Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your experience with Pentacon 6 mount lenses on M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Your experience with Pentacon 6 mount lenses on M42? Reply with quote

I am certainly considering mounting some medium format Russian and Zeiss glass on the Revuenon M42.

I see there is an adapter available (rather chunky, almost like an extension tube!)

I would like to know if any of you have had experience with the adapter, and how your lenses performed. I'm assuming the performance should be good, since the 35mm would use only the center portion of the glass.

Perhaps it would be awkward to use these heavy lenses? Should I just stick with the 35mm format for lenses on the M42 camera?

Here's the Pentax 645 and the cadre of lenses that might be nice to use.

Top: Sonnar 180 (older leather-ring model)
Top Left: Pentacon 6 to Pentax 645 adapter
Underneath the adapter is the Vega 28B 120/2.8 (not visible)
Middle: K6B 2x teleconverter
Bottom Left: In the case is the Vega 12B 90/2.8
Bottom Middle: Pentax 75/2.8
Bottom Right (Red leather case): Flektogon 50/4
Bottom Far Right: Extension tubes

Here's the Sonnar 180/2.8 on the P645:

Here's the Flek 50/4 on the P645:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Your experience with Pentacon 6 mount lenses on M42? Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I am certainly considering mounting some medium format Russian and Zeiss glass on the Revuenon M42.

You definitely should! Otherwise you will miss some good lenses.

Quote:
I see there is an adapter available (rather chunky, almost like an extension tube!)

Well, it is an extension tube Very Happy You need the extension in order to reach the correct register distance.

Quote:
I would like to know if any of you have had experience with the adapter, and how your lenses performed. I'm assuming the performance should be good, since the 35mm would use only the center portion of the glass.

I use it it's one year now and the lenses perform great. However, you will not notice a resolution improvement compared to the best brands of normal lenses, because the resolution of medium format lenses is not as "pushed" as the one of 135 format lenses.
You will, however, notice definite improvements in other areas of the image, that is, less CA, less edge definition loss, atc, all those factors that are associated with the edge of glass and that you already and correctly have already mentioned speaking about the "sweet spot" of the glass.

Quote:
Perhaps it would be awkward to use these heavy lenses?

Well the Sonnar 300mm will be a bit awkward, but so will be any comparable lens for the 135 format, so you will not notice a big difference, the normal lenses are a bit bigger than their 135 format equivalents, but that's about it.

Quote:
Should I just stick with the 35mm format for lenses on the M42 camera?

I can not see a reason why to limit yourself, except money Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest all P6 lenses except the wide angle ones (no reason to use them on M42 , on M42 system they are not wide angle any more)

I have lot of CZJ P6 lenses all are top quality lenses, because they have long register distance you can get infinity focus on all 35mm system including Nikon etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tested any P6 lenses on M42, but I've tested a Flektogon 4/50 on the full-frame 5D. My test photos ought to give you a reasonably good idea of the performance, c.f http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50.html . It is slightly soft at the edges but still usable, the center is quite OK, and the overall character might be a little bit different compared to a "normal" 50 mm lens. It certainly looks very impressive on a dSLR, e.g. on a 350D: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_flektogon50_files/flek50_d.jpg

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
I haven't tested any P6 lenses on M42, but I've tested a Flektogon 4/50 on the full-frame 5D. My test photos ought to give you a reasonably good idea of the performance, c.f http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50.html . It is slightly soft at the edges but still usable, the center is quite OK, and the overall character might be a little bit different compared to a "normal" 50 mm lens. It certainly looks very impressive on a dSLR, e.g. on a 350D: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_flektogon50_files/flek50_d.jpg

Veijo

Thank you Attila, you know I didn't even think of the fact that there is a "crop factor" using P6 on M42! I appreciate the knowledge.

Veijo, thanks for the representative samples. I agree that the lens is not looking all that sharp in resolution; also seems a little "cold" in coloration. Big-time falloff in resolution at edges. The sharpened image looks very nice though, and for that reason I'm certainly going to hook it up and give it a whirl!

Thanks again all for the replies. I appreciate that you took the time to assist me.

Laurence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I didn't even think of the fact that there is a "crop factor" using P6 on M42! I appreciate the knowledge.

There isn't a crop factor in the sense we are used to thinking about it. A P6 50 mm lens on M42 has the same FOV as an M42 50 mm lens, but on the 6x6 P6 the 50 mm lens is a wide angle lens, not a "normal" lens as it is on M42 - there is cropping only relative to the P6 FOV. However, if you mount the Flek 4/50 on a 350D, you'll have to think about cropping, but the cropping will, of course, be the same as when you mount an M42 1.4/50 SMC Takumar.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Laurence wrote:
I didn't even think of the fact that there is a "crop factor" using P6 on M42! I appreciate the knowledge.

There isn't a crop factor in the sense we are used to thinking about it. A P6 50 mm lens on M42 has the same FOV as an M42 50 mm lens, but on the 6x6 P6 the 50 mm lens is a wide angle lens, not a "normal" lens as it is on M42 - there is cropping only relative to the P6 FOV. However, if you mount the Flek 4/50 on a 350D, you'll have to think about cropping, but the cropping will, of course, be the same as when you mount an M42 1.4/50 SMC Takumar.

Veijo

Yes, exactly, Veijo. That is why I put "quote marks" around the words ''crop factor"... because it is a "crop" only relative to the difference between the fields of view. Smile