Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your best 28..and how you got there :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eawhead: FYI, when I crop my image 100% I get an area about 25% the size that you did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb discussion

Since we have experienced shooters weighing in, maybe we should add: what's the OLDEST 28 you have shot?

I love this:

"When the first 28mm lenses came out for the Leica and Contax in the 1930s, they were regarded as ultra-wide and were condemned by traditionalists for their 'violent perspective'. Another common comment was, "Very few people need a lens this wide, and even fewer can use it successfully."

from
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/reviews%2018%20zeiss.html

Who has a pre war leitz hektor?
here is a what they look like
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17916504@N06/4033901637/
any samples?

And zeiss counterpart:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Contax_RF/ContaxRF28f8_tessar.htm

Jeez they were so small!

The wonderfull FF samples with very shallow DOF posted early in the thread bring home the fact we are are talking about 2 lenses in every case: FF 28 and APS-C 28

For us shooting aps-c like the nex the best way to imagine the difference: shoot some with a zeiss 18----it is the aps-c "28"

imagine a distortion free f/2 18mm for your nex Smile That's what those guys get with their 5Ds and 28/2s

all this said 28 on APS-C presents an FOV that is basically the definition of "normal"

So for a APS-C shooter you could easily argue: nothing is more important than my 28 !! Smile Ahhh, but there's the rub. At 35mm f2 is common, 1.4 is no problem, and today 850USD will get you the very very sweet CV 35/1.2 But an f2 28 is very fast indeed. At 2.8 there is a wide selection of really nice lenses, both SLR and RF. At f2 its not such easy pickins. But we are talking about TWICE the light. For indoors 2.8 is not so great. Truly low light it is unusable unless you like "impressionistic" results.

Last edited by uhoh7 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I love my Tokina RMC 3.5/17 - it's actually pretty wide on the NEX.

For me, the big reason I would love a FF camera is the wide angles, I mostly shoot with wide angle lenses and it's frustrating that the 1.5x crop factor of the NEX makes them not so wide, hence I often have to stitch images together to get the views I want.

Oldest 28 I have shot, hmm, not very old, 1970s. Wide angles were not so common before the days of the 35mm SLR in the 60s, we had to wait for the introduction of the retrofocus type. Only common non-retrofocus design that springs to mind is the Jupiter-12 which is a copy of the Biogon. I see very few lenses shorter than 40mm for sale on ebay that are older than the 60s.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did split this topic you can continue read and comment sensor discussion here

http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-size-crop-etc-t45344.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK at any rate, not long after I found a nikon 28/2 AI, which bjorn raves about I also found:

nikkor 28/3.5 PC
Shown here mounted on a kipon tilt adapter, which gives you a tilt/shift setup for not much, and the ability to tilt all your nikon mounts.

this is a nice, fairly sharp shooter.

However it's not exactly small, and niether is the nikon 28/2

The primary and unassailable advanage of the nex over a 5D is that it's small and more importantly you can shoot RF glass. I frankly had the idea somehow bigger was better, and how could a tiny RF lens perform as good as a big SLR one?

The whole 35mm tradition was born out of the desire to carry a small camera into mountains. The 5D is more akin to a crown graphic than a leica 1, but this

is not far off. This CV 28/3.5 was not easy to find. They are not made anymore. In the end I googled all mentions of the lens in the last 2 years and found an expired ad. The lens had not sold and i was able to steal it for 300USD--they bring easily 450 today. It looks like the other skopars, the 21, the 25, or the 35, but is much heavier. To my shock in testing it outperformed all my SLRs.

But to my dismay I learned of it's achilles heel:

like all the skopars on the original nex-5 it shifted colors, and landscapes could only be fixed with a multi step pain in the arse process involving software called cornerfix.

However, wonder of wonders, sony actually addressed this issue with the c3 and nex-5n, so just this fall the lens became very usable with little pp

again in testing this fall the nikkor 28s could not match the sharpness of this lens. However edge performance is not optimal untill f8 and the lens cannot be used indoors.

I'd become addicted to small 28s. My coat pocket normal prime. Indoor capablity is a must. Even 2.8 is not there for lowlight. Too bad, because the zeiss 28/2.8s in contax G or M are about as sharp as gets at 28mm, from what I can see. OOF rendering is not optimal, but less in your face than the 35s or 45 G.

now what?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the shots are resized, they look very sharp to me, that Skopar looks very nice and very well built as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not 28mm, but the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 was extrememly sharp for me on the Nex-5. But, there's always a compromise! With the Ultron it was the long minimum focus distance Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the discussion tends to RF lenses, which affordable 28mm on RF is good? what about Voigtländer 28/1.9??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's not 28mm, but the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 was extrememly sharp for me on the Nex-5. But, there's always a compromise! With the Ultron it was the long minimum focus distance Sad

You haven't seen this > http://forum.mflenses.com/hawks-factory-m-gte-mount-adapter-t42105.html

Btw, with this Hawks M->E adapter

Ultron 35/1.7's MFD becomes 0.3m,
Ultron 28/1.9's MFD is 0.22m, also
Color-Skopar 28/3.5's MFD is 0.22m.

Of course those lens aren't designed to perform well at these distance I guess.

