Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashikor telephoto and wide lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Yashikor telephoto and wide lenses Reply with quote

Today I tried Yashica's telephoto and wide lenses (the type you screw onto the front of your lens). Here they are:

It was just a quick test using each of these lenses on three primes: Nikon SC 50/1.4 non-Ai, Vivitar 28/2 (Komine version), and Kiron 105/2.8. The Yashikors have a 55mm thread, so I had to use adapter rings to mount them on the above lenses. The camera remained static while I alternated shots with and without the Yashikor lenses. Every time I added or removed one of the Yashikors, I had to refocus.

All photos taken with Nikon D700 at f/11, ISO 200, no post-processing (except RAW>jpeg conversion).

Nikon SC 50/1.4 non-Ai

1) Naked shot

2) With telephoto lens

3) With telephoto lens (crop)

4) With wide angle lens

5) With wide angle lens (crop)

Last edited by invisible on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 28/2 (Komine version)

1) Naked shot

2) With telephoto lens

4) With wide angle lens

I suppose that these Yashicor lenses were meant to be mounted on normal lenses, which would explain the corners here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 105/2.8

I'm aware that I need to dust my office Smile

1) Naked shot

2) With telephoto lens

4) With wide angle lens

Last edited by invisible on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts: I'm always weary of putting anything between my lens and my subject due to potential loss of quality. To my surprise, these ancient Yashikors did a pretty good job, in particular the telephoto one, which may or may not have caused any loss of image quality at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm, suprised that you even continued that test to its (bitter) end... Wink
I have thrown away much better lenses Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
ehemm, suprised that you even continued that test to its (bitter) end... Wink
I have thrown away much better lenses Twisted Evil

Do you see much loss of quality in the photos taken with the telephoto lens?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The telephoto works very well on the front of a macro lens for some reason.
My son used it on his Canon FD 3.5/50 with excellent results
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand is right!
the tele at least actually enhances the results of the Canon 50mm Macro, on my A7.
See thread http://forum.mflenses.com/yashikor-auxiliary-telephoto-lens-14-55mm-thread-t69988,highlight,%2Byashikor.html
also works exceptionally well on Minolta Rokkor 55mm 1.8.
I've not tried the wide aux lens yet but will have a go and report back. Smile

BAB.

Also the viewfinder that comes with these may not be useable on the sony but it does look good up on there. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments, Oldhand and BeardsAreBest. Your photos look great, and they made me want to try these lenses out in the field. I agree about the telephoto lens working great on macro lenses (going by my own experience with the Kiron and your samples with the Canon).

I'm not sure where that comment by kds315* came from. This is not a competition – we are here to share our love for vintage photography lenses. It's not the first time that that I see him reply in that tone, which is uncharacteristic for a moderator (here or in any forum). My takeaway is that now I know that someone in Germany has thrown away "much better lenses" than these – thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Thank you for your comments, Oldhand and BeardsAreBest. Your photos look great, and they made me want to try these lenses out in the field. I agree about the telephoto lens working great on macro lenses (going by my own experience with the Kiron and your samples with the Canon).

I'm not sure where that comment by kds315* came from. This is not a competition – we are here to share our love for vintage photography lenses. It's not the first time that that I see him reply in that tone, which is uncharacteristic for a moderator (here or in any forum). My takeaway is that now I know that someone in Germany has thrown away "much better lenses" than these – thank you.

I think that Klaus was simply saying that these lenses were originally made as a cheap addition to provide some flexibility to the fixed lenses from the Yashica rangefinder range.
My son has reminded me that they were probably made for the Yashinon DX 45mm lens range and optically best suited to that set of lenses.
I suppose this explains why they perform best in conjunction with lenses at around the 50mm lens focal.
Anyway - take them and have fun with them
Cheers
OH