Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your best 28..and how you got there :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tokina 28mm F2.8 RMC is also a decent lens. Not as good as the 17mm RMC, but not bad at all.
It's nealy as good as my Konica Hexanon 28mm F3.5, which is I guess my best 28mm. The Hexanon has only better colors and smoother bokeh.
It retro position the Tokina RMC is much better bye the way, because it has better coating in the front element (much better colors)

But my fav. is currently the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 because it also works on my DSLR (M42) Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My Tokina 28mm F2.8 RMC is also a decent lens. Not as good as the 17mm RMC, but not bad at all.
It's nealy as good as my Konica Hexanon 28mm F3.5, which is I guess my best 28mm. The Hexanon has only better colors.
It retro position the Tokina RMC is much better bye the way, because it has better coating in the front element (much better colors)

But my fav. is currently the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 because it also works on my DSLR (M42) Smile

I'd agree with all of that, the 28mm Tokina/Hoya is really good, but the 17mm Tokina is truly stellar.

My Hexanon is the earlier EE version so single-coated, the RMC/HMC coating is fantastic.

I really love my Pentacon 30mm too, used to use it a lot before I got my 28mm Hexanon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summicron 28 @ f/2

below at 1/15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
summicron 28 @ f/2

Fantastic rendering! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Cosina 28/2.8 Reply with quote

Had bought this (Cosina 28/2.8 ) in 2007 for my EOS 350D and probably only used it less than 10 times! Should really take it out more. Once I got the Cosina 24/2.8 in pk mount that became the favourite of the two. Anyway some pictures taken in 2007.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
summicron 28 @ f/2

Wow! This lens plays completely in another league than any other 28mm I've seen before!
Sharp, super high contrast, very low CA and very nice bokeh and 3D effect.
How much did it cost?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not my best 28mm:- but if on a tight budget to try film, the cheap sigma 28mm f2.8 mini-wide II give good results:-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still really enjoying my Hexanon 3.5/28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my earlier post, I didn't really discuss my 28mm lens history, so I'll do that now.

My first 28mm was an Albinar 28mm f/2.8. It was labelled as a "macro" 28mm and actually had a macro scale on it. Performance was just so-so. It looked exactly like this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

In contrast to an Albinar 80-200mm f/3.9 that I also owned at the time, which was a surprisingly sharp lens, this 28mm was noticeably soft. About a year later I bought a Vivitar S1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, which was much sharper at 28mm than the Albinar, and sold it for dirt cheap. Good riddance.

My second 28mm was really my Vivitar 28-90 zoom, which I used exclusively for my 28mm work for the next several years. Once I began buying and selling photo gear in the late 1980s, I owned numerous 28mm lenses, but during that time period there were only a couple that I actually used, and as a result, specifically remember: a Pentax K 28/2.8, which was a crazy sharp optic, and my current 28mm, a Nikkor AIs 28/2.8. The Nikkor has a scratch on the front element -- about 1.5 cm long -- and nobody was willing to pay a reasonable price for it, so I just kept it. I've owned it for over 20 years. I've posted pics I took with it on a previous page in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Wow! This lens plays completely in another league than any other 28mm I've seen before!
Sharp, super high contrast, very low CA and very nice bokeh and 3D effect.
How much did it cost?

Short answer: you don't want to know Wink

If you would have told me 1 year ago I would pay 3000USD for a single lens I would have fallen on the floor in hystertics.

The new retail price is currently 4200, however like all the current Leica M lenses (or nearly all), they are impossible to find new!

It is argueably the cheapest of the leica super-lenses, and some contend it is the best lens ever made by leica.

The current lecia line is nothing short of spectacular, with the newest ASPH lenses offering incredible digital performance.

I'm a very reluctant leica fan, but the results have won me over. The 18,21 and 24 elmars are breathtaking. The 36 and 50 asph summiluxes legendary, especially in fashion photography, the 75 and 90 summicron ASPHs are the sharest varients ever, and I suspect nothing today can surpass the 135 APO telyt-M at that FL.

