Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your best 28..and how you got there :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is talking about the Photodo MTF/Grade:

http://www.photodo.com

those results doesn't mean very much to me... but if they realy are the ultimate measurements for quality, I should be happy.. a Minolta AF 2/28 (which I own too) gets a Grade 4.1.. not bad especially since I like the Konica UC Hexanon 1.8/28 even much more. It's not listed there, should get a very high grade then. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

those results doesn't mean very much to me... but if they realy are the ultimate measurements for quality, I should be happy.. a Minolta AF 2/28 (which I own too) gets a Grade 4.1.. not bad especially since I like the Konica UC Hexanon 1.8/28 even much more. It's not listed there, should get a very high grade then. Very Happy

AH!...from the site:- Cosina 24mm f/2.8 is highly regarded, looks like MFlenses missed this one Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only 3 28's and kept just 1 of them.

Vivitar 2.5/28, Tamron 2.5/28 and Contax G Biogon 2.8/28

And i know you can guess which one is better.Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
jjphoto wrote:
Hmmm. I don't really shoot with 28 primes so I can't really explain why I have Leica R E55/V2, Contax AE and MM, Kiron 28/2 and Olympus 28/2.8. Not to mention the various zooms which tend to be used around this focal length. Maybe I need to sell some dead weight.

For a walk around lens the Contax 28/2.8 MM would be my pick, not that it's better than the Leica R 28/2.8 E55, just lighter, and cheaper.

Well I dont know about the MM version but the AE 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* (Grade 4.3) is actually a better lens than the Leica 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M (Grade 4.1) and an even better lens than the Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f2.8 (Grade 3.8 )

[...]

Actually, going by the tested Grades above, the 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* is probably one of very best 28mm lenses ever made...Sadly, I dont have a Grade for the Zeiss Hollywood 28mm f2.0, because its possible that its even better.

jjphoto wrote:
I had a loaner Leica M4-P for a little while, with the M 28/2.8 ASPH. Man, what a lens. If that focal length and rangefinders are your thing then the M 28/2.8 ASPH would be my pick.
JJ

I'll stick with my Zeiss! Wink

I think these test grades are pretty useless. I have seen enough samples from the Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8 v2 (incl. 100% crops, from different sources) to be convinced that it beats the Distagon 28/2.8 (which I have) and most likely every other retrofocus 28/2.8 out there. It also beats the newer ZF Distagon 25/2.8, which is a sharper lens than the D28/2.8.
Also, common experience is that the MM version of the Distagon is sharper across the frame than the AE, but sample variation is not insignificant, which is why test grades aren't a guarantee that the sample you buy performs exactly the same.

From what I've read, the Contax 28/2 Hollywood seems to have more field curvature than the 28/2.8. I think it doesn't outperform the 2.8, but it has (even) more character.

To add my story to this thread: my first 28mm was a Vivitar/Komine Close Focus 28/2. Very nice lens, better bokeh than the Kiron and Series 1 28/1.9, judging from the samples I've seen. The rendering is a bit flat though and corner sharpness isn't great, which makes it less usable for landscape.
28mm no. 2 was the Olympus 28/3.5. Nice performance across the frame, plenty sharp. Again, uninspired rendering though. It also has some CA, but a bit less than the Vivitar.
I ended up with a Contax Distagon 28/2.8, which strikes the best balance in value for money for me. The results almost always excite me, so I don't feel much need to look for anything better. Maybe I'll exchange it for a ZE/ZF 28/2 some time though, or even the new 25/2, because both of these are nicer to use for close-ups.

Other 28mms I'd like to try: Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8 v2, Nikkor AI-s 28/2 or 28/2.8, aforementioned Z* 28/2.

Last edited by AhamB on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Tedat wrote:

AH!...from the site:- Cosina 24mm f/2.8 is highly regarded, looks like MFlenses missed this one Wink

Actually they are from the following site, which contains the results of many different lens tests...But for the relevent tests you only need to scroll down about 1/6th of the way down) :

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~loui/lenses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you want to look at side-by-side photodo data

I'm thinking it's the same source for rating/grade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG's results appear to come from the list under "Easy Guide Index" (scroll down within the link) where we are told that the results are average marks derived from tests from 5 photo magazines from all over the planet. Because of potential copyright violation we are not told the names of the magazines.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any tests, but my Zuiko 28/2 is effin' awesome contrast & resolution-wise.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050208000949/members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

This guy says it's one of the sharpest Zuiko lens. If it "scores" so low, then I guess all the other OM lenses must suck worse Razz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 69, perfect match for my Pen. Wink

Small, sharp and cool looking soviet old timer Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm?

OMG, I had so many, I guess I cannot even remember them all... Embarassed

OK, let me just list some and write something about them, only approx. in order of acquisition:

Pentax-M SMC 2.8/28 - SOLD (and bought again!)

