Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML Zoom...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML Zoom... Reply with quote

ah zooms... I already sold them all, why did I decide to buy another one?

the Yashica arrived also today. Just tried it. Good news, it is incredibly, I mean incredibly, sharp wide open (in the center - not in the edges).
But... look at the distortion:

at 28mm, barrel:

at 85mm, pincushion:

And this was described as one of best ML zooms, with "well corrected distortion"...

I already know, I am never going to use this lens. Mad

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a HunderWasser house Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vignetting is quite noticeable too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any distortion! This is what all my lenses look like.

Just kidding! Laughing

This is really bad. I think I have some better zoom lenses. When I ever will get the chance to visit you one day, Orio, I am going to bring some and testshoot the same pics. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I can't see any distortion! This is what all my lenses look like.
Just kidding! Laughing

This is really bad. I think I have some better zoom lenses. When I ever will get the chance to visit you one day, Orio, I am going to bring some and testshoot the same pics. Wink

You will be very welcome, Carsten. But about distortion... don't forget you are using a 1.6x crop camera. Imagine to crop the central frame out of my pictures, and you would cut the most evidently distorted parts which are those at the edges, in the case of pincushion, and for barrel, you would cut the regular parts but the distorted parts left alone seem less distorted. Distortion is one of those things that must be judged on full frame.

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to look carefully to see distortion, usually I don't care
But distortion can be 'corrected', here is the 85mm
Resolution, flare, chromatic aberration are more difficult to correct

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as you said about the 28-70 pics from the other day, a zoom is a zoom. We can not compare performance to primes. The ML 28-85 is a inexpensive lens. I still think it is useful for a "walking around lens where you will be shooting a variety of closer range subjects (mostly people). If you had this lens on the camera for a family party, steet festival, or trip to the beach it would perform just fine. I think really the bottom line is zooms are for convienience and have comprimises. Find the comprimises you can live with and use the lens when it's positive attributes shine.
Smile Andy