The price for such a lens set, with the 28/2 is about 33,000USD---if you could find them!

This does not include any exotics, like the wide summiluxes or the noctilux Smile add an M9 body for a cool 40K, hehe.

I may never manage another modern leica lens--i do have a 50/2 of the current formula, but I have no regrets about the 28.

full
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6705665951_2f79acae94_o.jpg
note the focal plane is at the blue jean seem in the foreground---the pony is actually out of focus!

Last edited by uhoh7 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone own the nikkor ais 28mm f2.0 ?

How is it compare to the other 28s f2.0 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

here is the AI 28/2 @f/2

full
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5267/5662060528_7edf04a1a3_o.jpg
focus on the slicing machine at left. Shot on original nex-5--not as good in low light as 5n.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I had Zeiss 2/35 ZF and Nikkor 28/2 Ais... I sold the Zeiss and kept the Nikkor. I don't think I ever will sell the Nikkor.

PS. Anybody knows why the pictures are showing in the preview but not when I submitted the post?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonc wrote:
At one point I had Zeiss 2/35 ZF and Nikkor 28/2 Ais... I sold the Zeiss and kept the Nikkor. I don't think I ever will sell the Nikkor.

PS. Anybody knows why the pictures are showing in the preview but not when I submitted the post?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bonc! You have good reason to keep Nikon, beautiful images! From now you pictures will shop up properly. Anti spam function not allow to post to new members.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once had a spiratone 28/2.8 in m42 that was a very good lens, especially with black and white. i am thinking of getting a nikon f-mount lens in 24 or 28. this is a fine thread on the 28s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonc wrote:

Thanks. Nice photos. Just got my nikkor ais 28/2. It's on the way to join the family. Pentax K28/2, A28/2, kiron28/2 are waiting... Wait, do i miss something? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila: thanks
@hoanpham: it surely is a lovey lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hoanpham: hope you really enjoy your new lens!!
I have been looking for this copy, hope I find one soon, too! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

I've owned the Nikkor 28/2, ZF 2/28 and Leica R 28 Elamrit v.2.

The Zeiss surprisingly wasn't as sharp as I'd hoped, not dramatically more than the Nikkor (or so it seemed with my sample), STRONG vignetting and pretty steep field curvature close up. Some call this an 'artistic lens' but it was more of a pain in the ass than anything. Never warmed to it.

The Nikon suffers noticeable haze from spherical aberrations up to f/2.8 but makes it far more forgiving with skin tones. Pleasing bokeh and underlying crisp sharpness remains present. With all due respect to the 3rd party optics of the same time period mentioned above, I don't think a single one of them can best the Nikkor by any objective metric. The Nikkor 28/2.8 may be sharper close-up but is inferior to the faster lens for objects at distance and I'd rate the f/2 a better all-purpose lens.

Was always dubious about the Leica, figuring it was more legend than fact. I unexpectedly stumbled upon and purchased a fairly-priced 28 Elmarit v.2, forcing me to reconsider the prejudice. Sumptuous colors and subtle tonality I've not seen from aNy Nikkor or Zeiss, 3 dimensionality to subjects shot at MFD and wide-open, out-resolving the sensor by a great margin. 100% cropped JPEG's off my D700 are startling in the amount of recorded detail.

Sold the ZF to fund the Leica and worth every pfennig.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my best 28, as discussed previously, but probably my most used one.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just reminds me why I would love a FF digicam - wides look wide again...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

full:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6844679645_515e56287e_o.jpg

leica 28/2 on nex 5n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many 28's collected over the years. Some good, some crap, some I still have never tested. Haha.
I just read this thread start to finish, it has inspired me to pull them out again and test them all even just to share here so more people can see how different inexpensive lenses render in this focal.

....then we just need a thread like this for 35's, 50's, best ultra wide, best portrait focal and best tele. Haha. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is Konica UC-Hexanon 28/1.8, the lens shows amazing color and bokah at wide open, plus the 18-cm focus distance, though it spent me USD 499...... Crying or Very sad