One of the first manual lenses I had and a really good one. I sold it and did not really miss it, because as a PK-lens it did not want to play with my 5D. Wink But when I got my NEX, I started to miss it again, because of it's very compact size and very good IQ, so I bought another one just recently.

Raynox Auto 2.8/28 - SOLD

Some of the first MF lenses I bought. Nicely built, but IQ nothing special.

Vivtar 2.8/28 (Komine)

Cute and compact lens, pretty good, really. I resisted to sell it several times because of three reasons: 1. it wouldn't sell for much, 2. I shot with it shortly beforehand, saw the results and decided not to sell it and 3. it now lives on my Sigma SD9 as a standard lens. Wink

Vivtar 2.5/28 (Kiron) - SOLD (another copy given to my dad)

Also a pretty decent lens. perhaps not as sharp as the Komine 2.8/28 above but a tiny little bit faster and more robust.
I had another copy which I have given to my dad who loves it on his Fuji S2 Pro.

Kiron 2.0/28 MC - SOLD

I had two copies of this lens and either one mad me think. On the one hand I really liked the results and the f/2, but on the other hand it never really gave me the goosebumps if you know what I mean.

Yashica ML 2.8/28 - SOLD

Good lens, but I never got warm with it. Others like it much more!

Petri 2.8/28 MC Macro - SOLD

Also a good lens and with a nice close-up performance, but all-in-all not spectacular.

Tamron 2.5/28 - SOLD (and bought one again!)
(Sorry, no image at hand.)
This is another lens that I had, liked, sold, missed and bought again. Wink

Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 3.5/28 - SOLD

That was one of the best 28mm lenses I've ever shot with. And today with the NEX I kind of miss it.

Vivitar MC Close Focus Wide Angle 2.0/28 (Komine) - SOLD

This lens is fantastic on APS but loses a lot on fullframe.

Schneider-Kreuznach Curtagon 4/28 - SOLD

Schneider-Kreuznach meets EOS by LucisPictor, on Flickr
I sold it, because I fell in love with the way it looks. I sold it because I could not use it on my 5D.
I would love to see it on the NEX, though!

Super Albinar 2.8/28 SC (FD)

I only have used it on my Canon FTb QL and there it constantly amazed me.
On film it's great. I don't know about digital.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.0/28 ZE - NEVER MINE Sad Wink

Amazing lens! I was allowed to borrow it from Zeiss. The built is absolutely top-class! The IQ is great, apart from the CA at high contrast edges. Those are there without discussion!

Rollei Rolleinar 2.8/28 (QBM)

Rolleinar HFT 2.8/28 @ EOS 5D by LucisPictor, on Flickr
I like that lens a lot. Unfortunately, it does not work 100% on my 5D.

Minolta Rokkor 3.5/28

Minolta W.Rokkor 3.5/28 @ NEX-3 by LucisPictor, on Flickr
Bought for my NEX and liked it from the beginning. It is a bit slow, though.

Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/28 - NEVER MINE Sad
Was allowed to use the copy of a friend of mine. This was, for a long time, the best 28mm I have ever shot with! Until I got my absolute favourite:

Minolta Rokkor 2/28

Rokkor @ EOS by LucisPictor, on Flickr
This lens combines the speed of the fastest 28mm lenses and the IQ of the best ones!
And a good friend of mine adapted it to an EF-mount and thus transported it into the EOS world! Yeah!!

You can find some shots with my 28mm lenses here...

BTW, the lens of this cam also is effectively a 28mm:

DP1s by LucisPictor, on Flickr
And I tell you, it stands up to the best MF lenses I have used on my DSLRs!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's surely my Distagon 28/2. Superb close focus and sharp as a tack at infinity. It's predecessors in my bag were a never enjoyed JC Penny 28/2.8 followed by a never liked Vivitar 28/2.5. Although I wouldn't mind trying out an Elmarit, Angenieux, and a Schneider, I doubt my hollywood will ever be replaced Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not purchased many 28mm lenses, maybe because I found a good one and didn't feel a need to seek out anything more. My first was the Takumar 28/3.5 and I wasn't crazy about it. The images were good, but I found the focusing difficult. I sold it. I then bought the Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus and fell in love with it.

The images shared here from the Soligor look good and the Tokina appears excellent. I have to believe the Konica is quite good based on all the positive reports, however, I won't have any opportunity to use one until I get a NEX at some future point. What confuses me somewhat is Ian's report on his Vivitar experience. Ian, are you certain you lens looks like this with the actual words "CLOSE FOCUS" on the front?

Did you use it on the old Canon that couldn't focus, or on the NEX? I suspect it should do quite well on the NEX. And since you had two copies, it isn't as likely you had bad copies. My intent is not to get into a pissing match like on another Konica thread as I respect that we all have our own opinions, but what you described is quite different from my CLOSE FOCUS (CF) experience. For instance, I consider my CF to have VERY good contrast and sharpness is right up there with my Flek 35/2.4. So, could you confirm it's the CF you have and possibly provide a side by side of images from the CF and the Konica straight out of the camera? I would like to see that. If I found an affordable 28mm noticeably better than my CF, wow.

