Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your best 28..and how you got there :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once had a spiratone 28/2.8 in m42 that was a very good lens, especially with black and white. i am thinking of getting a nikon f-mount lens in 24 or 28. this is a fine thread on the 28s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonc wrote:
At one point I had Zeiss 2/35 ZF and Nikkor 28/2 Ais... I sold the Zeiss and kept the Nikkor. I don't think I ever will sell the Nikkor.

Thanks. Nice photos. Just got my nikkor ais 28/2. It's on the way to join the family. Pentax K28/2, A28/2, kiron28/2 are waiting... Wait, do i miss something? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila: thanks
@hoanpham: it surely is a lovey lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hoanpham: hope you really enjoy your new lens!!
I have been looking for this copy, hope I find one soon, too! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Anyone own the nikkor ais 28mm f2.0 ?

How is it compare to the other 28s f2.0 ?

I've owned the Nikkor 28/2, ZF 2/28 and Leica R 28 Elamrit v.2.

The Zeiss surprisingly wasn't as sharp as I'd hoped, not dramatically more than the Nikkor (or so it seemed with my sample), STRONG vignetting and pretty steep field curvature close up. Some call this an 'artistic lens' but it was more of a pain in the ass than anything. Never warmed to it.

The Nikon suffers noticeable haze from spherical aberrations up to f/2.8 but makes it far more forgiving with skin tones. Pleasing bokeh and underlying crisp sharpness remains present. With all due respect to the 3rd party optics of the same time period mentioned above, I don't think a single one of them can best the Nikkor by any objective metric. The Nikkor 28/2.8 may be sharper close-up but is inferior to the faster lens for objects at distance and I'd rate the f/2 a better all-purpose lens.

Was always dubious about the Leica, figuring it was more legend than fact. I unexpectedly stumbled upon and purchased a fairly-priced 28 Elmarit v.2, forcing me to reconsider the prejudice. Sumptuous colors and subtle tonality I've not seen from aNy Nikkor or Zeiss, 3 dimensionality to subjects shot at MFD and wide-open, out-resolving the sensor by a great margin. 100% cropped JPEG's off my D700 are startling in the amount of recorded detail.

Sold the ZF to fund the Leica and worth every pfennig.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my best 28, as discussed previously, but probably my most used one.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just reminds me why I would love a FF digicam - wides look wide again...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

full:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6844679645_515e56287e_o.jpg

leica 28/2 on nex 5n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many 28's collected over the years. Some good, some crap, some I still have never tested. Haha.
I just read this thread start to finish, it has inspired me to pull them out again and test them all even just to share here so more people can see how different inexpensive lenses render in this focal.

....then we just need a thread like this for 35's, 50's, best ultra wide, best portrait focal and best tele. Haha. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is Konica UC-Hexanon 28/1.8, the lens shows amazing color and bokah at wide open, plus the 18-cm focus distance, though it spent me USD 499...... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had three 28mm primes so far, so by no means I'm claiming them one of the best out of all 28mms.

I think best out of the three:

1. Minolta MC W-Rokkor-SI 28mm F2.5
Just great performance overall from close up to portraits to sceneries and landscapes. Down side is Minolta SR mount so only usable on mirrorless or you have to modify / use adapter with optics to achieve infinity focus for DSLRs.

2. Vivitar 28mm F2 Close Focus
It's tough to choose between this and the Minolta cause lens is so much fun with it's close focus capability and small size! It's also come with different mounts from Nikon to Pentax, not sure if it has M42, if so you can basically use it on most DSLRs on the market nowadays given you find one. Close Focus is superb, landscape and scenery however is imo not in the level of the Minolta but still very usable.

3. Makinon 28mm F2.8
I think I saw somewhere saying this is one of the worst 28mms. QC is quite abysmal I think and flare control is not very good either. But I mostly use it for reverse macro and I find it not bad at all given it's cheap price. In the end, I don't think there's actually a bad 28mm given you've given them all a purpose Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
I've only had three 28mm primes so far, so by no means I'm claiming them one of the best out of all 28mms.

I think best out of the three:

1. Minolta MC W-Rokkor-SI 28mm F2.5
Just great performance overall from close up to portraits to sceneries and landscapes. Down side is Minolta SR mount so only usable on mirrorless or you have to modify / use adapter with optics to achieve infinity focus for DSLRs.

2. Vivitar 28mm F2 Close Focus
It's tough to choose between this and the Minolta cause lens is so much fun with it's close focus capability and small size! It's also come with different mounts from Nikon to Pentax, not sure if it has M42, if so you can basically use it on most DSLRs on the market nowadays given you find one. Close Focus is superb, landscape and scenery however is imo not in the level of the Minolta but still very usable.

3. Makinon 28mm F2.8
I think I saw somewhere saying this is one of the worst 28mms. QC is quite abysmal I think and flare control is not very good either. But I mostly use it for reverse macro and I find it not bad at all given it's cheap price. In the end, I don't think there's actually a bad 28mm given you've given them all a purpose Smile.

