Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your best 28..and how you got there :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read most of this thread and it occurs to me that there is no discussion as to how a particular lens functions on any given system, let alone which specific camera the thing was assessed on. Surely, each lens/camera combination will give differing results and distort any generalisaton of the lenses merits.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
I have read most of this thread and it occurs to me that there is no discussion as to how a particular lens functions on any given system, let alone which specific camera the thing was assessed on. Surely, each lens/camera combination will give differing results and distort any generalisaton of the lenses merits.

Well it doesn't make any difference with a film camera as it's just a light tight box separating the lens from the photographer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: I love my Welmy Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have posted about my Welmy 2.8 28mm lens before, but I will again.

This is one of the best lenses I own, albeit from an unknown manufacturer. It was acquired at a carboot sale here in the UK for £5.

I really like the softness, bokeh and sharpness of this lens. Wide open maybe not to everyone's taste - but it is a gem.

wide open 1/1250s

The Welmy on the left - comparison in size to the M42 Cosinon auto MC 28mm f2.8 (right)

Welmy at ISO 200, 1/320 sec, f8

Crop of the above

The Welmy 28mm 2.5 using a lens reversing ring at ISO 200, 1/80 sec

F8, ISO 400, 1/200 sec

And I do really like the dreamy effect it creates wide open

I may be biased but this 28mm lens knocks the socks off of the others that I have and apart from the Cosinon, I forget which ones I have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's a bit much for my delicate young eyes. But hey, different strokes for different folks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu May 12, 2016 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

Do you have any information about the lens scheme? I always suspect that the very long 28ers are some sort of Distagon inspired design?

Bernhardas, I can't find any information at all about the Welmy on the internet - apart from a company did exist in the early part of the 20th Century making the Welmy Six (manufactured by Taisei Kōki). I believe this company ceased long before this Welmy 28mm 2.5 came into existence.

As far as the lens scheme goes I have no idea and not sure how I would find out. I did buy a 2nd one as soon as one was listed on ebay and it shot exactly the same - so the lens does not have any fault. I have only ever seen 2 others for sale since I have had mine (the one I purchased & one that sold on ebay for cheap). There is currently a 135mm 2.8 Welmy on Ebay UK - again unsure who the actual manufacturer is.

I sold the 2nd one I bought (for what I paid) to a young chap in The Netherlands after he saw my photos on this forum and after he asked to buy it.

The original Welmy 28mm thread is here: http://forum.mflenses.com/welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-serial-no-partially-hidden-t58259.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much earlier in this thread I reported on my Vivitar 2.8/28 Close Focus. More recently I had the opportunity to acquire a near mint copy of the f/2 version. I find the f/2 superior at wide open and superior at close distances, but maybe not quite as good at distance. I will have to test more before being certain about the distance comment.

At wide open f/2:

f/5.6 or 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples Woodrim!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Welmy 28 is probably made by Sun. I had it as a Soligor, didn't rate it, soft and glowy until f5.6.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite 28mm's is the Olympus 28mm f/3.5, though I don't use the focal length a whole lot. I like the flaring and the colors are nice and warm. And it's tiny, which I really, really like. Size is a huge factor for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never too excited with 28's, I prefered longer or shorter FL's (24 & 50).
The first one that cought my eye was the early Super-Tak 28/3.5(M42), it had a nice rendering but what really cought my eye was it's ability to produce nice flare.
So I started to buy more 28's, the newer SMC-T, SMC M, A, all were good or average, the next to catch my eye is my Elmarit M 28 V2, it's small, very sharp, and has great bokeh when wide open, I love it on my NEX-7 as a normal, shooting my nieces is great fun, and they look great.
Next up is my Rokkor 28/2.5, it has a great rendering when wide open, and super sharp stopped down, has 3D when shooting at close distances and infinity is sharp.

I also recently bought a Topcor RE 28/2.8 but haven't had time or weather to shoot it or many others properly.
I'll be fixing that soon.... I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartcat wrote:
It is interesting to me that someone else found the RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 to be their worst lens at that focal length. I have one and absoluely love it. In fact it might well be my favourite lens.

I was never a wide angle shooter (not that 28mm is that 'wide' on my crop sensor) but I had picked up a Tokina made Vivitar 35mm 2.8 and it made me want to try other Tokina lenses. I happened upon an RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 on the 'bay for $11.50 and couldn't resist. I loved it from the first test shots.

