Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon-DX 200/4 - Black Beauty
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one and the last one are very pretty
I love how the light falls on the flowers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last shot is a piece of art. Way to go Thomas

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank yo everyone for the kind words.
The lens is a pleasure to use.

uddhava wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
I have acquired a Yashinon 200mm f4 lens of my own.
Optically it is excellent but had an aperture problem.
It is in excellent condition except for one thing - the aperture blades are sluggish to slow, and won't operate below about f5.6. There is oil on the blades.
My son has taken the lens and given it a complete service - repairing the aperture to "as-new" condition, and cleaning the lens elements while at it.
This might sound like a proud dad speaking, but that boy is amazing.
I asked him to document the steps in the process of dis-assembly and he has agreed.
Hopefully, it will be posted here on the forum for anyone else to see, who might have a similar problem.
As I watch, he is repairing his own Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8
Cheers
OH

You are fortunate your son can fix your lenses like that.
What wood is that table made from? Did you make it?
How do you rate the Yashinon with your other 200s?

Yes, my son has a gift for understanding the way that things go together and is quite skilled.
The wood in the table is camphor laurel. Yes it is one of mine and I finished it recently for our Guild Wood Show.
It grows wild along the east coast of Australia and is considered a pest species.
The timber is usually beautifully coloured towards the heart of the tree.
It is easy to work and has a delightful camphor aroma when cut or shaved.
As for how the Yashinon compares to other 200mm lenses - I will have a shootout one day, but its great joy is the way that it handles - its ergonomics are very good in the hand.
Thanks again
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Yes, my son has a gift for understanding the way that things go together and is quite skilled.
The wood in the table is camphor laurel. Yes it is one of mine and I finished it recently for our Guild Wood Show.
It grows wild along the east coast of Australia and is considered a pest species.
As for how the Yashinon compares to other 200mm lenses - I will have a shootout one day, but its great joy is the way that it handles - its ergonomics are very good in the hand.
Thanks again
OH

I thought that might be camphor, because my brother had a bunch of it and made cutting boards for everyone in the family from it. When you sand or plane that wood it gives off a pretty strong smell. You made good use of the wood grain on your table. I like wood very much and can do some simple wood working, but wood is very expensive here in Hungary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Thanks again
OH

I thought that might be camphor, because my brother had a bunch of it and made cutting boards for everyone in the family from it. When you sand or plane that wood it gives off a pretty strong smell. You made good use of the wood grain on your table. I like wood very much and can do some simple wood working, but wood is very expensive here in Hungary.

Mucho Gratias Amigo.
Camphor Laurel is such a pest over here that it is felled constantly and is available free to whoever can collect it.
The Woodworkers Guild that I belong to has its own slabbing mill and we are constantly milling camphor.
It is considered a cheap timber on the east coast of Australia, although it will not grow in Tasmania and the Tasmanians value it highly.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wet day here so what to photograph on a wet day - something from the shelter of the verandah.
Wet foliage can work.
The Yashinon gave me enough reach.
Here are some images from this little shoot.
Mono in NIK
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Yashica JP was my first SLR and I always loved the aesthetic of the chrome and black lenses. I think all the ones produced are shown here: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm (f/1.4. 1.7 and 2), 135mm and 200mm. All the lenses remain very usable to this day.

As far as I know (which may not be much) the DX line of lenses is single-coated. Multi-coating began with the DS-M series.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:
A Yashica JP was my first SLR and I always loved the aesthetic of the chrome and black lenses. I think all the ones produced are shown here: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm (f/1.4. 1.7 and 2), 135mm and 200mm. All the lenses remain very usable to this day.

As far as I know (which may not be much) the DX line of lenses is single-coated. Multi-coating began with the DS-M series.

Yes, I am sure that you are right about the single coating.
Also agree that the aesthetics of these lenses are something special.
That is a lovely collection - congratulations
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all except the 2.8/28 and am very happy with the series.
All are good performers with no duds among them.
T

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set of lenses!

Nice photos, Tom!
Good to see some samples from this lens again.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using my Yashinon DX 50 / 1.4 more and more on my Sony, it's a wonderful lens and I'll certainly buy others in the same series when I see them.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection, of course.

Anyone have used the DX 35 mm?

What about his IQ?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

What about his IQ?

Yes - it is very good
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:

What about his IQ?

Yes - it is very good
Tom

Thank you, Tom.

I can see, it's a very good 35 mm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have acquired a Yashinon 200mm f4 lens of my own.
Optically it is excellent but had an aperture problem.
It is in excellent condition except for one thing - the aperture blades are sluggish to slow, and won't operate below about f5.6. There is oil on the blades.
My son has taken the lens and given it a complete service - repairing the aperture to "as-new" condition, and cleaning the lens elements while at it.
This might sound like a proud dad speaking, but that boy is amazing.
I asked him to document the steps in the process of dis-assembly and he has agreed.
Hopefully, it will be posted here on the forum for anyone else to see, who might have a similar problem.
As I watch, he is repairing his own Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8
Cheers
OH

Mate, your son is far more capable than I am...I've done a few takumars, jenas and rokkors but when I set about trying to cleaning my recently acquired Yashinon 200 f/4 and all i have are a bunch of screws but its still all in one piece! Im stumped! Im up in Brisbane or I would have brought it to you for a consult..
Did you ever come up with a set of instructions for the disassembly? I would very much appreciate your son's insights on how to go about this

Cheers

Satyan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Satyan,
Yikes - that was four years ago..... where has the time gone.
I'm not sure if the process was ever documented, but you can message him as he sometimes visits the forum.
His forum name is BeardsAreBest
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Thank you...

And awesome photos...I’ll try to capture some pics with my copy this weekend (cleaned or otherwise!)

Regards

Satyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:
I think all the ones produced are shown here: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm (f/1.4. 1.7 and 2), 135mm and 200mm.

you missed the very rare Yashinon-DX 100mm f/2.8 Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/a7-and-auto-yashinon-dx-2-8-100mm-t70752.html