Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ys mount adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: ys mount adapters Reply with quote

Is there a list of all Sigma ys mount adapters.
For which camara mounts are there ys mounts made?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome pinkf (is that pink floyd?)

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-ys-interchangeable-auto-mount-booklet-t32619.html

and

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/y-s_mount/ys.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a variant of YS mount not specifically mentioned in those YS brochures, it is for the Exakta external bayonet, used by larger lenses. Back when I knew even less about cameras I bought it, not examining the pictures correctly, unaware there was more than one type of Exakta mount. Exakta adapters for Nex cameras can't mount the external bayonet, at least not the ones I've seen - so it sits in a drawer at home, waiting for if I ever buy an Exakta film camera.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I have a variant of YS mount not specifically mentioned in those YS brochures, it is for the Exakta external bayonet, used by larger lenses. Back when I knew even less about cameras I bought it, not examining the pictures correctly, unaware there was more than one type of Exakta mount. Exakta adapters for Nex cameras can't mount the external bayonet, at least not the ones I've seen - so it sits in a drawer at home, waiting for if I ever buy an Exakta film camera.

The external Exakta mount can only be used on a few models of Exakta and Exa cameras, so before you buy one for that make sure it accepts external mount lenses!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: list of YS adapters Reply with quote

I already know the 2 sources mentioned above, but they are incomplete.

I have the Sigma f3.2 18 mm widerama lens with YS mount for Olympus OM.
However, that YS to OM adapter is not mentioned in these 2 sources.

That is why I am interested in a list of all YS adapters ever made for all different photo cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: ys mount adapters Reply with quote

pinkf wrote:
. . .

I don't know. But if not, we could try to make one here.

In addition to the mounts listed in the booklet visualopsins linked to and Alun Thomas' Exakta external, I have YS adapters for Olympus OM and Pentax K mounts. (Edit: And I now see pinkf also has an Olympus adapter.)
[Edit: Added Contax / Yashica to the list.]

So here's a tentative list (has been updated):

Canon FL; FD/FTb
Contax/Yashica
Exakta Exa; RTL; Twin TL; external bayonet
Konica AR
Leciaflex SL
M42; (Pentax) ES
Mamiya Auto XTL
Minolta SR/MC; SR/MD
Miranda bayonet; DX-3
Nikon F; F/AI
Olympus OM
Pentax K bayonet
Petri bayonet
Prakticar LLC (electric M42)
Zeiss Icarex bayonet

Accessories:
extension tubes
2X teleconverter

Does anyone have any corrections or additions?

Last edited by 55 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:09 am; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: ys mount adapters Reply with quote

55 wrote:
pinkf wrote:
. . .

I don't know. But if not, we could try to make one here.

In addition to the mounts listed in the booklet visualopsins linked to and Alun Thomas' Exakta external, I have YS adapters for Olympus OM and Pentax K mounts. (Edit: And I now see pinkf also has an Olympus adapter.)
So here's a tentative list:

Canon FL, FD
Exakta Exa, RTL, Twin TL, external bayonet
Konica AR
Leica R
M42
Minolta SR
Miranda bayonet
Nikon F
Olympus OM
Pentax ES (M42 with open aperture metering - I think?)
Pentax K bayonet
Petri bayonet

Does anyone have any corrections or additions?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: ys mount adapters Reply with quote

pinkf wrote:

Thanks!!!

You're welcome. I just added Contax / Yashica to the list after seeing an adapter on ebay.

And can someone help with a Konica question? I've read that the first Konica SLR used their "F" bayonet mount (not the same as Nikon's mount). There's an ebay listing for a "KF" YS adapter for Konica F.
Is this KF adapter actually different from Konica AR?

Click here to see on Ebay

Edit: heritagecameras has answered the question below.

Last edited by 55 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info.

Look at http://oldlenses.blogspot.com/2010/05/sigmayamaki-system-ys-mount.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the distant past I had an Accura version. A 35mm f2.8 I believe. It had an A-M dial on the lens not the adapter. I used it with a T-mount adapter as a preset lens. Certainly a simple, problem free alternative with digital cameras.

Good luck with your research.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkf wrote:
Interesting info.

Look at http://oldlenses.blogspot.com/2010/05/sigmayamaki-system-ys-mount.html

Thanks for the link. So there were different generations for some adapters to allow for open aperture metering, etc. That makes sense. I've made some additions to the list in my first post.

There's some insight to the development of the YS mount here:
https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/who-made-spiratone-ys-lenses.368622/

That thread contains a post from jonathan_spira. From what I've read, Mr. Spira is the son of the founder of Spiratone. So his information is probably as reliable as anyone's. Here's an excerpt from his post:
"Re YS, the Y stands for Yamaki (head of Sigma) - the S stands for Spira."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
In the distant past I had an Accura version. A 35mm f2.8 I believe. It had an A-M dial on the lens not the adapter. I used it with a T-mount adapter as a preset lens. Certainly a simple, problem free alternative with digital cameras. . .

Same here. Most of my YS mount lenses have T adapters on them. The only time I take advantage of the auto capabilities of the YS adapters is when I use my Pentax K adapter on my Pentax DSLRs.