I have found it to be very sharp, even from wide open. Sharpness is retained even at significant crops. It is close focusing with beautiful, natural colour straight out of the camera. I love it so much I have since picked up a couple of inexpensive RMC Tokina zooms, which while not quite as sharp, have been good value nonetheless.

I haven't tried any other 28mm lenses, but have no desire to do so. I am quite happy with my Tokina and it is my 'go to' lens most of the time. Even if I'm planning on using a longer focal length I usually bring it along 'just in case'. I'm not very adept at post processing and that aspect of photography isn't something I really enjoy, so I like that my Tokina 28mm photos need very minimal processing.

A few samples.

Looks like this thread was recently bumped in April so I suppose there's no harm in replying to the thread again. I re-read the whole chain and like the contrast and color in these two shots. Started scouring the 'bay (common result of reading mflenses) ... and found this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

Does anyone know if this Is this the same lens??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi proteus791

Welcome to the forum! You can't post links or images in your first message - an anti-spam measure. You'll be ok from now on.

As for the lens, I think it's the same one.

proteus791 wrote:
heartcat wrote:
It is interesting to me that someone else found the RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 to be their worst lens at that focal length. I have one and absoluely love it. In fact it might well be my favourite lens.

I was never a wide angle shooter (not that 28mm is that 'wide' on my crop sensor) but I had picked up a Tokina made Vivitar 35mm 2.8 and it made me want to try other Tokina lenses. I happened upon an RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 on the 'bay for $11.50 and couldn't resist. I loved it from the first test shots.

I have found it to be very sharp, even from wide open. Sharpness is retained even at significant crops. It is close focusing with beautiful, natural colour straight out of the camera. I love it so much I have since picked up a couple of inexpensive RMC Tokina zooms, which while not quite as sharp, have been good value nonetheless.

I haven't tried any other 28mm lenses, but have no desire to do so. I am quite happy with my Tokina and it is my 'go to' lens most of the time. Even if I'm planning on using a longer focal length I usually bring it along 'just in case'. I'm not very adept at post processing and that aspect of photography isn't something I really enjoy, so I like that my Tokina 28mm photos need very minimal processing.

A few samples.

Looks like this thread was recently bumped in April so I suppose there's no harm in replying to the thread again. I re-read the whole chain and like the contrast and color in these two shots. Started scouring the 'bay (common result of reading mflenses) ... and found this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

Does anyone know if this Is this the same lens??
Smile Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 28 was an M42 mount Vivitar 28/2.8 WA way back in the 1970s. The man in the local camera shop recommended it for the
price I could pay, and what a bargain it's been. OK, it glows a bit and loses definition wide open, but stopped down to 5.6 or 8 it
becomes as sharp as anything else I've used, and the contrast and colours are superb. So, to anyone looking for good results from a
cheap 28 I'd recommend any of the the Vivitar 2.8s (see woodrim's pictures earlier in the thread).

Up till last year I was very happily using a Minolta MD 28/3.5, but then I started collecting Pentax K lenses to use on my K2 and
bought the Pentax SMC 28/3.5 on recommendation from forum members, and now it lives on the NEX-7. I'm never going to touch
another 28 again. Wink

(Click for full size and sharpness)

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: I have some 28mm lenses Reply with quote

The Yashica ML 28mm F2.8 was my main lens for 2 years on my NEX7.
It is sharp, has warm colors, and very nice handling. I got it practically new from EBAY.
Then I bought the Nikon AI-S 28mm F2.8 for the close focusing. I never really liked it.
Yes, it is sharp and contrasty, and there is no distortion. BUT the pictures look gray and dull. Sold.
The industar 69 is probably the worst lens you can buy, and that is why I bought it. I used it a few times, no more.
The best I have by now is the Voigtlander 28mm F2.8, which is a fantastic pancake lens.
It is sharp wide open, has nice bokeh, it's not prone to flare, and has superb mechanics.
Just for fun I ordered a Hexanon 28/3.5 with 7 elements. I hope it will be as good as everybody say.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I have some 28mm lenses Reply with quote

ravivme wrote:
The Yashica ML 28mm F2.8 was my main lens for 2 years on my NEX7.
It is sharp, has warm colors, and very nice handling. I got it practically new from EBAY.
Then I bought the Nikon AI-S 28mm F2.8 for the close focusing. I never really liked it.
Yes, it is sharp and contrasty, and there is no distortion. BUT the pictures look gray and dull. Sold.
The industar 69 is probably the worst lens you can buy, and that is why I bought it. I used it a few times, no more.
The best I have by now is the Voigtlander 28mm F2.8, which is a fantastic pancake lens.
It is sharp wide open, has nice bokeh, it's not prone to flare, and has superb mechanics.
Just for fun I ordered a Hexanon 28/3.5 with 7 elements. I hope it will be as good as everybody say.