Last edited by koji on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Quite typical for RF lenses, though.

That Hawks adapter seems to be interesting! But at quite a price!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
since the discussion tends to RF lenses, which affordable 28mm on RF is good? what about Voigtländer 28/1.9??

from what i can gather:

CV ultrons are good and one of only 2 fast RF choices

at f8 they are pretty sharp edge to edge on the nex. Their fans include Erwin Puts and Tom Abrahamsson.

here are some interesting discussions on the lens
vs zm28 on nex
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109011

1.9 vs 2
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106918

shots from the f2
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88999&highlight=ultron+28mm

Many shots from the 1.9 (better than above)
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85472&highlight=ultron+28mm

zm28/2.8 bigon is possibly sharpest 28 RF

the 80's elmarit is quite nice for under 1k.

M-Rokkor 28/2.8 is similar.

The hawks adapter is a must for serious shooting with any M or LTM on nex. Besides great close focus, it is the only adapter for any mount that does not go past infinity. You really cannot overstate how nice that is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for links!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Superb discussion

Since we have experienced shooters weighing in, maybe we should add: what's the OLDEST 28 you have shot?

Maybe next we can do the oldest forum member to shoot a 28. Wink

Those are wonderful images, uhoh7. The blue in the first church shot is magnificent. Which lens I can't afford was that? There definitely is a difference between what I see from FF and APS-C. Those OM f/2 shots have great 3D-like depth that might not have come through from an APS-C. I'm sure the technology is heading to the day when the cost will allow us all to use FF, leaving APS-C for the P&S. If too much time passes, the focal length standard for comparisons will move to APS-C and people will be saying a 28mm is like an 18mm on APS-C, in fact you've already started.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples from the right honorable -

Sankyo Kohki W-Komura 28mm f3.5

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Maybe next we can do the oldest forum member to shoot a 28. ****

Well if you twist my arm and insist, now you may think these shots are ordinary (that I took this week) using a CZJ 28mm f2.8 but just think they are unique and you will not see them anywhere else in the world Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they from the PB mount lens? Or is this the re-badged Sigma? They look sharp either way Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Are they from the PB mount lens? Or is this the re-badged Sigma? They look sharp either way Smile

Mine is made in East Germany on PB mount, this lens is very good (well I don't know how good as I've never compared it with my other lenses for a resolution test) ..........but am pleased with my copy and have submitted other shots in "the best of lenses" thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good lens with a vintage look, I have three copies. Sharp even wide open with lovely bokeh and colours.

It's not a CZJ lens though, it's a Pentacon, all three of mine are labelled Pentacon, although ones labelled 'Carl Zeiss Jena P' are common, those are from the end of the production run.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: a Reply with quote

what about yashikor 28mm f2.8 ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my best 28mm is..a 30mm, Pentax K f2.8/30mm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Those are wonderful images, uhoh7. The blue in the first church shot is magnificent. Which lens I can't afford was that?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655185-REG/Zeiss_1762_827_Distagon_T_18mm_f_3_5.html

I can't afford one either, but I have one anyway. Smile Here is the shot which sold me on it

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329/120#10106093

they go for around 950 and as you can see the nex 5n loves them--which is not the case with a number of other zeiss wides.

if you think that is extravagant for a not rich person, there is this:

some will tell you this is the finest lens made by leica today, the 28mm Summicron ASPH

the little nex seems to like it also--all these at f/2

It's smaller than a v3 Elmarit 28/2.8, about the length of a v4 hoodless 50/2, but fatter, 255 grams or so, so the whole package slips into a sport coat pcoket. The 5n now has a very quiet shutter, so this is a wonderful stealth shooter. The original 5 shutter would raise eyebrows across a room. I'm going to sell 10 lenses in the spring to recoup the investment Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i walk out of the house, i no longer wonder which lens should be on the camera Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more shots from my SMC Pentax - M 2/28.
Unfortunately we had very bad weather during the last days so I was`nt able to produce some good daylight shots.

Indoors wide open (with some PP):

Small town at night, F8, using K-r`s internal HDR feature.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: I'm late here Reply with quote

I have a pile of 28s and they still surprise me. I started with the Pentax M28/2.8. Then a Takumar Bayonet 28/2.8, but that will sell in about an hour. So will an M42 Makinon 28/2.8, which is exactly the same as my Focal 28/2.8 (but is worth more). My only PK-A-type is a TOU / 5-Star 28/2.8 (by Sun?) which is surprisingly sharp. I have an Access AMC (Tokina?) 28/2.8 'macro', also quite sharp, as is the Soligor-Tokina 28/2.8. Miscellaneous other 28/2.8's include Accura, Chinon, a couple different Hanimex, Rokinon, and Sears (Tomioka?).

But those aren't my best. I was very lucky one week. First, the Vivitar-Kiron 28/2.5 for US$20, then the Tamron BBAR 28/2.5 (with Adaptall2-PK mount) for US$4, and then the Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CF for US$18. A trifecta! I haven't done test runs to see which is 'best' but the Komine 28/2 CF is my most-used 28.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm late here Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
... and then the Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CF for US$18. A trifecta! I haven't done test runs to see which is 'best' but the Komine 28/2 CF is my most-used 28.

Where did you find that? The f/2 can reach $100 or more.