This is from a circa mid 1970s Sigma brochure:

Hmmm. "It has in fifteen years proven to be..."? I doubt the YS was 15 years old when that was written?
More likely that's a reference to the T mount?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-mount

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

The external Exakta mount can only be used on a few models of Exakta and Exa cameras, so before you buy one for that make sure it accepts external mount lenses!

True, and, to be honest, you wouldn't really get an Exakta camera to mount crappy 1970s lenses on it anyway, a more proper use is to mount and use all the much more beautiful 50s to early 60s lenses made for that mount. A definite part of the enjoyment on my part is the haptics and aesthetics of lenses from that era.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

What is the Exakta external bayonet? I have a Rokunar 28mm f/2.8 which has a YS-KE mount. I know Rokunar has YS mount lenses (similar to Accura) and I thought I have the Exakta-Nex adapter. But the KE mount (Kine Exakta) lens is not the same as my regular Exakta lenses. Luckily I have a T2-nex adapter so that will work anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Prakticar LLC to the list (M42 with electrical contacts).

Click here to see on Ebay

Here's the updated list:

Canon FL; FD/FTb
Contax/Yashica
Konica AR
Leciaflex SL
M42; (Pentax) ES
Mamiya Auto XTL
Minolta SR/MC; SR/MD
Miranda bayonet; DX-3
Nikon F; F/AI
Olympus OM
Pentax K bayonet
Petri bayonet
Zeiss Icarex bayonet

Accessories:
extension tubes
2X teleconverter

Last edited by 55 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:15 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your YS mounts list!

I saw an YS-IK adapter. Thats for Zeiss Icarex.

Look at https://picclick.de/Voigtl%C3%A4nder-Zeiss-Ikon-Icarex-35-S-SLR-Foto-Kamera-303132495430.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkf wrote:
Thanks for your YS mounts list!

I saw an YS-IK adapter. Thats for Zeiss Icarex.

You're welcome. Smile
This is mflenses geekery at its best! Wink

I was hoping there was an Icarex YS. I'll add it to the list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: ES adapter light leak Reply with quote

My Sigma XQ 100mm f/2.8 came to me with a YS ES adapter attached. ES is for Pentax (and other?) M42 cameras with open aperture metering capability.

While shooting with the Sigma on my Sony A7ii recently, I discovered my ES adapter has a significant light leak. There's a slit on the adapter through which some of the metering hardware travels. And it's that slit which can allow unwanted light to enter.

In the second photo I put a flashlight inside the rear of the lens to show the issue.
And here's an example of flare from the leak:

Perhaps there are creative possibilities? Smile

Luckily, a plain T or T2 adapter will work fine on the lens when used with my digital cameras - and no leaks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have just started a entire "film look" war amongst the cinematographers seeking there ever different differences!

Quick, samples in an ebay add and add 500% to the sale price Razz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more YS mounts to add to the list (either ones we've had in stock or seen online):

Canon FTb (subset of FD features only)
Leicaflex SL (twin cam)
Mamiya Auto XTL (has auto setting)
Miranda DX-3 (equivalent to EC lenses)
Extension Tubes (sold by Sigma)

Clarifications and/or Queries
The KF mount referred to as Konica F is (I believe) the earlier AR version matched and factory-fitted to lenses (it has an EE setting).
The earlier Miranda version I seem to remember has the large external arm for metering on Automex and Sensorex cameras.
Sigma had a later range of IC lenses and mounts which had internal meter coupling instead of external (not backwards compatible).
New IC mounts included Fujica ST901 (full aperture metering) and Rolleiflex SL35 (has aperture scale so presumably QBM II).
Is the Leica R mount mentioned actually the Leicaflex SL one? Was there really a three (or third) cam version?
Why was there never a YS mount for Topcon RE? The era seems right, but I've found no evidence of one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heritagecameras wrote:
Here's some more YS mounts to add to the list (either ones we've had in stock or seen online):

Canon FTb (subset of FD features only)
Leicaflex SL (twin cam)
Mamiya Auto XTL (has auto setting)
Miranda DX-3 (equivalent to EC lenses)
Extension Tubes (sold by Sigma)
. . .

Thank you for the additions and corrections, heritagecameras!

So the Miranda DX-3 was a modification of an earlier Miranda bayonet? If I change the Miranda listing to "Miranda bayonet; DX-3", does that make sense?

heritagecameras wrote:
Clarifications and/or Queries
The KF mount referred to as Konica F is (I believe) the earlier AR version matched and factory-fitted to lenses (it has an EE setting).

Yes, I think you're right.

heritagecameras wrote:
Is the Leica R mount mentioned actually the Leicaflex SL one? ...

Yes, I think you're correct again. The YS booklet visualopsins linked to earlier mentions "Leciaflex SL", but not "R".

Here's the updated YS adapter listing:

Canon FL; FD/FTb
Contax/Yashica
Konica AR
Leciaflex SL
M42; (Pentax) ES
Mamiya Auto XTL
Minolta SR/MC; SR/MD
Miranda bayonet; DX-3
Nikon F; F/AI
Olympus OM
Pentax K bayonet
Petri bayonet
Zeiss Icarex bayonet

Accessories:
extension tubes
2X teleconverter

Again, any corrections or suggestions are welcomed.