Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 24mm f/2.8 - Quick Preview
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 24mm f/2.8 - Quick Preview Reply with quote

This morning I received this small lens, in excellent condition.
I made a first few test shots, here's my first impressions, to be of course verified further:

Test 1 - wide open

This shows the only real unsatisfactory thing I have found so far with this lens - quite an amount of vignetting wide open (f/2.8 ). It does not appear to disappear quickly either, it becomes acceptable only at f/5.6
So for this aspect I would rate it below par.
The sharpness instead is excellent also wide open. I focused this shot at infinite, yet even the nearest parts have acceptable definition. And stopping down the sharpness becomes really excellent.
Also excellent is the edge performance, wide open edges appear just a very little soft, which is normal for this focal lenght, and they become excellent and virtually identical to centre performance stopped down. This is truly a remarkable quality.

Test 2 - closeup performance

The lens focuses down to 0.3 m and the detail seems excellent. This shot is wide open and yet you can verify vrey good detail. There seems to be a slight glow wide open where light contrast is high - not really disturbing, actually I would say rather on the pleasing side.

Test 3 - bokeh and roundness

This shot was not done ideally for the purpose, I should have done it differently and yet, you can still guess that the performance on this aspect is truly excellent, I would say similar to Zeiss Contax lenses

Test 4 - geometrical distortion

I do not even have to comment on this one, just judge the image. Perfect. No, more than perfect I would say astounding. I know of 50mm lenses that are not as correct as this 24mm lens. Incredible. So far, I only got this kind of geometrical excellence from Zeiss lenses.
I rate this the best quality of this lens.

One last note: do NOT judge on the colours from these samples: I forgot to convert the images from Adobe RGB to SRGB, so the colours appear incorrectly washed out.

I'll make a more accurate review for Attila, with more samples, in the next days.
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

Too bad for me your nice review and comments came some hours late :

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Looks pretty good except for the vignetting. Was this using the 5D?

Yes Steve, since I got the 5D I always test on it, because crop cameras do not tell the whole truth about a lens.
But I was thinking to add also crop camera testing on my website, because people with crop cameras are rightfully interested on how a lens can actually perform on their machine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Hi Orio,

FLorent, my lens is 24mm what you missed is the 2.8/28
It's too bad anyway, because the 2.8/28 is rated as one of the best Yashica ML lenses, and 11 Euros for it was a true steal. Competent opinions rated the 2.8/28 near to the Contax equivalent (Distagon 2.8/28 ) under all aspects except distortion - which is anyway moderate also in the Yashica lens.

Both the ML 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 are budget lenses that offer very good performance for the money and are therefore recommendable.

-

Last edited by Orio on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you have this lens!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am glad you have this lens!

yes, me too, I was afraid of problems but it was only the case of a seller that does not care about contacts. I have met some. She will get positive rating on all aspects from me but not on communication.

Your Kaleinar has arrived too. I have taken a couple shots and I have to say, it does not look soft at all on the 5D Very Happy
I will post a couple of samples.

Attila did you manage to open the box cap and take the filters out? I was unable to Sad Damn did they glue that or what?
Any suggestion to open it? (except breaking it with a rock, that is) Laughing
The box looks nice it would be a pity to have to break it.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great ! Please put Kalienar and Yashica samples when you have time to your member gallery and I will link them to the main gallery. Many thanks!

I couldn't opened the filters, I believe they are not glued and no tricky just they never taken out from long time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Flor27 wrote:
Hi Orio,

FLorent, my lens is 24mm what you missed is the 2.8/28

For sure I an not yet asleep... Embarassed

Quote:
It's too bad anyway, because the 2.8/28 is rated as one of the best Yashica ML lenses, and 11 Euros for it was a true steal. Competent opinions rated the 2.8/28 near to the Contax equivalent (Distagon 2.8/28 ) under all aspects except distortion - which is anyway moderate also in the Yashica lens.

Both the ML 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 are budget lenses that offer very good performance for the money and are therefore recommendable.

I will try to keep it in mind, thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great lens and a good find. Congratulations!
ML lenses are often really recommendable.

If the only "problem" you see is the vignetting at the 5D, this lens could be a very nice one for a crop-DSLR, with a very useful 38mm equivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila did you manage to open the box cap and take the filters out? I was unable to Sad Damn did they glue that or what?
Any suggestion to open it? (except breaking it with a rock, that is) Laughing
The box looks nice it would be a pity to have to break it.

-

Orio, if this cap is screwed on, a trick I was shown years ago which always works is to tighten it even more before trying to unscrew. It breaks the seal formed over time, and then will unscrew more easily. But it's an act of faith! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
use people with crop cameras are rightfully interested on how a lens can actually perform on their machine.
maybe a sugestion put a thin crop mark on your 5d picture to show APSC coverage, it will save you time in shooting everything twice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Quote:
use people with crop cameras are rightfully interested on how a lens can actually perform on their machine.
maybe a sugestion put a thin crop mark on your 5d picture to show APSC coverage, it will save you time in shooting everything twice!

I don't know if it's exactly the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Orio, if this cap is screwed on, a trick I was shown years ago which always works is to tighten it even more before trying to unscrew. It breaks the seal formed over time, and then will unscrew more easily. But it's an act of faith! Smile

Yes, I use to do that also Smile But in this case it did not work so I used a tenail.

-