Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Contax 85/1.4, bucketloads of contrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Contax 85/1.4, bucketloads of contrast Reply with quote

Lately acquired a Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and apart from it's beautiful handling and the blazing fast speed the first thing that struck me was the amount of contrast. I've had two fast 85's before, a Minolta MD 1.7 and a Canon FD 1.8. Both were very nice performers (The canon being more practical bc it's tiny but the Minolta had waaay better Bokeh) and they both didn't have the amounts of contrast at f4 that this Zeiss delivers at f2.

To be honest I've even found it to be nearly too much, it gives pictures taken in harsh daylight a very modern look. Sometimes that's what i want, sometimes not. Certainly not as "smooth" as the Minolta rendered. Luckily this is no problem to tone down in Lightroom, plus the "pop" and rendering in softer light makes up for it.

Here are some pic's I took recently, from a portrait shoot and a local outdoor concert. They are all edited to taste.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly due to the T* coating. Careful, you'll get addicted to it and have to buy more Zeiss T* glass.... Smile

If you want to also have a vintage looking less contrasty 85, look for a Russian Jupiter-9 2/85, copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 2/85, it's a bit soft at f2, sharpens up closed one stop, but has a beautiful rendering and buttery smooth bokeh. Best of all, they can be found dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss TT* IS A SEVENTY PLUS YEAR OLD COATING. B ZEISS ZEISS NEEDS SOME NEW MARKETING FOLKS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Zeiss TT* IS A SEVENTY PLUS YEAR OLD COATING. B ZEISS ZEISS NEEDS SOME NEW MARKETING FOLKS.

Anything featuring that elusive little red t* sells like crazy.... so I don't think that they need new marketing Wink

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's mostly due to the T* coating. Careful, you'll get addicted to it and have to buy more Zeiss T* glass.... Smile

If you want to also have a vintage looking less contrasty 85, look for a Russian Jupiter-9 2/85, copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 2/85, it's a bit soft at f2, sharpens up closed one stop, but has a beautiful rendering and buttery smooth bokeh. Best of all, they can be found dirt cheap

Well too late for that. Already got 5 Wink
And yeah I'm not actively searching for it but I'd take a Jupiter in M39 mount for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T* was introduced in the late 70s, which is nowhere near 70 years ago.

Furthermore, the * coatings have continually evolved and been enhanced countless times, so they are still state of the art.

So no, Zeiss don't need to change the T* name anymore than they need to change the Zeiss name itself.