Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon DS-M 50mm ƒ/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Works For Me Reply with quote

I just bought this lens at a hefty $50 and while it has been years since anyone addressed the matter here, even has a small bend in the rim but that's okay. I plan to keep it in my personal stash and not sell it but just take it out when I feel like it to push it best I can.

I appreciate that you showed the RAW files as I don't want to see your image manipulation skills past testing the camera's capabilities. For a first run they look interesting and let's face it the craft of a tool in the hand of an artist will vary radically from person to person, and even situation to situation.

I also appreciate (after the fact of my purchase) noting that hinnerker recommends this lens. Perhaps not at what I paid, but so be it.

Hey, this is my first post here! So, thanks for the info. Just hoping the one I bought is clean inside and lens-wise. I just have a feeling there aren't many of these out there which means having it in your possession (of course, if it's junk forget it, but it's not) gives you a leg up for whatever reason.

Peace.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi it feels like i know you all and thats probably because I read many good posts here and im posting on mflenses on facebook under my name Petter Düring.

I´ve just bought the DX 1.4 version for 30 usd so i will come back with some test shots here as well if anyone is interested.

I must say that I agree to both sides.

If you for instance have a test section of various lenses with ratings I very much appreciate unedited pictures but still when i decide for me to get a lens want to see the output after some PP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post processing, shot as jpg:
50mm Yashica DS-M f/1.4 at f/1.4

50mm Yashica DS-M f/1.4 at f/2.8

[/img]

Best wishes,
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine generally as a portrait lens, or where I want a lot of abrasions. As a high quality prime it is not near the mark, but as a useful lens it is one of my favorites.

All with some post processing, but all wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens, but i have not used it for a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I must say I have sympathy with CA, the tone of response by some members are a bit bullyish. Seems certain members are world authorities on all things manual lens related and I bow to their normally superior understanding, however it turns out some are just dicks as well. Test your lenses how you like, when you like and where you like!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eveyone
I have this lens, bought it rather cheap because of some issues, but neverthless here is the 100% crop sample photo, some sharpening and level adjustment. I find my one very sharp even at 1.4 and FF of Pentax K1.
The complete photo can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129563138@N03/52869991548/in/datetaken-public/

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the wide open performance of this lens quite glowy and with many abberrations despite the fact (as I understand) that it uses thoriated glass.
Having said so I find also myself grabbing this lens quite frequently. I guess the haptics (feels great to use), original bokeh and that it sharpens up quickly make it a joy to use.

_DSF9608 by Pab, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pabeu, my lens Auto Yashinon DS-M 50/1.4 is not radioactive at all, pity, but https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses mentiones that all of tem are "hot" so there might be some variants of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Macheck. Did you meassuere your lens for radiation? I understand that not all radioactive lenses necessary turn yellow.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did measure it.