all the lenses I mounted to the Sony using that adapter. The issue was that the inside of the adapter in question was painted with shiny black paint. I lined the inside of the adapter with gaffers tape and the problem went away. I then replaced the adapter with a better flocked model. Just one other thing to check.

Best of luck,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

Your outdoor baby shots like nice and sharp and contrasty. The lens itself looks coated to me - I see some color in the reflections, although they could be digital artifacts, I suppose. The photo of the lens looks very similar to my T* 50mm f/1.4 Contax in MM mount.

My assumption is that you are using this lens on an adapter mounted to a digital camera. In any case I had a similar problem with my Leica R lenses when I mounted them to my A7II via a cheap Contax->Sony E adapter. I got the same kind of "flare", but only with strong light sources directed right at the lens. It was evident on all the lenses I mounted to the Sony using that adapter. The issue was that the inside of the adapter in question was painted with shiny black paint. I lined the inside of the adapter with gaffers tape and the problem went away. I then replaced the adapter with a better flocked model. Just one other thing to check.

Best of luck,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
The lens itself looks coated to me - I see some color in the reflections, although they could be digital artifacts, I suppose.

Good point, but I think it is technically feasible to make a coating that produces a virtually neutral (colorless) reflection. This seems to be the case of my lens Pentax Super Takumar 300mm F4. I bought this lens second-hand many years ago. Reflections on some surfaces are virtually colorless, what led me to think at first that the coatings could have been removed by some bad cleaning by the previous owner. However, a comparison of the intensity of the reflections to that of an uncoated filter (Toshiba!) shows that the Takumar's coatings are intact. Indeed, the reflections by the Takumar glass surfaces are considerably weaker (better) than the reflections by the uncoated filter, as you can notice in the picture below. In the end, what counts to the efficiency of a coating is the low intensity, not the color of the reflection.
[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
HI,

Your outdoor baby shots like nice and sharp and contrasty. The lens itself looks coated to me - I see some color in the reflections, although they could be digital artifacts, I suppose. The photo of the lens looks very similar to my T* 50mm f/1.4 Contax in MM mount.

Best of luck,

Paul

thanks for the tips. I wished very strong you are right but the adapter is good. it make this flare only with this lens unfortunatly. With others lenses when it flare the flare is "wide and soft" , with this lens it is "small but very strong".

Difference between this lens and the PC distagon :

I buy a Hoya UV multi coated filter but it make it worse Laugh 1 ! I tried. No big deal.[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
I buy a Hoya UV multi coated filter but it make it worse.

Not a big surprise. A filter, multicoated or not, only increases propensity to flare.
Realisticaly speaking, I think you have the following options:

1) Accept some flare under certain conditions
2) Replace the front element (if you can find one for sale)
3) Recoat the front element (if you find an optical shop to do this kind of service)
4) Cement a multicoated filter (only the glass without the ring) on the front element (assuming the front element is flat)

Note: A temporary and experimental solution is to "glue" a multicoated filter on the front element using oil, as astronomers do in oil-spaced achromatic doublets:
http://users.belgacom.net/astronomy/other.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
thebbm wrote:
I buy a Hoya UV multi coated filter but it make it worse.

Not a big surprise. A filter, multicoated or not, only increases propensity to flare.
Realisticaly speaking, I think you have the following options:

1) Accept some flare under certain conditions
2) Replace the front element (if you can find one for sale)
3) Recoat the front element (if you find an optical shop to do this kind of service)
4) Cement a multicoated filter (only the glass without the ring) on the front element (assuming the front element is flat)

Note: A temporary and experimental solution is to "glue" a multicoated filter on the front element using oil, as astronomers do in oil-spaced achromatic doublets:
http://users.belgacom.net/astronomy/other.html

5) sell it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep it like this. No way to glue a filter on it Wink

I buy it to sell it but now i don't know how much i can sell it. if the coating was good i can sell it for 700euros. what did you think ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the "coating question" still seems unresolved, why not send the lens to Zeiss in Germany and ask for their opinion of how the lens performs? If they say "Yes, this is normal for this lens" you can either use it and accept its characteristics or sell it with an easy mind.

If they say the coating has been removed, then you can either keep it or sell it "as seen" with the problem declared. You'll probably still make a profit on the price you paid for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the front element has been polished too. Check the link below.

http://lens-cla.blogspot.com/2013/08/contax-carl-zeiss-distagon-35mm-f14-t.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Chinese people Twisted Evil

In my opinion, even with those scratches on the first image - lens should perform well. Even despite of some contrast loss etc.
So this polishing is useless since coating will be fully removed...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_KS wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

In my opinion, even with those scratches on the first image - lens should perform well. Even despite of some contrast loss etc.

This has happened inside every large population. China, Ukraine, EU, Russia, and with perhaps the most instances, US. I laughed at the joke, as Ukraine is well known for this -- for Ukraine person to grill Chinese people can not be other than funny joke, yes? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
alex_KS wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

This has happened inside every large population. China, Ukraine, EU, Russia, and with perhaps the most instances, US. I laughed at the joke, as Ukraine is well known for this -- for Ukraine person to grill Chinese people can not be other than funny joke, yes? Laughing

I'll be honest - I met few people here, who offer such kind of "service". I mean polishing and making new coating.
Most of them had worked at Arsenal Factory in Kiev, so there is some equipment which allow to do that.

But in my opinion - after such operations - lens loss it's beauty. Escpecially old Zeiss lenses with T* coating.