Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 21mm f3.5 on Sony A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 21mm f3.5 on Sony A7R Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Yashica lenses a lot, they do the job with no drama or anything special, which is why they are not hugely popular or expensive. There is nothing 'special' about the Yashica's I've got, nothing that makes them outstanding when compared to other makers lenses. They are just very good lenses, and there's nothing wrong with that. A long time ago I likened Yashica lenses to Toyota's, there's little to get excited about, but they do exactly what they set out to do.
It's a great set of pictures Attila, and difficult pictures as well. Many lesser lenses would be flaring badly and washed out taking some of those pictures into the sun, that's an impressive lens - and photographer. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Some Yashica lenses are out of mass, in my experience ML 21, 24 and macro 55mm are excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! How would you say it compares to the zuiko 3.5/21? Looking at the images I enjoyed the zuiko post better, but interested to hear. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Very nice! How would you say it compares to the zuiko 3.5/21? Looking at the images I enjoyed the zuiko post better, but interested to hear. Thanks for sharing

I was just thinking and wondering the same

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A long time ago I likened Yashica lenses to Toyota's, there's little to get excited about, but they do exactly what they set out to do.

Great comparison, and spot on!

Talking about cars: in picture no. 5 i see a Lancia Thema Pininfarina SW! Attila, you should've taken a pic of that one instead of the Merc..... those were great cars (owned one years ago...) and even back then they were rare, today they have become dinosaurs!

BTW: I like your series of wide-angle tests! Good work!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Attila. I was in the same area yesterday with my Yashinon ML 1.7/50mm.
I will post some photos later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zuiko is better lens, smaller, more tolerant to flare , probably sharper. Diameter of Zuiko only 49mm I love small lenses. Yashica has one significant benefit to me, it's mount Smile Contax I can't afford 1000 USD or more for a 21mm Distagon , this lens can be usefull on Contax film cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think Zuiko is better lens, smaller, more tolerant to flare , probably sharper. Diameter of Zuiko only 49mm I love small lenses. Yashica has one significant benefit to me, it's mount Smile Contax I can't afford 1000 USD or more for a 21mm Distagon , this lens can be usefull on Contax film cameras.

A bit more distortion too? Though the corners seem better in terms of sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good, I particularly like #12. However, I agree, the Zuiko looks slightly better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I like Yashica lenses a lot, they do the job with no drama or anything special, which is why they are not hugely popular or expensive. There is nothing 'special' about the Yashica's I've got, nothing that makes them outstanding when compared to other makers lenses. They are just very good lenses, and there's nothing wrong with that. A long time ago I likened Yashica lenses to Toyota's, there's little to get excited about, but they do exactly what they set out to do.
It's a great set of pictures Attila, and difficult pictures as well. Many lesser lenses would be flaring badly and washed out taking some of those pictures into the sun, that's an impressive lens - and photographer. Wink

That's my take on Yashicas too, reliable but not outstanding. The 2.8/24 is pretty good though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Olympus 21/3,5, from these Attila's samples, way more than Yashica.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree re: Oly. I do like Yashica lenses though. I have several. As regards ultra wide I managed to get decent bargains on a Asahi Super Multi coated Takumar 20mm 4.5 (89 usd + 5 s&H) and have coming in the mail a CZJ flektogon 20mm f4 (79 usd 13 s&h) Haven't had a chance to really try them out yet but thought I would ask opinions.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML 21mm f3.5 on Sony A7R Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Looking at these images, the upper left corner seems to be quite un-sharp, even tough tese images were probably not taken wide open.
I recetly have acquired a Yashica ML 21mm 1:3.5 which has the same problem (the upper right corner is distinctively better).
Is this a problem of the lens, or is your (mine) adapter not plan-parallel?
Superwides do react especially sensitive to a small change in flange distance ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possible adapter fault, I use cheap , loose fit Chinese adapters

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I'll check my adapter - also a Chinese one - with other lenses such as the ML 28mm f2.8.

Stephan