Are you referring to this lens: http://voigtlaender.com/28-mm-f-2%2c8-color-skopar-sl-ii.html ?

Seems to be not bad. However, it's not really cheap as well. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current favorite is this chunk o' metal:

Vivitar Series 1 28 mm f/1.9 by scepticswe, on Flickr
Built like a tank ( by Tokina, from the era when Series 1 actually meant something) and performs very well. As expected, wide open performance leaves a little to be desired (heavy vignetting and rather soft), but stopped down it has nothing to be ashamed of. Some examples from an A7R:

Sunny foreground by scepticswe, on Flickr

Seen better days II by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best 28mm lenses are these:

SMC Pentax 28/3.5 (the older 'K' version) - possibly the sharpest 28mm lens wide open. Beats Distagon 28/2.8 in wide-open sharpness. Contrast and colors are great.
Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 (C/Y) - superb micro-contrast and '3D' images. While not the sharpest wide-open, produces excellent images stopped down.
Olympus Zuiko 28/2 - a truly excellent, all-rounded wide-angle. Great for every purpose. The slower 28/2.8 version is not much behind yet it's much smaller and lighter.
Nikkor AiS 28/2 - a super-fast wide-angle lens with a character. Perfect for shooting sunsets. The 28/2.8 AiS version is not so great at infinity though, so I sold my copy.
Vivitar 28/2.5 - a surprisingly solid performer for the little money it sells for. Same for Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this thread takes me wayyy back. I've not done any real testing so take these impressions with a grain of salt. Some I still have, some i don't for one reason or another. YMMV

RMC Tokina II 28mm f2.8 - Stiff focus, didn't use much. Decent, well crafted.
Cosmicar MC 28mm f2.8 - Pentax-A 28mm clone with non SMC coating?, decent, well crafted, noticeable PF
SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 - typical M series mainstay, didn't have for long, wasn't bad but overshadowed by the colours on the SMC Pentax-M 28/3.5
XR Rikenon 28mm f3.5 - M28/3.5 in Ricoh uniform. Sharp, contrasty, splendid construction
Vivitar MC 28mm f2 - Kiron variant, oil got on the blades, had to go in for a CLA. decently sharp, some coma/glow at f2.
Tamron 28mm f2.5 - decent at closer distances, haven't extensively tested but the 0.25m MFD is a bonus.
Sigma 28mm f1.8 Asp - I forgot about this one, good performer, nothing overly noteworthy, the short focus throw less ideal.
Nikon 28mm f2.0 AIS - solid entry, sharp, good contrast, some coma, PF, good mfd at 0.25m as well!
Vivitar s1 28mm f1.9 - sharp, some coma, less PF than the Nikon 28mm but a little more 'glowy' wide open . something about the vivitar that I usually grab over the 28/2 AIS.

Nikon 28mm f4 PC - different beast altogether, noticeable distortion but shift ability invaluable when you need it. pretty sharp and contrasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

Recently changed my mind and gave those wide lenses another try. So after a 35mm, i bought a 28MM Distagon in C/Y mount. This proved to be quite efficient, here shot on a Contax RX with Portra 400 film

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

Recently changed my mind and gave those wide lenses a try. So after a 35mm, i bought a 28MM Distagon in C/Y mount. This proved to be quite efficient, here shot on a Contax RX with Portra 400 film

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot more at 28 than any FL Smile

Creek and Rocks by unoh7, Sumicron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I shoot more at 28 than any FL Smile

I've tried it on my last trip to Italy to restrict myself to this FL. I just had my GR lens/sensor module 28mm/2.5 in my GXR and it worked out more than just good.
However, nothing to show here as it's actually 18.3mm and AF.
I just wanted to try the typical Ricoh GR feeling.... Wink
It's no bad concept. Ricoh has the GR single focus 28mm premium camera already since 1996 (film) till date (APS-C/16MP digital).
There is even a RF lens in LTM called "GR" from Ricoh in 28mm/2.8, though it's not really cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of getting a konica hexanon 28mm AR, anyone know how the flaring is?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ uhoh7

Hat off