Well my Makinon 28mm is quite good...mind you I used to use it stopped down on general shots, but e.g the common Hexanon 28mm is superior and worth paying a few £s more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 28 among the ones I have/have had is quite easily my Contax Distagon 2.8/28.
It is simply the best I tried under every aspect: great sharpness, incredible contrast and flare resistance. I hear corners of my AEG version aren't as good as in the later MM, but I can't see any degradation on aps-c.
Second place is for the Minolta MC 2.5/28, which, apart from coatings not up to recent lenses standards, is simply great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best 28 is/was as above; the C/Y Zeiss 28/2.8. I was dumb enough to sell it a few years ago, and now they´re hard to find at reasonable prices. My current favourite is the Konica Hexanon 28/3.5, 7-element version. Good sharpness and contrast, although I rarely shoot 28 mm anymore. My favourite in terms of "character" is my Tamron Adaptamatic 28/2.8. Found it dirty and in poor condition at a thrift shop and paid about 7 USD for it. Big and heavy (takes 62 mm filters) and focuses down to about 0.2 meters. The coatings aren´t exactly up to current standards, but sharpness is quite satisfactory. Here it is next to my Konica:

Auto Tamron 28/2.8 by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 28 f2 Ai or Ai-S for portability and bang for the buck. Sharp to the corners at f8 on FF at 24MP. Flare resistant. Can work either as a landscape lens or as a close-up one. At wide apertures performs better at close distances than near infinity (as it should).

Zuiko OM 28 f3.5. More bang for the buck than the lens above. Outstanding resolution at f8 but flares more easily than the Nikkor. Amazing form factor. The lens to have for closed down work at a budget.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/815364/0?keyword=zuiko

SMC-M 28 f2.8. So so optics, not as sharp in the corners but the form factor, color rendition and contrast is very appealing.

I´m not so picky with WA lenses at first apertures, I don't tend to use them either, so I can't comment so much about it.

A lens with the form factor and resolution of the Zuiko (or Nikkor), the contrast and colors of the Pentax and the flare resistance of the Nikkor would be the perfect 28. I guess that this is what Leica is about (excluding the form factor).

Last edited by rafa1981 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read most of this thread and it occurs to me that there is no discussion as to how a particular lens functions on any given system, let alone which specific camera the thing was assessed on. Surely, each lens/camera combination will give differing results and distort any generalisaton of the lenses merits.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
I have read most of this thread and it occurs to me that there is no discussion as to how a particular lens functions on any given system, let alone which specific camera the thing was assessed on. Surely, each lens/camera combination will give differing results and distort any generalisaton of the lenses merits.

Well it doesn't make any difference with a film camera as it's just a light tight box separating the lens from the photographer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: I love my Welmy Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have posted about my Welmy 2.8 28mm lens before, but I will again.

This is one of the best lenses I own, albeit from an unknown manufacturer. It was acquired at a carboot sale here in the UK for £5.

I really like the softness, bokeh and sharpness of this lens. Wide open maybe not to everyone's taste - but it is a gem.

wide open 1/1250s

The Welmy on the left - comparison in size to the M42 Cosinon auto MC 28mm f2.8 (right)

Welmy at ISO 200, 1/320 sec, f8

Crop of the above

The Welmy 28mm 2.5 using a lens reversing ring at ISO 200, 1/80 sec

F8, ISO 400, 1/200 sec

And I do really like the dreamy effect it creates wide open

I may be biased but this 28mm lens knocks the socks off of the others that I have and apart from the Cosinon, I forget which ones I have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's a bit much for my delicate young eyes. But hey, different strokes for different folks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu May 12, 2016 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

Do you have any information about the lens scheme? I always suspect that the very long 28ers are some sort of Distagon inspired design?

Bernhardas, I can't find any information at all about the Welmy on the internet - apart from a company did exist in the early part of the 20th Century making the Welmy Six (manufactured by Taisei Kōki). I believe this company ceased long before this Welmy 28mm 2.5 came into existence.

As far as the lens scheme goes I have no idea and not sure how I would find out. I did buy a 2nd one as soon as one was listed on ebay and it shot exactly the same - so the lens does not have any fault. I have only ever seen 2 others for sale since I have had mine (the one I purchased & one that sold on ebay for cheap). There is currently a 135mm 2.8 Welmy on Ebay UK - again unsure who the actual manufacturer is.

I sold the 2nd one I bought (for what I paid) to a young chap in The Netherlands after he saw my photos on this forum and after he asked to buy it.

The original Welmy 28mm thread is here: http://forum.mflenses.com/welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-serial-no-partially-hidden-t58259.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much earlier in this thread I reported on my Vivitar 2.8/28 Close Focus. More recently I had the opportunity to acquire a near mint copy of the f/2 version. I find the f/2 superior at wide open and superior at close distances, but maybe not quite as good at distance. I will have to test more before being certain about the distance comment.

At wide open f/2:

f/5.6 or 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples Woodrim!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Welmy 28 is probably made by Sun. I had it as a Soligor, didn't rate it, soft and glowy until f5.6.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite 28mm's is the Olympus 28mm f/3.5, though I don't use the focal length a whole lot. I like the flaring and the colors are nice and warm. And it's tiny, which I really, really like. Size is a huge factor for me.