I know I have posted these images before, but they remain good examples of what I get with the CF lens:

Last edited by woodrim on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had two copies, neither was good. We've been over this before.

I'm not inclined to bother testing them again, I gave one away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: OM Zuiko f2/28mm Reply with quote

I tried many.

Zeiss Distagon f2.8/28mm
Zeiss Distagon f2/28mm (Hollywood)
M Hexanon f2.8/28mm
Kiron 2/28

I loved the Hollywood but it is too large for my preference.
The M hex 28 is world class. Probably the best 28mm lens I ever tried.
It was too big for an RF lens compared to my other wides and I rarely used it so I sold it.
The one I'm staying with is the Zuiko f2/28mm.
It does exactly what I want and is the size of an RF lens.
Performance is brilliant even at wide open. I don't use a 28 often.
Mostly when space is tight or I want a special effect of wide open wide angle. The zuiko is perfect on 5Dii or film.

a few old ones.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OM Zuiko f2/28mm Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

a few old ones.

Isn't it amazing which narrow DoF you can use for your composition if a fast 28mm is used on fullframe?
Well done!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree it can be fun to do wide-angle shallow dof shots, the strength of the Zuiko 28/2 really comes out at around F4-F5.6.

This at F4, I believe. Just a bit of corner softness on a 5D

100% crop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, I had two copies, neither was good. We've been over this before.

I'm not inclined to bother testing them again, I gave one away.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
While I agree it can be fun to do wide-angle shallow dof shots, the strength of the Zuiko 28/2 really comes out at around F4-F5.6.

This at F4, I believe. Just a bit of corner softness on a 5D

Yes it can be a great Landscape lens (Try the Zuiko 2/21mm also it's fantastic!).
I use it mostly for "documentary" work or special effect as mentioned before.
The lens gives a nice dimensionality even in tough conditions.
Reminds me mostly of the Zeiss Hollywood and I would even say it is on par with that lens that get's so much attention.
This shot is sort of a torture test if you will. It was at f4-f5.6 or so. Really intense acidic light conditions but, it held together very well.
Decent highlight detail and good shadow detail with great color and 3D (I hate that term Laughing ).

In my final image I cropped out the blown out snow in the foreground.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult for me to judge the Zuiko at the small size of Andy's pics
Rawhead's 100% crop looks quite artifacted to me, almost "watercolored"
I have to say I am impressed by the apparent clarity of the Vivitar lens, although there too I'd like to see a bigger size image.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have to say I am impressed by the apparent clarity of the Vivitar lens, although there too I'd like to see a bigger size image.

Well, these are sitting on flikr and all I have to offer.
My Archive was stolen in the robbery and I have no new images with this lens available on my HD.
I Agree though, small images only give an impression and are not really meant to help others make purchase choices.
That said. The impression is there. The Zuiko is a great lens to work with for my purposes. You can see it's personality in these samples.
It's Fast, Tiny, focusses close and has an FLE to even out performance throughout the focus range.
The zuikos have one clear advantage in that their aperture ring is on the front of the lens.
When using an adapted lens stopped down this to me has been really great.
I never bump the focus ring as I do occasionally do with my Contax lenses when stopping down after focussing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, going back to the image, I realize I'd increased saturation in Aperture. Here's another 100% crop, straight from the RAW Master Image.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Orio: I'm uploading three images that are original size. I had to look for some because most of my images get cropped. One is semi-close-up, one medium distance, and one at infinity. Please keep in mind that these are APS-C from a 10mp camera and originall shot in jpg, not raw. Since I only have had the two lenses, I'm interested in how the Konica and maybe the Tokina might compare. I'll never buy one of the expensive Zeiss lenses, so a comparison there isn't as useful to me, although would still be information for others. I thought Ian might be good for a comparison since he has both lenses and newly acquired focusing skills, but I struck out there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the OM fitting Vivitar, I sent the Pk one to Lloydy. The Hoya 2.8/28 is the Tokina SL28 rebadged and of course, I have my beloved Hexanon 3.5/28. Hard for me to compare them atm with the bad light we have here in winter but if I get time I'll have a go.

Perhaps woodrim would enjoy seeing his favourite shot down my terraced street as test subject? (Just joking).

I sold my Yashica ML 28 but I still have Pentacon 2.8/28 and Canon FD 2.8/28 so I could throw those in too. I have two copies of the Ensinor 2.8/28 as well, which is made by Cimko but surprisingly good.

Just hope we get some good light one day.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to know how a Hexanon 28mm f3.5 AE version performs on a film camera, then here is the shots I've posted before:-

Crop

Crop and using a denoise program, which turned it into more digital Rolling Eyes