Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Just got one of these from Goodwill.. cost me a small fortune (well, $4.95 which I guess is a VERY small fortune) it has VERY fine tracery of what look like fungal filaments on the extreme outer rim of the lens (behind front element?) which are only visible if one peers very hard and the light shines on the front element from a particular direction. Looking THROUGH the lens it's invisible.. and a tiny spot (1mm) deeper inside.

I would love to clean this as my first impressions are

a) That it is a wonderful lens to use on my Oly E-1 as images 'snap' into focus, and

b) It seems able to give my Y/C Planar 50mm F1.4 a run for its money. Indeed looking at the construction, casing and lens element diameters it is hard (unless looking at the front name ring) to tell them apart!

Anyone got any good info in dismantling one of these, and / or using one?

Thanks

Doug.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still awaiting advice!

Anyone out there with experience of this lens in use, or dismantling one?

PLEASE?

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T CLEAN use it and enjoy! Store right, low humidity, allow to light throw (uv filter on front) and fungus will not grow ever. Cleaning need only if fungus covered all over lens surface. All cleaning is a risk on lens safety especially if you don't have practice and use less if fungus spot is small like this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Obi Wan.. though I think you may have intended NO UV filter in front?

I shall take your (as always) very sensible advice. I guess the desire for perfection sometimes outweighs ones intent to follow common sense!

I shall as you say conserve it not destroy it Smile

Doug

Attila wrote:
DON'T CLEAN use it and enjoy! Store right, low humidity, allow to light throw (uv filter on front) and fungus will not grow ever. Cleaning need only if fungus covered all over lens surface. All cleaning is a risk on lens safety especially if you don't have practice and use less if fungus spot is small like this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use UV filters as transparent lens caps in storage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - if you need technical advice on fixing lenses and cameras, go to http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi and search through their archives for info. If you can't find the guidance you seek, just ask a question. It's one of the best web resources for lens/camera repair that you can find...

nemesis101 wrote:
Still awaiting advice!

PLEASE?

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Biggles..

OMG Fokker triplanes at 3 o'clock..

going into cloud...

dammit the Camel's cut out...

Algy..? Biggles...? . Smile

Thanks, really...

Doug

biggles3 wrote:
Hi - if you need technical advice on fixing lenses and cameras, go to http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi and search through their archives for info. If you can't find the guidance you seek, just ask a question. It's one of the best web resources for lens/camera repair that you can find...

nemesis101 wrote:
Still awaiting advice!

PLEASE?

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Tally Ho Doug!

Just for your interest, here's a useful guide using a Zeiss 50 1.7 that'll give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to risk dismantling the Yashica: http://www.monopix.co.uk/zeiss50mm.shtml

I've taken a couple of my Zeiss Planars apart to fix issues but have yet to have a go at my Yashi MLs. I bought a couple of 55 1.2 MLs last week - one's perfect and the other is optically perfect but the aperture blades are oiled and stick so I'm contemplating removing the front lens assembly in the hope that I can clean the blades they should reveal...

Your only issue - apart from not introducing dust - is whether the glass elements in the front which need attention are glued - if the fungal filaments are between such elements then forget it. Believe it or not, if you do get the glass apart, the best thing to remove light fungal infection is Pond's cold cream. Works a treat!

And I'm delighted to come across another 4/3 enthusiast - I use an E-3 and delight in using the Zeiss 55 1.2 and 85 1.2 lenses - imagine how much you'd have to pay to get a 170mm f1.2 lens made by Zeiss! Not much change from $150,000 (and at least two thirds up front) - I asked!

Cheers from wet Wales to sunny Oregon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry Sad

I thought i was bad (with over 150 cameras and even more lenses) but whereas my case is acute, yours (from the pics of the Contax hoard) is, sadly terminal... Smile

I have taken a lot of lenses apart in the past - and hey - even put some back together.. and yes used Pond's as well (and not for that radiant softer skin sheen either) it was the specifics of the 50mm ML that I was after - like how, and are there any booby-trap springs that would want to leap out at my eyes...

Yes I am a 4/3 person (E-1, Panny L-1 and now a E-620) also 35mm (only 5 Contax bodies and none are medium format) though I do now have 27 yashica bodies in 35mm and medium format.. and 21 Pentaxes, and 7 Mirandas and 4 Rolleis and .. well 'nuff said? lol

As for sunny Oregon - it was, and now it's.. not!

Mid-week is meant to hit 90+ F.. it's been a roller-coaster.. 60 - 90 - 60 for the past few weeks.

As for Wales.. know it only too well.. indeed when at school (with Tom Brown I fear) I walked with a friend from the South Coast up through the centre and then over to Aberistwyth where I got a train back to the east.. It was only later that I realised I had been happily walking across hillsides littered with unparked mineshafts! Hmm

So hi from overcast Portland!

Doug

PS I have been up in a Sopwith and an SE series too... Smile

biggles3 wrote:
Razz Tally Ho Doug!

Just for your interest, here's a useful guide using a Zeiss 50 1.7 that'll give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to risk dismantling the Yashica: http://www.monopix.co.uk/zeiss50mm.shtml

I've taken a couple of my Zeiss Planars apart to fix issues but have yet to have a go at my Yashi MLs. I bought a couple of 55 1.2 MLs last week - one's perfect and the other is optically perfect but the aperture blades are oiled and stick so I'm contemplating removing the front lens assembly in the hope that I can clean the blades they should reveal...

Your only issue - apart from not introducing dust - is whether the glass elements in the front which need attention are glued - if the fungal filaments are between such elements then forget it. Believe it or not, if you do get the glass apart, the best thing to remove light fungal infection is Pond's cold cream. Works a treat!

And I'm delighted to come across another 4/3 enthusiast - I use an E-3 and delight in using the Zeiss 55 1.2 and 85 1.2 lenses - imagine how much you'd have to pay to get a 170mm f1.2 lens made by Zeiss! Not much change from $150,000 (and at least two thirds up front) - I asked!

Cheers from wet Wales to sunny Oregon.